SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Long Hair Products

Funkyart
2 years ago

I need to reorder my Keratase Ciment Thermique -- one of the best recommendations I've received here (thank you, Mtn!!) which is a heat activated repairing milk/conditioner I add a small amount to my damp hair before blow drying. It is one of a small handful of hair products that works well and doesn't weigh down my super fine hair.

This has me wondering what other products I may want to try to convince me to keep my long hair. Three of the most influential people in my life really want me to keep my hair long-- but i struggle with volume. My old volumizers from Aveda don't really have much affect now that my hair is longer/heavier so I am willing to try one or two new products.

I am also told that a dyson airwrap will change my world-- but just not going to spend just under $600 for a hair dryer/styler. i am going to spring for new, larger velcro rollers though for just under $10 :)

Any other suggestions? I'll only consider those for fine hair-- but i am betting i am not the only one who is donning long covid hair so please suggest any long hair products you like-- but please note your hair type.

Comments (73)

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Thank you all-- good suggestions. I do need to condition my hair-- especially in the winter. I am not happy if my hair isn't silky and shiny. I am selective with conditioners and tend to stick with the ones that work without weighing down my hair. I lightly condition on top and more heavily on the ends. Also use tension when styling my hair with a round brush... and give it a shot of cold hair to "set" it. I have had this hair all my life-- and have discovered these tricks over the years. :)

I feel bad-- I really wanted this to be more generally about products for all of us with long hair... not so much about MY hair. I just want to be clear that I have made peace with my hair and appearance many years ago. That doesn't mean i don't want to keep up on products that would improve it.

Sue, thanks so much for letting me know which product you use! I assumed that was it but when i received the recommendation for a different product, i wasn't sure. The reviews for fine hair look great-- I am optimistic!

ETA - sorry, Tina. I didn't mean to overlook your suggestion. I have had texturing on the back when I wore the back much shorter than the front/sides but the effect was minimal. Layering and texturing doesn't work the same on straight, fine hair. Unless it's a very short cut, it actually does the opposite of what it is supposed to do-- it takes away movement and makes it flatter/sculpted to the head. Thanks though!

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

Funky, I feel for you. We have twin hair except yours is now longer. I cannot recommend anything else since I know you and I have traded recommendations in the past.

I’ll just say that I did try the Aquage product and the Revlon brush and found both lacking for me. The Aquage was was too heavy. I agree with Sueb the Revlon brush was clunky and maybe more for someone with long wavy hair. All the tutorials and YouTubes were young women with great hair. Sueb, i saw a photo of you here the other day and your hair is now a similar length and style to mine, but yours looks thicker. May have to try the Virtue.

Funkyart thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Related Discussions

Curly Hair - recommend products -long post

Q

Comments (6)
    I can give you recommendations as to what products to try, but you'd need to e-mail me as the list is 4 pages on a Word document. In the meantime here's some info for you... Water-soluble silicones are dimethicone copolyl (sp) & PEG-modified dimethicones. These are the only silicones 'good' for your hair. Drying alcohols are SD-40, 40-B, 23, & Isopropyl, for instance. A couple of the 'good' alcohols are steryl & ceteryl (sp). The main cleansers of shampoos are ammonium and/or sodium sulfates. They're pretty harsh/drying though. There are two books full of good information that you could borrow from your library on the subject of curly hair... Curly Girl by Lorainne (sp) Massey Curl Talk by Ouidad And there's a website dedicated to wavy & curly hair... www.naturallycurly.com There's a chemist & a shampoo, conditioner, & styling product-maker who post there, plus many other gals who are professed product junkies who've learned by trial & error. There's an ingredients dictionary, curl-411 guide, product lists/guides, articles, etc., on that site. It's free to join.
    ...See More

Hair texture products: any recommendations?

Q

Comments (50)
    I was at Ulta last week, not my favorite place to shop, looking something for my hair. I have color treated, fine hair but lots of it. I never use conditioner, a detangler or even shampoo with a conditioner. I stay away from any extra products, they make my hair flat and feel dirty the next day. I asked one of the hairdresser for a suggestion and she recommended Beach Envy volumizer by Redken. it was pricey but she said I could come in and swap it out if I didn't like it. I will say it is the best thing I have ever tried on my hair! Its almost like a gel that you apply after shampooing, work through and then rinse out. My hair is full, the slight curl, I wear it in a longish bob, stays in for at least 3 days and it does not feel dirty, it actually feels good. I like my hair to look healthy and have movement (says my hairdresser) and it does. BTW the gal from Ulta said if I didn't like that product that Fashion waves 07 that lukki suggested was very good too, she actually didn't know which one to recommend to me. I finally have a product that works for me!!! It will probably be discontinued tomorrow LOL.
    ...See More

Long hair vs short hair

Q

Comments (73)
    I also have frizzy hair. I'd like to try keratin, but I don't think I understand how it works. I'll have to research. When I was in my 20s, I used to comb Toni home perm solution through my hair in the shower. It would come out straight without the frizziness and it also bleached my mousy brown hair so it appeared sunkissed. I only did it once every couple of years because it was so hard on my hair, but man did it look good when I did. Well, you all convinced me and I just cut a couple of inches off the bottom to get back to shoulder length. I'd been growing it out over the summer, I did love being able to pull it back into a loose messy bun, but this is overall a better look for me. I can still get it into a pony tail, so still have some options. On the subject of going short, for me, I try to remember to go slow. I often think I want really short, but sometimes just a couple of inches is enough of a change. If it's not, then I go shorter. I once went from really long to a pixie cut. Big mistake.
    ...See More

Two new to me product reviews (makeup/hair)

Q

Comments (29)
    I've been looking for a tinted lip balm--thanks for the Elf and Burt's Bees recommendations. I don't care for lipstick and only wear it a few times a year. I like some color, but I certainly don't need anything that lasts more than a few hours. After I drink/eat in public, I'm always prepared to reapply. I had a BB lip balm pre-Covid and really liked it. I have fine hair, and have been using a hair care line from my stylist that's very good but pricey. I ran out a few months ago, and it wasn't convenient at the time to get more. In a pinch, I bought this Pacifica Vegan Silk shampoo and the conditioner from Target. They are great products for my hair, and I now rotate them with the more expensive stuff from my stylist.
    ...See More
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Outside-- i should have noted that I did try the Aveda you recently suggested (was it invectra?). It was nice but didn't have a noticeable increase in volume. I suspect that like the other Aveda products I used to love, it might be more effective when my hair is shorter.

And I also thought Sue's hair looked nice and thicker. I am crossing fingers for the Virtue products I just ordered!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    2 years ago

I have fine medium thick hair, thin in areas and it does looks best with very little done to it. I air dry and use hot rollers for smoothing and big waves. No product except occasional Bedhead After Party.

Sufate free shampoo but not conditioner.

Never brush, rarely comb except wide tooth in shower.

Funkyart thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

It was Invati. I have also been using it irregularly. Not in love with it and still prefer a few spritzes of the Texture Tonic along with Phomollient best. My gray hairs, which are mostly on the top and sides, can occasionally seem dry and fly-away so I sometimes work in a tiny bit of Nutriplenish on the ends. It also helps with tangles.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, same. I haven't seen a reason to keep up with it regularly. The tonic worked well for me when it was you/Sue's length.

If you do order Virtue products, sign up for emails first-- they'll send you a 10% coupon. It's not much of a percentage but the products are pricy so it's a nice little perk. I received mine after placing the order, lol.

• Mrs. S
    2 years ago

Didnt read all responses, but did you ever try Got2B Fat-tastic plumping hair mousse? check the amazon reviews. It is amazing…. I have long, fine hair.

also, if I may, dry your hair all the way from the roots going on the opposite direction of where it will fall; mostly bent over. You can always straighten it after that if necessary.

• mojomom
    2 years ago

My current favorite is Olaplex bond strengthening shampoo and conditioner. I have fine but thick hair, just below shoulder length, but seemed to be thinning a little over the last few years. A bit pricey, but it has really helped.

Funkyart thanked mojomom
  • Sueb20
    2 years ago

Oh, one more thing — I only use conditioner on my ends (ish — about 1/2 way down).

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • Feathers11
    2 years ago

Threads like these are great--I always gain a new idea. Thanks, Funky!

Mrs. S., I've seen that Got2B Fat-tastic plumping product recommended so many times that I'm going to give it a try. At the price, it's worth it.

I have long, fine hair, too. If left alone, it goes curly, but it can be unruly. Lately, for a change, I've been blowdrying straight (partly bent over for volume) and using a curling iron for a bit of wave.

I shampoo/condition every second or third day. I must condition, or my scalp gets dry. Therefore, a very lightweight conditioner is key for me. These days, I'm using Oway organic hair products because my hair stylist uses them.

My absolute favorite product are the Oway nurturing drops. After my hair is dry, and as I'm sectioning areas to curl, I'll rub the drops on my hands as I'm touching/working with my hair. Then, after curling, I'll use the drops to smooth flyaways. It's very light and does not weigh down my hair at all. A little (like, a drop) goes a long way, and the scent is AMAZING. I keep it on my hands, and I've even used it as a facial moisturizer. I love it that much.

Funky, I really like your longer hair. It suits you well, and I find longer, natural hair on women after 50 to be youthful in a positive way. I also cannot have my hair texturized. A hairdresser did it once a long time ago, and my hair was a mess for several months.

Funkyart thanked Feathers11
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Glad these threads are helpful to others!

I never tried Oway products or Got2b fat-astic. I do like the idea of their nurturing drops as my hair is dry-- and getting dryer with each year. I will give it a try if the Virtue products I just ordered don't do the job. I didn't have great experience with Olaplex shampoo/conditioner, it weighed my hair down-- but i am not sure which product I used (it was something recommended here).

BTW-- for anyone interested in the Virtue products, everything is 20% today.

• daisychain Zn3b
    2 years ago

I think the Got2b fat-astic might work for you. It was absolutely wrong for my thick fine hair in that it plumped up my already thick hair so much I couldn't work with it at all.

Like I said, I've also grown my hair out this past year way longer than it has been since. I know you said you weren't heading to the stylist anytime soon, but I've had good luck taking my husbands hair trimmer and nipping an inch or so straight off the bottom in between trips to the salon. It just makes it feel healthy and less straggly.

Funkyart thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yeah, i am sure I'd do better with more frequent trims... but I won't trim myself. Straight hair isn't very forgiving of imperfect trims and my depth perception issues make it almost impossible.

I think one of the things that has impacted my volume is that I am not only getting highlights much less frequently-- I am getting fewer highlights when I do go. Highlights absolutely help and used to be my primary strategy for adding volume.

• Oakley
    2 years ago

I've mentioned Aquage Uplifting Foam before, & I swear by it, but I haven't tried everything. It works best on blonde color treated hair though.

I love this lady, she has a bunch of good videos. This is from 2011. I like how she says if you think you've used too much, it's the right amount. :)

Funkyart thanked Oakley
  • Oakley
    2 years ago

And don't forget hairspray after you style, it helps keep the volume for a day or two.

Funkyart thanked Oakley
  • Peppapoodle
    2 years ago

Funky, I havent read through the replies……but big velcro rollers give lots of volume.

Funkyart thanked Peppapoodle
  • Sandplum1
    2 years ago

I second the hairspray, Oakley, if it's Kenra Volume 25 Super Hold Finishing Spray. I hold my head downward and run my fingers through my hair to fluff it up then spray my hair. Lightly, I arrange my bangs and hair pick my front sides upward for volume. The spay feels sticky, kind of like the Aqua Net from back in the day, but have patience and let it dry. I usually clip the sides up onto the back hair on the top of my head (the crown?) to achieve volume there and on the sides of my face. Ten minutes later, I pick my hair gently and I can't even tell it has hair spray on it, but the volume is there. I never blow dry, straighten, or curl my hair-too damaging and it makes my hair frizz out.

Funkyart thanked Sandplum1
  • Oakley
    2 years ago

Here's a tip I read last week but have yet to try. Do this with dry hair, and I would experiment with about 3 sections, side by side. And then see how it goes.

At the back of your part, the back crown, section off about 2'' of hair, as if you were going to rat it out.

1. Hold section straight up. Use hairspray on both sides of hair. Make sure you get the roots.

2. Comb through the sprayed section.

3. Use a hot iron beginning at the root and only go up two inches high, I guess to straighten that part of the crown.

4. Take iron off and keep holding hair straight up until it cools.

I'd do a section on each side. Once it cools and lays down you can mess around with styling it.

Funkyart thanked Oakley
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, Peppa!! Velcro rollers definitely help lift my hair! I recommend them here all the time but had gotten out of the routine of using them with the pandemic. They take my dryer game to the next level. They add lift and a "swoop" that gives me movement. I just ordered larger ones last week.

Oakley and Sandplum, glad you've found something to work for you! I have yet to find a hairspray that is light enough to allow movement and doesn't weigh my hair down after an hour or so... including Kenra. Even my stylist knows "no hairspray for Funkyart!" It will drop any swoop or bend I was able to get with styling-- leaving it poker straight and motionless. I am fiercely protective of the movement in my hair.

The only hairspray kind of product that worked well for my hair was Sebastian Spritz Forte-- the stuff women/girls used in the 80s to get "big hair". I sprayed it on the styling brush when my hair was mostly dry. It made a heck of a mess of my brushes and bathroom but it worked extremely well. It was discontinued ages ago-- i bought up all i could find on ebay but after 2 yr it was a sticky, expired mess. I have yet to find anything that comes close to working in the same way-- including other Sebastian products.

• Kswl
    2 years ago

Funky, a few months (weeks?) ago you posted a pic of yourself with a shorter bob cut that i thought was perfectly suited to your age, features, hair type and lifestyle. For some reason other people like long hair. Just remember they’re looking at the hair— no matter how they deny it—-not the total package. You do you!

Funkyart thanked Kswl
  • 3katz4me
    2 years ago

I wonder if silky/shiny and volume are mutually exclusive? I know the more silky-smooth my hair is the flatter it is. My hair isn't thin though so maybe it's not the same.

Funkyart thanked 3katz4me
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

2katz-- very true. I'd just like to find a happy medium. I had it when i was younger-- but between age and discontinued products, I've lost it.

Kswl-- thank you too for thoughts. I think the picture below is the one you saw -- it is very old and my hair was dirty that day but it is one of my favorite photos. I realized last night that i am not loving it long despite what friends/family say because I don't think it's very professional. It is not likely fair, PC or feminist to say but I think my long hair is more frivolous and fun than it is professional. I think that made my decision for me. I guess I can grow it out in my retirement if i want.

Here's another more recent-- while trying on glasses. No special styling-- just a normal day.

• Kswl
    2 years ago

Shorter is a good style for you at any age. It’s weird how people have opinions on our hair, isn’t it? My older DS noticed a slight color change in my hair the moment he saw it when he visited last. i was surprised he noticed (subtle change) and cared (didnt like it) and said so! I told him that i was still in charge of my own hair and if i ever wanted feedback he could expect a survery in his email. 😠

Funkyart thanked Kswl
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I have lost weight during the pandemic (and a little before). I think that might play into others' opinions of my hair... that said, losing weight has had an odd effect on my face. My skin is droopier and my neck is fleshier so i don't think they're marking it as weight loss (i think my face actually looks fatter with the weight loss grrr). Also, only one family member has hair like mine-- and she's 23. I think she and her mom love that it looks more like hers-- they associate it with being more youthful.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

I would agree it looks more professional short. But, like, are you going on a job interview? It seems to me you are pretty well established! I might be swayed by so many loved ones giving it a thumbs up.

I bought the Got2B Fat-tastic plumping hair mousse, i think when AKtillery recommended it. I think it works well but you need to make sure you only use a little. When I use it, i miss the scent and conditioning that i get from Kerastase.

I use Oribe superfine hairspray. I give it 5 stars.

Funkyart thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Caroline Hamilton
    2 years ago

I have long, super straight, and fine hair. It's always a challenge adding body to it and it does not want to curl. Expensive, but what works for me is the Dyson Air Wrap. I also bought the longer curl attachments bc the short ones it comes with are not suited to long hair. This is the only thing I have ever used where I can really add a lot of body and loose curls / waves in my hair. Hairspray is a must otherwise it will just fall flat. I use the Pureology one because it is vegan.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Good points, Mtn.. and it helps that SO likes it long. It wouldn't make the decision for me but it carries some sway.

I don't skip the keratase when i use a mousse or other voluminizing product-- when i used the aveda tonic, i put the keratase on first, fingered it through my hair and let it sit a few minutes before adding the aveda tonic at the roots right before drying. They both do different things so i didn't think twice about it.

I wouldn't use the keratase with the virtue healing oil though-- as they both seem to do the same thing. I didn't order the healing oil this time-- as I had just ordered keratase and i was a little turned off that it smells of coconut. I LOVE the fresh grapefruit scent in the keratase.

• User
    2 years ago

I have fine hair (but a lot of it). I keep it collarbone length because it gives you the look of long hair while being easy to take care of.

It's kind of dry but also gets oily at the roots. Lately my favorite combination has been this. It helps with volume w/o being too drying.

I air dry my hair. When it's dry, I heat style just my bangs, and put on a tiny amount of this paste to tame flyaways. It's sticky, so I use just the slightest bit wherever flyaways happen, and I go a little heavier at the ends. I've been using this product for 22 years now, I've never found anything better!

Most days I cannot be bothered with hair dryers, heat protectors, hairspray or any of that stuff. I try to keep my routine as minimal as possible. this styling paste is kind of an "all in one" for me. I love that I can put some in a travel size jar and bring anywhere.

Funkyart thanked User
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

As an aside, if you like grapefruit fragrance, I love this body wash.

Funkyart thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I havent received (and thus not tried) the Virtue products Sueb recommended but I did reach out to them because I placed a full price order with them on Saturday and on Monday they offered 20% off. Had to leave a phone message but I received an email not too long after saying that they would credit me the difference. It's only $30some but-- it's $30some!

I like to support and champion companies with great Customer Service so sharing with you all here. If their products are anywhere as good as their customer service, I will be happy!

• Oakley
    2 years ago

Mdln, I have a Fructis texturing spray and another brand but have no clue how to use it. My hair is just below the shoulders. The videos I watch are for short hair or those who want goofy hair. lol

• Feathers11
    2 years ago

When I styled my hair differently in the past, I used Fructis products. I've forgotten about that brand.

This is what's so frustrating--and surely a First World problem--is that I don't want to spend time trying out new products, and so tend to stick with my current ones. But then on the occasion I try a new product, and it works, I wonder what else is out there that I'm missing.

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

Funky, I should have called too and asked about the 20% off. I did receive mine yesterday and just tried the mousse.

What I ldo not like: The dispense mechanism. Geeze, the thing was so hard to press! I think something may be wrong with it. I did exactly as directed, turned it upside down and pressed. Hard. Finally a little dime sized bit came out. I put it on my hair, shook the can and tried again. Pressed again 2-3 times and a big wad exploded out of there.

What I do like: The scent is very nice. I dried my hair as usual and it seems ok, looks very shiny which is always good. I can’t tell much difference in the volume with this and my other products right now but given the problems with the dispenser, I’ll give it another chance. I felt as if I used too much for my hair length, but its like toothpaste and there’s no putting it back.

Funky, hope you receive yours and we can compare experiences.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I received mine yesterday too! I had planned to try it this morning but had a small family emergency (which turned out to be not emergency) and ran out of time to "play" with something new before my meetings started for the day. I will give it a try on Sunday and let you know!

Love that it looks shiny-- I just did a quick check of my mousse and dispenses without issue. maybe yours is a dud? I would call CS if it continues.

Did you get other products also or just the mousse? I got the shampoo and conditioner also... opted to wait on the healing oil.

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

I just ordered the mousse. I shamefully have so many hair products right now that I need to use, and didn’t want to add to the pile any more than was necessary.

• Bunny
    2 years ago

When you guys refer to "the mousse," is it Got2B Fat-tastic? I once bought some on the recommendation of a YouTube hair maven, and hated the strong smell, so I chucked it. For those who like it, does the smell dissipate? Do you like the smell? Perhaps they've changed it.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sorry Bunny-- Outside and I are referring to the Virtue brand mousse. We both ordered on Sue's recommendation. I have not tried the Got2BFat-tastic mousse.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Bunny, i have the Got2Be and think of you every time I use it, since I agree i do not care for the scent either. I do think it works pretty well. I use a tiny bit at the roots.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

What IS the scent? Fat-tastic isn't available on a-zon at the moment but it is on my list to try. I am in no hurry. I have the virtue mousse and I don't expect any mousse to be very effective at my current length.

Teaser: much as I tried not to make this thread about MY hair lol, I have made a decision about my hairstyle. I'll share in another thread closer to when I will get it done.

• Bunny
    2 years ago

Funky, the scent is a strong, sharp perfumey smell. It’s not how I want my hair to smell. YMMV.

Funkyart thanked Bunny
  • OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

So sorry, Bunny. Yes, it is the Virtue, and I will report on my second use experience yesterday was much better than the first use. The dispenser worked perfectly and I only used about a golf ball sized amount. My hair looked pretty good when finished, but then I went out in the rain to run errands and that is never good. I still think I need to adjust the amount. This was just after I finished blow drying and doing nothing else.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

Funky, while reading my Southern Living magazine, I happened upon a product you might want to try. Living proof dry volume and texture spray. It has "height boosting molecules" (haha)!! Anyhoo, when I saw this I thought of you and I also wondered if you'd tried dry shampoo. I never have as I would probably end up with big hair but I have friends who swear by it for adding volume. Just a thought!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Tina.. thanks for thinking of me. I have tried multiple dry shampoos and a couple of dry multi-step dry shampoo/stylers (most recently a Nyx product). They all weigh my hair down and don't add volume. They may work better when I have more highlights which will add volume and thickness-- but it's been a long time since I've had color on top.

I do have a plan for my next salon visit that should help all around. :)

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

Well darn!! ill give uo then. lol !!

• Oakley
    2 years ago

Funky, stop putting conditioner on top of your head. Just do the ends if necessary. Once I completely stopped using conditioner my hair had more volume at the top.

To help detangle your hair when it's wet, especially if it's been highlighted use a Wet Brush.

Wet Brush

I've been using this for three years and I love it.

I looked up Virtue to see what it does and it seems to do the same thing as Bedhead After Party. First time I used it looked like my hair drowned in conditioner. It goes on dry hair. Just a teeny dot is all you need to put on the top layer of hair. Smoothes and shines. I rarely use it though.

Got2b works better for me when my hair hasn't been highlighted, but I do use more than Mtn recommends because I put it all through my hair, which adds more volume.

Do you blow dry your hair upside down? The reason Got2b and Aquage works is you put it on damp hair and then blow dry. Upside down. lol

After my hair is dry I only use hair spray at bang area, although I don't have bangs. I do a lift at the front of each side of the hair and that's where I put hairspray.

Now I'm going to be honest and I'm sure you know this. Trimming your hair will add a lot more volume. My hair is just below my shoulders & I trim it myself. It's really easy and remember, I have that bad depth perception also.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Outside, i am sorry-- i missed your update yesterday. Your hair looks great-- that's the Virtue mouse, right? And lol sorry for the rain-- yes, even a sprinkle is the worst on our hair! Your photo gives me hope that it will work well for me once it is shorter! Thank you!

Tina, sorry i DO appreciate your suggestions. I read an article the other day about fine hair-- and about how they are not all created equal. This is so true-- fine and straight is different than fine and curly/wavy and of course thickness makes a difference. Plus, at my length, i think i just need to acknowledge that nothing will give it much volume.

Oakley, I appreciate your suggestions but i believe I've responded to many of them already. I have very dry hair so i do need to condition-- not at the crown but on the sides/top area and on the ends. I don't use a moisturizing shampoo/conditioner-- they're too heavy. I do dry upside down-- but just for a few seconds. My hair dries very quickly, and I need it damp in order to style a curve at the bottom and around my face. Stick straight hair is really hard to get a curve or volume in once it is dry.

I appreciate your encouragement but really, I can't trim my hair-- i can't trim my eyebrows either. I can't easily get the hair in the scissors and if i do, i can't be sure i am cutting it in the right place. I am so glad that your vision issues aren't so bad that they prevent you from cutting your hair, polishing nails, etc-- i very much hope yours never gets that bad! In addition to no depth perception, i have double vision and poor vision clarity. I have opted not to get a third surgery (at least not now) but i cannot pass an eye test and i will never drive again. I hate to get all "woe is me" but I want you to understand that it isn't just my reluctance to do everyday things.. it's a disability. Ive had to develop adaptive tricks for things as simple as pouring coffee and walking in a straight line.

Now, that said, i could go to the salon-- i will try to go sooner than planned but i have surgery coming up in less than a week and a very busy april/may. Since I don't drive, i can't just run to the salon-- it becomes a whole afternoon thing. I will try though-- and it helps that I've made a decision on the length. I had been putting it off until i decided how much length to keep.

Sorry for the long message. I just wanted to be sure to respond to all who had taken the time to take photos and make many recommendations.

• Bunny
    2 years ago

Funky, I can't wait to see what you've decided for your hair. It's good to have decided. And it always grows back. Every two years or so I let my hair grow and then decide it's not right and then agonize on cutting it short. Every time I cut it short I have zero regrets. Just saying.

As for hairspray, I do like Kenra. I started with #25 and if you need real hold, that's it. It was just too stiff for me, so I dropped down to #13, but it had no hold at all. I went up to #18 and I think it's just right for me, hold but not stiff.

Funkyart thanked Bunny
  • Tina Marie
    2 years ago

Oh I know you appreciate all our suggestions! I just wish I had the magic trick to help! LOL You are definitely not "woe is me". I am amazed at all you continue to do with your vision problems. Your attitude has been wonderful through all this!

I'm another who lets my hair mostly air dry then I use the dryer to "fluff" my hair and to pull my bangs out a bit (I have long side swept bangs and I do not like them too curly/wavy). I cancelled a hair appointment today because I am not sure what I want to do LOL! I've been letting my layers grow out a bit, although I do not really want to let the length grow. I'm smart enough to realize that short to medium hair just looks better on me now. I feel like any longer and it "pulls my face down" (if that makes sense!) and makes me look older. But I like being able to wear my hair more wavy (especially with humid weather coming) and so I'm thinking I'll let the length grow just a tad and grow some of the layers out. I'm sure my hair gal just loves me! HA!

Funkyart thanked Tina Marie
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, Bunny.. i will share my plans for my hair soon. While I think, "who cares about your hair, Funky!" LOL.. so many of you have weighed in and shared suggestions, i at least want to follow up with those who DO care. Also, I have a vague memory that i didn't care for the smell of the Kenra. I may be wrong as I've tried many products-- but it's the spray my salon uses and I always laugh when my stylist goes to add hairspray at the end and then remembers that I don't like it. I really dislike musky scents so maybe it is a little musky?

Tina, thank you so much for your kind words. I feel like I am so repetitive always talking about my vision issues and that i don't drive. I don't like to sound like i am complaining or focused on the bum things I have inherited or developed. Hair being one lol.. vision.. etc. This is my life.. my one life.. and I don't want to look at it like I am a victim or I am disabled ... but the fact is that I am disabled. I have to face it more and more as time goes on. I am looking at some vacations coming forward and it's affecting where i travel and what i do.. and it has me rethinking my work and my home in the years to come. I am just blessed to have great support from family, friends and my employer. And i am privileged to be able to afford things like uber, grocery delivery, nail services, dry cleaning pickup, yard service, etc.

And now this thread has become 100% about me lol. Just to take it back to others...

Tina, I suspect long layers and slightly longer length will work well for you. My youngest sister has very curly hair and she loves long layers. She also doesn't like her bangs curly so she uses a straight iron on them (and sometimes all of her hair). I think the long layers give you so many options!

Outside, one of the tips i read in the article about how to manage straight, fine hair was a recommendation to change your part up. It is something i knew intuitively but i get lazy about doing. I always like the effect of intermittently switching to a far left part vs a slightly off center part. It really makes a difference... it breaks some kind of hair "memory".

OK.. thanks for indulging me.

• Bunny
    2 years ago

Funky, to me each of the Kenra sprays (I've tried 3) has a different smell. None are great, but the smell tends to dissipate quickly.

Funkyart thanked Bunny