SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Long hair vs short hair

Funkyart
2 years ago

I have an appt at the hair salon tomorrow-- the first in a year. I did have an emergency trim/touch up before my father's funeral last July (immediate family only) but have not tended to my hair otherwise since January (I had a hair appt the week the stay-at-home orders in March).

My hair is LONG. I normally wear it just past chin length so this is quite a change. My family keeps commenting on how much they like my hair long-- their suggestion is to just trim up the ratty ends and keep the length (no layers!).

I am on the fence-- my hair is very fine. Highlights will help add volume-- especially at the crown-- but only minimally. I am also starting to go gray-- i have scattered shimmery silver hairs. No offense to anyone else who wears long hair-- but *I* feel silly considering long, gray hair at 57. It doesn't feel like a look for a chubby/fat almost 60 yo.

That said, it is much easier to care for-- though I am still learning how to sleep with long hair and I tend to agree with my sister that it is healthier (less heat/dryer damage maybe?). I am leaning towards following her recommendation to keep it long since I will never have the opportunity to grow it out again.. but it is still making me feel slightly uncomfortable.

Did you change your style as the result of covid? Did you keep the length?

Comments (73)

• Feathers11
    2 years ago

Funky, you are beautiful! So is everyone else's pics. Our hair is so personal...and I love seeing everyone's styles and experiences.

My hair is very fine, but when left to dry naturally, will go curly. I've worn it longer most of my life. I had it cut short into a bob about 10 years ago, and immediately started growing it long again--it did not suit me. Long hair is so much easier. My Day 2 (and often Day 3) hair is always better than my Day 1 hair, and I only have to style my hair a few times a week, rather than daily. When it was short that brief period of time, I spent too much time on it.

I blew dry (is that the correct past tense?) it straight yesterday. I rolled out of bed this morning and haven't touched it today. It looks great. Too easy.

I'd take a pic but I'm working from home with no makeup or bra on. My hair is the only thing presentable about me now.

Funkyart thanked Feathers11
  • Sueb20
    2 years ago

Funky, maybe we are sisters separated at birth. Swedish (I am 1/2), fine hair, pear shaped... Hmm. Oh and we like the same snacks. Definitely twins.

I change my mind about my hair almost every day. This morning it started out looking good, I thought. Then I went to a meeting, came home, then had a facetime chat and while looking at myself on the screen thought, ick, I thought my hair looked better than this? I think all this Zoom nonsense has made us all extra self-conscious. Remember the days when you didn't have to look at your own darn face during a meeting??

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • Related Discussions

VERY short hair cut

Q

Comments (9)
    My sister, who is 63 years young, has been wearing her hair spiked (and stopped coloring it) for several years now and it looks great! She was always the conservative one growing up, so the first time I saw her with her hair spiked, it totally surprised me. She really looks good with this hair style, very feminine, and gets lots of compliments. Go for it, as socks said, it will grow back. Once you get your hair cut, go home and experiment with your clothing and jewelry.
    ...See More

Do older women look better with short hair?

Q

Comments (150)
    Trailrunner, Jterrilynn, & Nance...thanks for the kind words! Golddust, I love your haircut. It enhances your pretty, delicate, heart-shaped face & high cheekbones. Adorable! Dlm, wow! You have great hair & look marvelous with it straight or curly! Nice to have options. I assume that's your DH & son? They are certainly handsome too! Beautiful family. LvrGolden, Mona, & Rose...all beautiful ladies over 50 with great hair! Oakley, I am dying to know what you think of your virtual hairstyling! I think Kelly found just the right do for you, and you know what? You really, really do look like Meg Ryan! You two have very similar features except that you are not scarecrow thin like she is (fortunately...'cause that's scary!) You would look great with layers around your face if you want to take baby steps toward shorter hair. I'd be delighted to get free advice too, if anyone has any suggestions. All feedback is good feedback. It can be hard to know what hairstyle options to pursue as we find ourselves no longer 25!
    ...See More

Oye, my hair's too short!

Q

Comments (47)
    Thanks everyone! I still like it. :) Eileen - A good multivitamin and B I always thought were very good for hair. I take both. I attached a link with more info. on more specific vitamins and minerals. I will say, like anything else, I don't believe all vitamins are created equal. Sounds like not all of your hair was lost? That's good it's growing back but more importantly it's great you're doing much better. :) *I have no idea what vitamins they have on that site or how they are. I just did a search for vitamins for hair. Here is a link that might be useful: vitamins for hair
    ...See More

Suggestions 4 making shorts smaller w/out tearing my hair out

Q

Comments (4)
    Is the elastic covered by the waistband or sewn to the outside of it? If it's inside the waistband and you don't mind spending the time, you could take all the stitching out of the waistband(you may have to remove it from the shorts). Adjust the width of the waistband to match the new width of your shorts, sew it back on the shorts(if you removed it), fold it over and make a casing that you can pull your elastic through and adjust as needed. If the elastic is sewn to the outside of the waistband, you might get away with taking it in along with the side seams of the shorts. Just reinforce your stitching(stitch over it a couple of times) so it won't come apart and trim fairly close so it won't feel bulky. Good luck. I hope I'm not confusing you.
    ...See More
  • Joaniepoanie
    2 years ago

Baby fine, flat, straight hair here. It hasn’t been this long since I was a kid. I‘ve been wearing it chin length for years and it is now past my collar bones. I went to the salon in April and at that time decided to keep the length and got highlights. Highlights don’t do much anymore for body. Saw a picture taken at an event we had last month and hair looked awful, even though it had product, and I had used a curling iron on it. The humidity didn’t help either. I’m overdue for at least a trim but with Delta now, I’m not planning a salon trip for the time being. I just clip the top so it stays out of my face when at home and try different products, tools when I go out hoping to someday find a combo that works.

Funkyart thanked Joaniepoanie
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ha-- Feathers, the very same reason I am not offering a current/today photo! I had a lot of meetings and work for a Friday. I think I earned the right to face the day in glorified pajamas!

I hadn't really thought about it since I haven't been going to work, or anywhere, much-- but it IS much less fussing than when my hair was shorter.

Sue, being half blind helps with the mirror thing-- and I make very few of my meetings video sessions.

Oh Joanie... I am sure your hair looked better than you thought. We are our own worst critics-- but do let me know if you find the right combo. My niece has offered me one of her curling wands (the ones without clips) and a flat iron if i want to try it... but here, at home, it's generally a bandana or a clip. Surely not fashionable but very functional.

• User
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I prefer a long-ish A line. shoulder length in the back, a little longer than collarbone length in front, with lots of "chunky" texture. it's short enough to look full and flattering, but I can put it up when I want to. when it grows out a few inches, I trim off the longer front parts and it still looks good for a while. I can go 6 months or longer between haircuts! I never use a hairdryer, but I do use a flatiron to make my (long) bangs curl away from my face.

hair type: I have fine hair but a lot of it. natural soft beach waves, but also kind of frizzy.

Funkyart thanked User
  • HU-144972567
    2 years ago

My hair is not 'Cher length' but is past my waist. It's always been very fine and straight, but over the last 10 years my very thick hair has thinned. Considerably. Years ago I weighed much more and had a very short cut - I felt like I had a pin head. I've been losing weight and am still 'chubby' but feel that my long hair is in balance with my body. I don't subscribe to the notion that there is a certain age when long hair somehow becomes inappropriate. Which is a good thing as I have 10 years on you...

Funkyart thanked HU-144972567
  • amykath
    2 years ago

Wow! So nice to wake up to such lovely photos! Everyone looks great.

Funky, I have been debating cutting my hair shorter as well. It is not super long by any means but past my shoulders. For whatever reason, it takes hours and hours to dry. Maybe bc I use product. It is fine and getting thinner as I age.

I was considering cutting it to shoulder or slightly above shoulder length. I find layers help me a great deal with giving the look of volume. I also like to use a semi medium brown hair dye for my hair color (on the under side) and highlights on the top. I am way behind on both. I just haven't had the time or motivation.

I think your hair looks great. I would do whatever it is that will make you feel more comfortable (physically and mentally). Whatever you do with it will look great as it already does now.

I think it is a good idea to ask the stylist who is going to cut your hair. They certainly know all types of hair and what works and what doesn't to give you the look you want.

Keep us posted!

Funkyart thanked amykath
  • User
    2 years ago

Funky, I'm coming back to say I'd about kill for your hair and you are adorable. ☺

Funkyart thanked User
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

You all are so kind..

I will definitely keep the length for now. I have more options now than I have ever had so I will take advantage of that!

• artemis_ma
    2 years ago

I am enjoying my COVID long hair... I can actually tie it back if I need to, with outdoor duties, or if it gets really hot outdoors.

However, when it gets time to cut it again - I hope to go experimental and FUN! (I am retired, so no need to impress anyone...)

Funkyart thanked artemis_ma
  • User
    2 years ago

Funky, I'm coming back to say I'd about kill for your hair and you are adorable.

agreed! Funky, I wish I had your eyebrows!

Funkyart thanked User
  • just_terrilynn
    2 years ago

My hair is several inches past my shoulders now and I find it so much easier. I just had my asymmetrical bangs done along with a choppy trim and like it. The good thing is that I can pull it back or up in this miserable Florida summer heat and it only takes 30 seconds.

You have a nice proportioned face with lovely features so you have a lot of options. ETA: darn darn, somehow I chopped off the top.

Funkyart thanked just_terrilynn
  • always1stepbehind
    2 years ago

Agree...keep the length...you can always take it back up to where you had it before...BELIEVE ME!! I recently did the big chop and regret it. I have messy bun envy everywhere I turn!!

Funkyart thanked always1stepbehind
  • Anne
    2 years ago

I am having the same dilema!

I also use the Revlon drying brush and like it, although I usually follow up with a tiny bit of hair oil and a flat iron on day one to smooth it.

My hair is a bit frizzy but thin with a natural wave that is unpredictable.

I bought a CHI spin curler from Amazon and my hair holds the curl from it much longer than an iron or hot rollers.

It takes time but I wash, dry and iron on day one, day two I use spin curler , day three I do a bun or updo, day four I start over again.

If I do something super sweaty then I might need to wash sooner but my hair is so much healthier.

I dont use much product, the hair oil, Batiste dry shampoo on day three sometimes. I also use Kindred Spirits hair and body spray. Comes in multiple scents. Makes my hair smell fresh. I got it in a gift basket and liked itand then was buying from Amazon until a friend told me some Old Navy stores sell it (and for much less)

Funkyart thanked Anne
  • nutsaboutplants
    2 years ago

Look at you comely ladies! Funky, I think you will look great with hair length similar to your niece’s. Be careful what you wish for when you call your very pretty face a ”fat face” because many women’s faces at that age start to sink, sag and droop, as if a vacuum is sucking the air from inside. I love the fullness of your face,

Funkyart thanked nutsaboutplants
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for the compliments-- I feel a touch uncomfortable but I appreciate them all!

I have meant to come back and share that my stylist took about an inch off-- and kept the shape which is a little longer in front than the back. I am still on the fence about it. We'll see how it grows out now that the nasty split ends are gone.

We also kept the ombre-- but it is a bit more subtle. She added some highlights to transition the blonde to the crown and to help give me body. I let her decide what to do with the color because I was concerned about transitioning the gray. She laughed at me and said I have a couple of silver strands-- nothing that she needs to work around. I am not unhappy with the color but it could be ashier.

JT.. I love that you dolled me up with photoshop lol! It took me a second to realize it was me! Cute as the peppy blonde ponytails are-- I don't have the hair or the personality to carry them off. Even with a detachable fall!

I'll take a photo one of these days when I cleanup to face the world... I have been in wfh mode this week.

• User
    2 years ago

Funky, I just got up and in my blurry eyes read that you've been in WTF mode this week.

😁

Turns out either one makes sense.

Looking forward to an updated photo. You are truly adorable. I'm 54 and again, I'd about kill for your hair and face. My face is losing fullness as nutsaboutplants talked about and I feel like skeletor. Starting to understand the attraction of fillers....

Funkyart thanked User
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

HA! Trust me-- it is also a wtf week!

My face has been saggier lately-- I suspect it is because a. I havent been drinking my water and b. I recently lost 8 lb. Actually, I relost -- I'd lost them last year then gained them back this spring, and have now lost again! I am hoping that my face tightens up again but at my age it takes longer-- and at some point (hopefully not now), I know it will stop bouncing back!

• yeonassky
    2 years ago

I have unfashionably long hair. And I don't trim it often enough. I obviously am in the do what you like to do category as I love my long hair. It has some gray streaks and if I don't condition tends to get quite tangled.

I am too rapidly approaching my mid-60s and there is no bounce back for my skin. I would love to get one of those collagen stimulators that I saw on a show. It seemed to instantly get rid of the wattle on the woman's neck. It is definitely the spot that shows my age the most. At least I think so.

Funkyart thanked yeonassky
  • Sueb20
    2 years ago

I have lost about 13 lbs since March and I too have noticed oops, my face now looks older. WTF indeed. You can't win!

• User
    2 years ago

Thanks for saying that Sue, because I think that is my problem too. I lost about 20 pounds and my face is definitely thinner and I don't like the look at all. I swear my face looks like a thin layer of skin over a skull...

Sign me up for WTF too. :)

• smhinnb
    2 years ago

I'm a bit late to this conversation, but wanted to ask if you'd ever considered using hot rollers? I could have written Anne's sentence above - "my hair is a bit frizzy but thin with a natural wave that is unpredictable", although mine is more than a bit frizzy when it's humid. I use my rollers most days, whether I wash my hair or not, and with practice it's a lot quicker than you might think. I put them in, do my make up, and take them out. Always 2 big ones on top of my head for lift and volume, and sometimes a few more. Somehow they smooth the curl. Here are two photos I just grabbed off my phone, both taken in 2020.

Funkyart thanked smhinnb
  • mojomom
    2 years ago

I have the same hair as you, smh, and use hot rollers frequently and find them easier and quicker to use than a curling iron. I only leave them in for 2-3 minutes. First pic today with no rollers, second pic from last winter after using rollers.

Funkyart thanked mojomom
  • Bunny
    2 years ago

Wow for the hot rollers! I bought some velcro rollers recently and they only work if your hair is damp, then dries (takes too long), or you heat your hair first or during. I get some decent results with a little curling iron, but it's always a crapshoot.

Hot roller recommendations?

• teeda
    2 years ago

I've also been using hot rollers for years. I have shoulder length, wavy hair that can get poofy and frizzy. I use the largest size rollers and leave them in for about 5 minutes. Smooths my hair but doesn't create curls. This lasts for 2 full days before I wash it again. I've had my same curlers forever, and want to get a new set but haven't found any with great reviews. I would love to hear any recommendations!

• smhinnb
    2 years ago

Yes Teeda - I agree exactly, smooths, but not too curly. If I want more pronounced curl, I leave them in longer. I have some layers cut in my hair and I think that helps also.

I'm on my second set of these, over I don't even remember how many years. I would guess the set I have now is easily 5 years old. It's inexpensive, and I like that it's a small set - 5 rollers is all I'd ever need - & therefore easy to travel with if you want to. I see it only comes with the jumbo rollers now.... my last set came with 5 small rollers too but I just threw them in the garbage.

CONAIR CNRTS7NR, Jumbo Roller Travel Hairsetter : Amazon.ca: Beauty & Personal Care

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

You guys look great-- love the styles.

Hot rollers aren't an option for me-- my hair slips out because of the weight. My hair is so much more fine. Velcro rollers at the crown do give me a slight lift.

• smhinnb
    2 years ago

Funky, I'll just add one more comment about the hot rollers..... of course you know your hair best, and I know what you mean about slipping. The rollers I'm using now have a velour coating on them, so my hair doesn't slip nearly as much as it does with, say, a curling iron or plastic rollers. Way back I used to have an old set that were a hard plastic and they were impossible. Also, I position the most two important rollers right on top of my head, so my hair is not holding the weight of the roller. I use the large clips, so once my hair is wrapped on the roller, I put a big clip over the whole thing so it's impossible for my hair to slip out.

Funkyart thanked smhinnb
  • User
    2 years ago

I'm really intrigued by the hot rollers idea....

For those of you who use them, can you tell me how they compare to flat ironing? My hair is a wild frizzy mess. It's very fine, but I also have a lot of it, and it goes out of control at the slightest moisture. I used to have it chemically-straightened, but gave that up bc of Covid.

Now I just use a lot of heat protectant and argan oil on it, and flat iron the bejeepers out of it. And it looks like relatively presentable hair....unless I leave the house. Ha. And then if it's above about 40% humidity outside - POOF! It expands like you pulled the trigger on foam in a can...

I'm wondering if the hot rollers would work better. I don't care about waviness or curls one way or the other, I'm just trying to tame the frizzy rat's nest look.

For $30, I may add it to my next Amazon order and try it.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Isnt hair crazy?? In humidity, my hair goes flat to my head-- the moisture is too heavy for it.

Sorry, I wrote a long response and accidentally wiped it out-- I have run out of time but I will say that mojomom's curls are beautiful, my hair just won't hold a curl. I aspire more to the look in Smhinnb's second photo which fits my style and personality-- and I think it's possible I can achieve something close to the volume and "motion" in Smhinnb's photo with a combination of a little more length + hot rollers/velcro rollers + some additional highlights (for more body).

The Sebastian Spritz Forte spray i used to use on my round brush would absolutely have allowed me to achieve the look-- but it's been discontinued for 10 yr now. I have yet to find a product that does the same thing without plastering my hair to my head-- but I did receive a tip about an SSGX NYC product that is a hair texturizer-dry shampoo-hair spray combo. A youtuber I watch says it makes no sense but it has given her just the body and lift she needed. We'll see.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences, products and your lovely faces!!

PatriceNY, wish i could help you-- but hope you find some good suggestions! This community is awesome!

• Sueb20
    2 years ago

My hair stylist recommended this “volumizer” for me. I bought it and tried it, but my hair is still too short for it. Maybe it would work for you, funky? I have high hopes for this in a couple months when my hair is a bit longer. BTW she said ”the Revlon one is the best, don’t get another brand!”

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Morning, Sue-- I bought one of those last year when everyone was raving about them. In fact, that's what I used the day I took the photo above. It didn't add more volume than I could get with using my two round brushes (diff sizes) with a combo of hot air followed by cool air. I was pretty disappointed with it. Maybe I wasn't using it correctly? I will give it a try again this weekend when I have a little time to play with it.

I also ordered the SSGX NYC product to give a try.

• teeda
    2 years ago

smhinnb--those rollers look perfect, but when I tried to order them on Amazon they're now "unavailable" with no known restock date. Darn! Patriceny, my hair sounds a lot like yours. Lots of fine hair that mushrooms out in humidity. I like the hot rollers because I feel they're less damaging to my hair. I don't use any product. If it is super humid my hair may frizz a bit more after using the rollers, but in general they work well for me.

ETA: I just ordered a set from Walmart. I paid a little more--$40, but since even the Connair website indicated out of stock I thought I better grab a set quick. Thanks again for the tip!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

It didn't add more volume than I could get with using my two round brushes (diff sizes) with a combo of hot air followed by cool air.

I have the Revlon one, and I love it. What you say may be true, but isn't what you describe cumbersome/difficult? I confess I could never figure out how to use a round brush while blowdrying my hair.I get tired just thinking about it.

In re weight loss and aging. Isn't there a famous line about choosing whether you want your azz to look good or your face? At my lowest recent weight, I think my face looks gaunt. That was not true at that weight when I was younger. It's one more reason that my goal weight is more generous than it used to be. I

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

I went a bit shorter yesterday! I also had a gloss applied. I have a head full of hair and it's very thick. As does the Mr.! It's a joke among others if we happen to go together for a cut (we go to the same stylist) because there will be enough hair on the floor to make a wig! BUT, since going gray, my hair is soooo soft and I have all this new hair growth. Lots of fly-away hairs, especially around my hairline, where the part is. The gloss has a bit of developer in it, so hoping to "rough" my hair up a bit. My hair is heavy and I like a bit of volume in the crown area. My gal texturizes this area and also one side will lay flatter than the other so texturizing there helps too. I let my hair mostly dry on it's own, but use a large round brush to pull up the crown a bit and also to make my bangs straighter. I have long side-swept bangs but my hair has wave to it. I like my bangs straighter.

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    2 years ago

DH, DS, & I had our hair cut on the deck a few days ago. DH took this picture. Most of that gray belonged to DH but a good portion is mine too. DS (17) also has one or two grays already!! DH started going gray in his mid 20s but still has a full head of hair.

• Sueb20
    2 years ago

Haha Rory.

Here’s what I like about ”longer” hair (mine is still short but way longer than it was) — I was able to wake up without freakish bedhead. This is my hair this morning after a very quick ”zshusch”. Um, spelling?

• 1929Spanish-GW
    2 years ago

WooHoo! I finally got my hair done yesterday and finally understand why women spend a lot on cut and color! Took 5” off and got my color back in shape.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    2 years ago

So pretty, spanish! Im jealous.😤 😁j

• smhinnb
    2 years ago

I'm resurrecting this older thread because I somehow ended up watching a video posted by a 'hair influencer' (??) on Facebook last night, and she was using a tool I'd never heard tell of.... Her results were pretty incrdible, and I've been reading more about it today. Have any of you ever used or heard tell of the "Valoom Hair Volumizing Iron"??

https://beautyandthecat.com/2017/03/08/worth-it-voloom-hair-volumizing-iron-review-comparison-to-crimper-and-voloom-petite/

• 1929Spanish-GW
    2 years ago

That reminds me of a friend who used to get a perm on squate rollers in the 80’s! I’ve been having good luck woth Aveda Volumizing Tonic.

https://m.aveda.com/product/17769/16789/styling/tonic/volumizing-tonic#/shade/3.4_fl_oz%2F100_ml

• smhinnb
    2 years ago

The girl on the video would flip a section of hair up, and use the Valoom on the section immediately below it, only very close to the root. Then the top section was laid back down over the Valoomed section, so you didn't see any evidence of the crimping look. It seemed to work incredibly well. She was using the Aveda Pure Abundance Hair Potion (powder) for texture. I'm a fan of Aveda products in general, although they discontinued my absolute favorite (Light Elements smoothing fluid). I bought 4 bottles on Ebay.

• OllieJane
    2 years ago

I have the vloom hair volumizing iron for 3-4 years now, and I really like it! The trick to my hair, is to make sure my hair is dry and it will stay and give me lots of volume. I also use Kenra hair spray before crimping that section. I've learned to use it very easily now. I don't use it every single time, but anytime we go out, I normally do. I make a circle around the top section of my head with the end of my comb and put a ponytail on the very top of my head and use it on 2-3 rows underneath and then undo the ponytail and it covers it.

I use Oribe hair products-especially the Oribe Thickening Spray.

• User
    2 years ago

Funky, your second picture is my hairstyle for the past 40 years. About ten years ago i went wild and went for bangs—-and i am STILL second guessing that crazy move! I have straight hair but it still gets frizzy in humidity, so I had my first ever keratin treatment recently. It has made my hair flat on every day except the day i wash it, an unintended result. Havent yet decided if that outweighs the benefit of no frizz. We have a convertible and use it almost exclusively, so smoother hair to start is helpful. Ihear everyone about longer hair and ponytails, but on the rare occasions when my hair was long enough to be scraped into a ponytail I havent liked the look on me. ☹️

• eld6161
    2 years ago

Kswl, did a Kevin Murphy keratin. No formaldehyde etc. I too have less fullness, but....

I am able to my hair and walk out into a humid day. It also takes less time to dry and style.

The con is that is that I can't air dry, which is disappointing. My oldest had the regular keratin line you can she can air dry and gets full waves.

Getting back to the topic, personally I think shoulder length for women in their 50’s and above is the most flattering.

I envy women who can rock a short haircut.

• User
    2 years ago

Eld, mine also had no formaldehyde. i haven’t air dried my hair in decades so it might be an interesting experiment to see what happens if I tried it. Your hairstyle is very cute and suits the shape of your face. Mine is typically two inches shorter but looks a bit shorter than that because it turns under and It is always behind my ears.

• daisychain Zn3b
    2 years ago

I also have frizzy hair. I'd like to try keratin, but I don't think I understand how it works. I'll have to research. When I was in my 20s, I used to comb Toni home perm solution through my hair in the shower. It would come out straight without the frizziness and it also bleached my mousy brown hair so it appeared sunkissed. I only did it once every couple of years because it was so hard on my hair, but man did it look good when I did.

Well, you all convinced me and I just cut a couple of inches off the bottom to get back to shoulder length. I'd been growing it out over the summer, I did love being able to pull it back into a loose messy bun, but this is overall a better look for me. I can still get it into a pony tail, so still have some options.

On the subject of going short, for me, I try to remember to go slow. I often think I want really short, but sometimes just a couple of inches is enough of a change. If it's not, then I go shorter. I once went from really long to a pixie cut. Big mistake.

• eld6161
    2 years ago

Daisy, sometimes when you do keratin, you to reevaluate your hair style.

What you do might not work after doing a treatment. The one's with the chemical act like a straightener more so what I used. Also, those grow out while mine will out.

My seems to that sometimes you need two times to really see the difference. I am on the fence wit's this logic.

My other reasoning is that when I'm in Florida, I pony my hair everyday. But, when it got hot here a few I realized that a very day, wearing my hair up more comfortable anyway.

So, I am not sure I am not sure Inwill do it again. At my salon the keratin alone is $450.

Oldest just posted this photo she found at her aunts house from many ago. I am in the middle.

I forgot about this relatively short hair cut.

• jill302
    2 years ago

I am another one with fine, wavy, frizzy hair that I battle into submission, while praying for low humidity. My hair is already probably 70% gray, I am 61. My gray hair is frizzier than my brown hair ever was. Coloring it does help tremendously with the texture. I have used Keratin in the past, I love the lack of frizziness but it does make my hair flatter. Also, my hair grows fairly fast so in only a few weeks I have an inch or two of hair at the top that is frizzier than the rest. At this point in life, I would be open to Ketatin before a long trip but otherwise I will probably just go on doing my best without Ketatin, hoping for a magical new product that would let me air dry my hair once in a while.

Love reading about everyone else’s hair challenges and what works for each if you.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES