SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juline17

Framing and insulation -limited by Canadian codes?

juline17
10 years ago

I've been obsessing the last few weeks about framing and insulation options, and researched answers everywhere I could think to look. However, the more I read, the more unsure I get... and it might be due to mostly american literature on the subject while the Canadian code differs.

We're planning on building on the open prairie in Canada, climate zone Dfb (likely zone 7 as referred to here?). It gets very cold in the winter with warm summers. My goal is to build a "good enough" house (better than "old" standards, but not Passivehouse standards either), preferably using hydronic in-floor heating (not geothermal) as my only (?) heating source.

It seems like the US is moving towards a few inches of XPS over 2*6 walls with standard insulation, and 6mil vapour barrier on the inside. This effectively solves the thermal bridging issue, however, what about the vapour issue?

From what I understand, in order to keep the sheeting above the dew point to avoid moisture buildup, I would need minimum 2" of XPS (R10). This would create a moisture barrier, and in essence I'd end up with vapour barriers on BOTH sides of my wall. That just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

To prevent this, I could remove the vapour barrier on the inside (move it out towards the XPS), and let the wall dry to the inside. But I've also been told that the Canadian code MUST have vapour barrier on the inside.

Vapour barrier on the inside does make sense in a cold climate, especially if A/C is not used (and I'm hoping to avoid that cost by insulating properly anyway) So, back to the drawing board...

Would substituting XPS for the higher permeability EPS solve the vapour sandwich issue? I would likely need 4" though, and I have no idea how easily stucco can be applied to any rigid foam surface, or the constructability of this system.

Completely another option might be two 2*4's, offset by 4", to fit 3 layers of Roxul Batts (or similar), with the vapour barrier on the inside (picture below from ourhouseuponmoosehill.blogspot.ca) . The main problem with this method is it likely would be very labour intensive to cut and fit all those batts, and it might very well be overkill to have that much insulation when I'm planning on in-floor heat anyway.

Yet another option would be 2*6 walls with 5" of closed foam spray, without the traditional vapour barrier (I think I get get away with this?). This does not solve any thermal bridging issue though, and I've gotten the impression that this method is quite expensive. However, saving the extra materials, time and labour might actually make it worth it?

Which method makes most sense? Any other ideas?

Thank you!

Comments (10)