SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fantim

How to insulate an 1890 row house built with a 3inch thick wood frame?

fantim
2 years ago

Hello!

We are completely renovating a row house built around 1890 in Montreal. We want to insulate from the inside, because after all these renovations we have no budget left to change the outside brick.

I think the structure of the house is common to Montreal, but not to the rest of the world. The house rests on a 24" thick fieldstone foundation, and is basically a solid wood house with a brick siding. The wood is 3 inch thick, and seems to be in great shape. From the outside in, we have:

Brick < Air gap < 3 inch thick massive softwood planks

There might be a tar paper somewhere in there, but definitely no housewrap.

In French, the wood is called "carré de madrier" - so chic.

The floor joists are cast into the foundation, which complicates our insulation process. The house is longer than the neighboring houses, and has a horse carriage entrance on one side. This means it is exposed to the elements at the front, the back, the right side and part of the left side.

We've been getting all kinds of contradicting advice on how to insulate this thing. Some say we can't insulate at all, while others tells us to drench everything in polyurethane. The main concern is that insulation causes the dew point to move in the wall and could cause the wood to rot. Keep in mind that Montreal is deadly cold in the winter - it can be as cold as -35C/-31F - and scorching hot in the summer, 35C/95F. Wild temperature swings throughout the year.

Here are the options we were given:

1. The basic

• Existing brick + air gap + 3" wood + air barrier/housewrap? + rigid foam insulation (R5 or R10) taped for vapor barrier + furring + dry wall

2. The cellulose

• Existing brick + air gap + 3" wood + air barrier/housewrap? + 2x4 framing structure installed 1" away from wood planks FILLED with dense packed cellulose + vapor barrier + dry wall

3. The sprayed on crap

• Existing brick + air gap + 3" wood + 1" sprayed on urethane foam + 2x4 wall with either more foam or cellulose + dry wall.

The basic option has so little insulation I don't think it would cause any rot on the wood, but then we turn into popsicles.

I personally like the cellulose option - It seems like a great material. However, I'm not sure if I would need to install an air barrier, or if I can toss the cellulose directly on the wood. Then, there's still the issue of condensation in the wood and finding someone who does cellulose in walls.

As for spray foam, I'm very skeptical of seemingly miraculous products. Contractors make it sound magical, which automatically raises red flags in my mind. There's also many new studies that show it could lead to health issues (and not just when it's being installed) - but nothing proved yet as far as I know. From the pictures, you can probably see the foundation was covered in spray foam by a previous owner, and, well, our engineer told us we needed to remove it for the health of the foundation. It's a pain in the ass to remove.

Which option would you recommend? Do you have any advice or ideas? Any help at all is greatly appreciated!

PS: We are planning on digging and somewhat finishing the basement this summer - which includes insulating the foundation walls. To make sure there is no cold spot on the floor that sits directly on the foundation, we were planning on shooting a little bit of urethane under the plywood. We're not sure if this would even work.

Comments (9)