SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glen3a

Why type of wildlife come visits your yard?

glen3a
18 years ago

I am just curious because I was outside near sunset when I spotted what I thought was a hummingbird. It turns out it wasn't a hummingbird but a hummingbird hawk moth hovering around my impatiens. Neat! A bit ironic though, since I also have a hummingbird feeder up all summer and not one real hummingbird.

It seems that as the years go by and the trees get bigger, the flowers bloom more, and there's more plants, there's also more insects such as butterflies, dragon flies, moths, bees, flies and of course, the pesky wasps. Have not seen a monarch butterfly though, but now I have milkweed for them to eat, my neighbor got it second hand and she had no where to plant it.

I had a tree frog come visit my pond. This amazes me since I am not really close to forested areas or water and there is so much concrete around. Maybe because it was a wet spring he ventured further than he normally would and found my yard. Anyways, there he was sitting on my floating aligator ornament in the pond.

A baby bunny occasionally runs through. Cute but it's just as well that he doesn't stay, since they can chew things.

The squirrels are becoming annoying because they run down the fence and steal apples. It amazes me how agile they are, even climbing the neighbors stucco wall, but they always seem to 'act up' more when the apples are ripe. Otherwise they pretty well stay in the back lane and don't come into my yard.

Other than that, some birds which I really don't know the names of. Yellow warbler? It was cute when a bunch of them stopped in and were splashing around my pond waterfall. I did see a blue jay last spring.

Of course there's the stray cats which I really don't like them to visit and the slugs which are overtaking everything. Last night we had company and were sitting in the gazebo. I put the drink cooler on the grass and next thing you know, slugs were crawling all over it. Yuck! Next year it's definitely time to order some of that natural slug control stuff.

Curious to hear about what types of unique wildlife others have visit their yards.

Glen

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery