SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Paint color from two different cans looks different -- update

mxk3 z5b_MI
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I had a sample can of BM Tapestry Beige and needed a little more to sample on some other other walls, so I went to a different paint shop near where I work. When I put paint from this can on the wall I knew immediately it wasn't the same -- it was yellower (the original pulled a lot of green, like a green-grey-beige sort of mix). I even painted a swatch right next to a swatch from the original can and it clearly wasn't the same, my eyes weren't deceiving me on the other wall.

The color from the original can was a contender for my foyer and another small area going down the stairs, but not the color from this second can. What I think I'm going to do is pick up a can from the paint shop in town where my painter buys his paint and evaluate the color based on that can -- if it looks like the original can and I decide to go with it I would have more assurance the final product would match that. Right? Or no?

I am curious, though -- why the difference in color between the cans of paint? Both stores are BM dealers and used BM sample paint, it wasn't a color match from another brand. I'm just really surprised, I've not run into this problem before.

Update: In post below.

Comments (9)