SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Oye, my hair's too short!

User
14 years ago

Usually twice a year I'll get an actual haircut. The cut is typically a little below my shoulders with layers to a longer version of that. When it hits the middle of my back I repeat. Side swoop bangs. I've never had what people would consider short hair as I think I look better with long.

I'm very picky about my hair. Big surprise there. I've been to this lady one other time and will continue to go back to her. For once, the cut wasn't the fault of the stylist but my own!

I was just in one of those moods tonight. The only thing I can compare it to is when I decide to clean out a bunch of stuff/clothes and really go to town. Yeah, one of those moods. Once hair gets so long, even with layers it just looks out of wack and has no shape and that's where I was.

I do think it's a tad bit shorter than what we went over in the mirror but that small amount wouldn't of made a difference in my shock now. Ha. Almost all of it is above my shoulders. There's tons of layering and it looks good with the bangs but geeeeez, I'm missing the back! lol It's falling out of the bunny tail I have it in.

I made a point to stop at my sister's house before heading home. I can always count on her and my Mom to be honest. She was shocked at the drastic change but likes it. DH likes it so that's good!

Luckily my hair grows very fast and I'm thankful I have hair. It's not the end of the world and after a day or two I'll get used to it but I sure don't care for it tonight.

Anyone care to share any poor hair decisions?

Comments (47)

• kgwlisa
    14 years ago

My first reaction to the subject was "It'll grow back."

Also, at least it's not summer. That in between "can't get it into a hair band" length is the WORST when it's hot out. At least you don't have that problem. By summer it will be plenty long enough to put up.

Also, you will use less hair product and it will take less time to wash.

My hair always seems to look the same no matter how it is cut so no poor hair decisions except for maybe the big bangs and the body wave in the 80's. My sister once had her really long hair cut short by someone who didn't speak english and ended up with a Carol Brady cut that had to be cut REALLY short to be anything remotely stylish and not ridiculous looking though. *snicker*

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

KGWLISA is right~it *will* grow back. From what you describe, it's been cut in what is now a new style~short in back, longer on the sides. I had mine cut in a similar style several months ago, and liked it, but now the cut has grown out. I do have to say I prefer layers to all one length. ;o)

• Related Discussions

I got my hair cut. It's short. I think I like it... I think.

Q

Comments (6)
    I like your haircut -- and hair color, too. If the cut is easy to take care of, that's the most important thing for me. Which is why I've worn my hair very short and "spiky" for the last two years. It really doesn't matter much if it's combed or not; one can't tell the difference, anyway! I just wet my fingers and run them thru my hair and I'm good to go!
    ...See More

I Like My Men Short, Stubby, and with hair like Medusa ;)

Q

Comments (22)
    R: whats it called then ? my first reply? anyways heres what i wrote earlier in the thread * Posted by jonaskragebaer 8 denmark (My Page) on Tue, Dec 7, 10 at 11:30 great looking plant you got there :), have you noticed that the right side of the stem looks like a monkey's head :D? also, i know this isn't the same plant and prob. not even in the same family but, last year i stuck a few "hairs" from a Euphorbia medusa in a pot and they rooted, but all they have done so far is grow longer in the end. does any1 have any experience growing this plant, or know if it will ever grow into a normal medusa ? but your right i should prob. just start a new thread :) that would be easier and less confusing :)
    ...See More

Do older women look better with short hair?

Q

Comments (150)
    Trailrunner, Jterrilynn, & Nance...thanks for the kind words! Golddust, I love your haircut. It enhances your pretty, delicate, heart-shaped face & high cheekbones. Adorable! Dlm, wow! You have great hair & look marvelous with it straight or curly! Nice to have options. I assume that's your DH & son? They are certainly handsome too! Beautiful family. LvrGolden, Mona, & Rose...all beautiful ladies over 50 with great hair! Oakley, I am dying to know what you think of your virtual hairstyling! I think Kelly found just the right do for you, and you know what? You really, really do look like Meg Ryan! You two have very similar features except that you are not scarecrow thin like she is (fortunately...'cause that's scary!) You would look great with layers around your face if you want to take baby steps toward shorter hair. I'd be delighted to get free advice too, if anyone has any suggestions. All feedback is good feedback. It can be hard to know what hairstyle options to pursue as we find ourselves no longer 25!
    ...See More

Your opinion: long or short hair on both sexes

Q

Comments (18)
    Long (bottle) blond hair on women seems to be socially required around here. I see many women who've missed the 'cut off' date for that look (blond or not). When Mom poses with her HS or college-age daughter, and they have the same hair-extension look...really time to let it go, Mom. I dislike the five o'clock shadow sported by some men. It's prevalent in advertising -- along with gender-confusion. I used to see that on high school boys eager to display their new 'maleness'. Our DS laughs as DH and I roll our eyes at his various styles of beards. He looks best to me with a haircut and freshly shaven. He and his BIL used to compete for bizarre hair cuts, and lengths, and *colors*. I like to see people who are well-groomed in styles appropriate to their ages. They're self confident. They don't need to display anything to be noticed. They are past adolescent rebellion.
    ...See More
  • xantippe
    14 years ago

I'll share my horror story. In college, I lived in London for a semester and thought it would be fun to go to the Vidal Sassoon school to get my hair cut. My friend had gone and had gotten the most amazing hair cut. My roommate--ditto. So I go, and I get this Cuban student who spoke no English except for the words "Oh my God. Oh no. Oh no." I spent three hours with my hair in my face, listening to her say that. When she was finally done, my haircut was so uneven that people on the train home asked me what had happened. In the wilds of rural Ireland, people told me they were sorry for me. When I got back to the States, the first thing I did was book an appointment with my own hairdresser. Phew.

That being said, I think you will love your haircut. I did the same thing last Christmas, and after the shock wore off, I loved it. I bet you will, too! So hang in there.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Xantippe, oh no!!! I can't even imagine what it turned out to be! Thanks for sharing your story!

I know I'll be fine in a couple of days. It's just that adjustment period. I noramlly go through this a little bit but we're a good three inches shorter than where I normally start!

• bellaflora
    14 years ago

I always wanted wavy hair when I was in HS. My mom took me to the old lady next door (who used to work in a salon). I don't know what mom told the lady w/ her broken English but I ended up with an Afro. NO kidding.

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

My turn, In 8th grade and you all remember how painful that year can be. I got my bangs cut. I had short hair with long bangs- it was the "surfer" cut in the 60s. I also have straight straight hair with no bend.
    Well she wet my bangs, pushed them down flat against my forhead and cut. No kidding, they were so short they stuck straight out. I was in tears for days.
    That was the last time I got my haircut until after my DS was born when I was 29! ( except for carefully monitored trimming of the ends - my DM did it for me)
    And then in the 80s( in a different state) I took a pic of Jennifer Grey( ya'll have seen the pic from Jasonmi) in a above the shoulder wavy side parted look. The perm and cut didnt look like hers- except for the color it looked more like little orphan annies.and when it was humid it curled tighter.
    And Shee I will not forget the text I got from my DD in her freshman year at college- "I colored my hair and now it looks like a rotten pumpkin". and yes it did. so we had that corrected here at home in a rescue hair appt! Love my hair stylist we have now!
    I have learned that if my DH loves my hair its all good! I bet yours is simply adorable!

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Oh shee you have such a pretty face I bet it looks cute.

.....Jane

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

Shee, like you, I've always been a long hair girl. My most upsetting haircut story happened when I was 14.

I was about to move to another state, school was about to start, & I thought I should get my pride & joy, past-shoulder-length hair w/"wings" (the Farrah era) trimmed. I went to the hippest, coolest salon in town. I was so exited!

I left the salon with my hair just brushing my shirt collar! I mean it was seriously, unequivocally, make-no-mistake about it, SHORT! To this day, I wonder what was wrong with the girl who gave me that haircut! Was she in a bad mood, in crisis, on drugs, or what?

At least your cut is basically a slightly shorter version of your usual "do." By Christmas you'll probably feel it's just right, which is good timing!

• neetsiepie
    14 years ago

I had below shoulder length hair and while on vacation at my grandparents farm, let my aunt, who was in beauty school at the time, talk me into the Dorothy Hamel wedge cut.

When I got back home my other Grandmother about plotzed, and my boyfriend threatened to break up with me. All my friends were horrified. It was pretty awful.

Lucky for me my hair grows super fast.

• kkay_md
    14 years ago

Mine isn't a horror story. I was graduating high school and had middle-of-my-back long, thick, naturally white-blonde hair. It was always the first thing anyone noticed about me, or commented on. I was tired of getting so much attention because of it, and got a super-short "boy cut" at a barber shop right before I left for the university! I loved feeling anonymous and blending into the crowd, and I loved the easy care. I tend to wear my hair to my shoulders these days (I can use all the help I can get) but I fondly remember being shorn of my locks.

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

Shee, your new cut sounds chic and cute, and I think sometimes we just need a change! I've been thinking of getting my bra-strap-length locks cut to where it just grazes my shoulders, but haven't yet fully committed to doing so. I do understand how strange it feels to lose the length, but by your description I am picturing your hair as looking very fresh and current.

When I was in high school I started using the dreaded Sun-In on my blonde hair, and like graduating to a harder drug, I then moved on to single-process haircolor. When I married my first husband, I had long, very blonde hair that I spent an inordinate amount of time curling into the ubiquitous Farrah Fawcett style that was popular back then. Shortly after I married, I went to to live with my then-husband who was in the USAF and stationed in the Philippines, and I continued to color and style my hair just as I had in the states. Well, it seems that a combination of water with a heavy mineral content, unrelenting sun, and overexposure to chlorinated pools turned my hair into a horrid disaster. My hair first turned a strangely sick orange shade, and then started breaking off. I ended up getting it cut super short out of necessity, and due to the breakage, it stuck out all over in pumpkin-hued spikes. When a young man asked me, "Hey, are you punk?" due to my haircut, I cried my eyes out. The last thing I wanted to look like was a punk rocker. I wanted my long, feminine hair back. Oh, it was awful.

I guess most of us have some hair horror story or another. Of course, hair does grow - but that's not really much of a comfort when one is in the throes of a full-on hair atrocity. ;-)

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

I'll bet it looks really cute. Of course we'll need a picture to be sure...

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

I once got a haircut that I was horrified with when I finally got to see it in the mirror. Walking to my car, people stopped and stared! Yes, really! DD wouldn't even walk with me - she stayed several feet back.

I didn't know what to do, but when I got home I decided it couldn't get any worse and cut it myself. The homemade butcher cut actually looked better. Needless to say, I let it grow asap!

Now, just yesterday, I got my hair cut and I realized this morning while styling it that one side is longer than the other! I'm thankful every day that hair grows - can you imagine what we would all look like if hair didn't grow back?!?!?!? hahahahaha

• DLM2000-GW
    14 years ago

For those who are old enough - not you shee!! - you'll remember this from the late 60's.
    Seems Vidal Sassoon got a lot of us into trouble!

{{gwi:1526855}}

My sister talked me into allowing HER to cut my hair like that - THE DAY BEFORE 8TH GRADE PICTURES and I don't have straight hair - not even sort of. In those days we didn't have straightening products and high volume blow dryers that could pull the curl out with big brushes. Needlss to say, my hair did not look like that.

I cut my picture out of my yearbook with an exacto knife.

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

LOL, dlm! I gotta say - that "do" is quite reminiscent of little toadstools that pop up in my yard after a good rain!
    ;-)

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

Toadstool indeed! Yet, look at Vidal, beaming so proudly.
    But, he DID make a great shampoo & conditioner. Remember the stuff in the dark brown bottles that smelled like amaretto? I loved the conditioner in the brown tube...nothing else ever has worked as well on my hair.

Dlm, what a story. You poor dear. But, you must have felt redeemed once the Farrah look was all the rage! While those of us with thin, fine locks were slaving over a hot curling iron to get the style, your hair must have had the natural fullness, body & curl that really made the style work.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Gosh when I did hair back in the Detroit area I use to cut the sasson all the time in the sixty's. In fact I went to a hair show and saw Sasson cutting hair for only ten bucks. Even then I thought that was dirt cheap.

• DLM2000-GW
    14 years ago

Oh yes I remember that shampoo and conditioner - loved it. That's true, body is one thing my hair has in spades - never owned a curling iron in my life! Flat iron, but not curling.

Toadstool Jen? Gee thanks! I knew it was bad but....

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oye that hair is something ha.

Newdawn - Aw, you're very sweet.

My best friend got a real botch job once. Her hair is very thin to begin with. The hair stylist wanted to try out her new texturizing sheers and this new thing she saw on a video. My poor friend's hair look so thin and lifeless! It was horrible. She cried. The girl put sections of her hair up in pony tails and just texturized the dayligths out of each strand.

I'm still not loving my hair and you don't have to either but please be gentle. Here's a side shot.
    {{gwi:1526857}}

It's even too short to use clips to pull up little sections. I like the messy look and pieces falling out but ALL of it's falling down when I try. lol In a month or so. . .

I've enjoyed reading all of these stories! Thanks for sharing!

• ctlane
    14 years ago

That looks nice! I was expecting it to be much shorter. Mine is a chin length loose bob. Can't tell from this angle but it could look cute about 3 more inches shorter.

I have a tendency to get a cut and then go home and "fix" it myself, with the scissors. Haircut before last, well lets just say it had to grow out for 6 weeks for her to actually get the proper angle back in.

Something else I really hate is when someone says "Oh, you got your hair cut" and that's all.lol

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ctlane - Ha I really had a bunch hacked off.

I flat ironed the bottom, poofed the top more and pulled the sides forward. Pieced some spots out with wax. I think looks a little better IRL. I should've checked my hair again before the picture. Changing out of my pjs wrecked it a little.

I know what you mean about the "you got your hair cut" comment! That usually means it looks bad! I'd rather someone not say anything about it than lie though.

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

Shee, I think it looks great (since that is how my hair looks - w/0 the bangs now!! Sometimes it takes a few days to get used to it. You ARE a cutie:)

Hairdresser, stylists, what ever the PC term is now - are totally worth their weight in gold - my Granny called them beauty operators! My DH got me "in" with THE guy in our town. It was just after I was pregnant so I had ALOT of hair - long and very thick (looked like a Christmas tree head!) Well, he had me put my head between my legs and started with the razor - for an hour!! I looked up and saw Joan Jett in my reflection and started singing "put another dime in the jukebox, baby!!" So, then had to get it all cut off & had the prerequisite "just had a baby short hair cut."

Smiles:)

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

Yes it's a great cut for you!

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

You have a gorgeous head of hair, darling! You can wear it shorter & still come across as having a lot of hair because you DO have a lot of hair. It's beautiful on you, & it's a very current style. If my hair was that thick & full, I'd be delighted to have that cut!

• tinam61
    14 years ago

Shee - that IS CUTE!!! I think I'd even like it a little shorter.

My hair is sooooo thick (and wavy), I have it really, really layered and still have to have it thinned a bit.

Love it!

tina

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

Shee, your new cut is adorable! I've been reading Charla Krupp's book, "How Not To Look Old" - and not that you need to worry about that at this point in your life, she does say that what women should strive for is shiny, swingy, tousled hair that has life to it. And yours definitely does.

You're making me want to cut more layers in my hair now. My "problem" is that while I want that straighter look that you have, my hair is becoming more and more curly as I age, and it's hard for me to get the look that you've got, even though I sure do covet it!

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    14 years ago

I think that your cut is darling and vibrant!

My hair never grows very long, at about my shoulders is the best I can normally get. Once as a moody girl, I got it cut short because I was trying to fix the mistake of the haircut I had just gotten. Well, short did not work with my curly hair in the humid south. My hair grows slowly so I looked like a fuzz ball for some time. It kinda looked like a darker version of Kirk Cameron's hair (good on him, not me).

After my first baby, I have continued to lose significant amounts of hair. Like handfuls at a time. I went into the salon and my friend combs out these thin sparse bangs and says, "Are you losing hair?" Not only was I fat (3 monthys post partum) but the one asset I used to have was going too. Now at 31, that asset is still falling out and is 30-45% gray. Yahoo.

• Irish2
    14 years ago

It's been fun reading everyones hair stories.
    Shee you are a cutie with a nice stylish haircut!
    I'm the BIG 60 so not into wearing the long locks...
    I am at the "stylist" every 4-5 wks for cut & color
    (dark brunette w/inverted "bob")

• natesgramma
    14 years ago

I've been quite confused and disappointed this last year when I colored my hair. It's gotten so much darker than it used to be. I finally figured it out when I discoverd that instead of using #06, I was using #09. DUH........

Anybody remember the shag? You would put your hair in a pony tail on the TOP of your head...and cut. That made it shaggy layers. Think shaggy dog.

Shee, I think your new cut is cute. Glad DH likes it too.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. So far I received one,"You got your hair cut" but it was from a male coworker. I had one girl tell me she really liked it but the whole time her face was in total shock. lol It was like she was trying to convince both of us. Everyone else had positive things to say and were convincing.

I'm still getting used to it. Why is it right after I whack my long hair off I see lots of photos of girls with gorgeous long hair? Went to Kohl's online to look at Lauren Conrad's new clothing line (bff loves the tops and wanted to check them out for Christmas) and there was a picture of pretty Lauren Conrad with her pretty long hair blowing in the breeze. lol

We had running to do last night and I threw on my coat and scarf (finally cold enough). Between that and my purse my hair length was royally on my nerves until I got home. It kept getting stuck under all the layers.

Stinkyg - Ah, but you're mistaken! My hair is more on the thin side. It looks fuller when it's short. That's the other problem once it gets so long it starts to look more stringy IMO. Blah. I'm a little concerned what I'm going to do when I get older. My Mom used to have a thick head of hair and hers is getting pretty thin. She's only in her 50s.
    Deal with it when it comes. :( Oh well, at least they make wigs!

• chloe_s_mom
    14 years ago

I hate styling my hair. And yet I want my hair to behave. After years of dying it blonde (started with highlights, progressed to something very odd, very blonde, very big - I have puffy hair), I chopped it short. As in two inches long all over. And then gradually grew it back to just past bra length....until the end of this summer, when, in 5 salon visits, going shorter each time, I lost my mind and finally got the pixie cut that I've always wanted to try. Never did it occur to me that despite trying to cut it into submission, my hair defies such attempts. And yes, everyone says, oh my goodness, you got QUITE the hair cut (and stops there). Looks, in my opinion, like a poorly executed man's hair cut. No pixies in sight. Oh well.

As for hair disasters, I have quite a few. Like the time I decided to trim my bangs in a poorly lit bathroom....a friend said that they were sooo short that they looked like eyelashes on my forehead - hahaha! or the time that I went to an expensive salon and ended up with a dull black 'do (was supposed to be dark ash blonde). My cat took one look at me and hid. Or the time that I decided to have my bangs chemically straightened....and half of my bangs broke off at the roots....I could go on.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Chloe!! Oh my, your kitty hid?! I got a chuckle there but man...you've been through it. You have guts though! People can say it's just hair all they want but we all know it can really change an appearance! Thanks for sharing!

• chloe_s_mom
    14 years ago

I really thought that by chopping it, I'd be foot loose and fancy free. And inground spa ready. I must admit that it is nice not using hair clips etc, but I didn't bank on my hair requiring so much product to keep it flat-ish, so many trims needed (I didn't cut my hair for 2 yrs once). On the bright side, wearing a hat this winter won't affect my 'do and may actually make it better (less like a wooly Q-tip)

• User
    14 years ago

Awe, I think your haircut is very pretty. I was expecting it to be much shorter. I like it.

You're thread title reminded me of my daughter. She's the one everyone is jealous of, she's has the most beautiful hair, lots of body and so black it's blue. It has a natural curl to it looks good no matter how it's cut. A couple of years ago, she wanted a perm, and told the girl, my hair doesn't need small rollers, but they used them anyway. She called me on the phone while driving home so upset. Kept saying she looked like Richard Simmons so I told her to stop by. I'm honest too...and unfortunately, she did. I felt so bad for her DH that night. No matter what he said it was the wrong thing. After a month it still hadn't relaxed and she had to go have it relaxed professionally. What a mess it was! We laugh now but it wasn't too funny then! LOL I think if you don't look like Richard Simmons, you're a step ahead of the game!

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lukkiirish - Your daughter's hair sounds gorgeous! I love natural black/blue hair. Richard Simmons huh? ha. Well, I did wonder if mine looked like Richie Sambora! Shhh.. I haven't mentioned that to anyone else because I don't want them to make a connection if they didn't!

• User
    14 years ago

Ha! Ok, your secret is safe with me! Yup blue black hair, lots of it w/body and curls to boot. Honestly, she looked like she had stuck her finger in an electrical socket. LOL, I'm so glad she has a sense of humor so we can laugh at it now, but mention the word perm and she freaks! LOL.

Seriously, I love your hair cut. If I could find a decent hair person where I live, I'd get mine cut like that in a heart beat!

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I thought I'd update this.

After I adjusted to my last hair cut I realized it wasn't giving me that change feeling I needed this time. I wacked it shorter Thursday. :) The back sits at the top of my neck and is angled longer in the front. Then Sat. I had some low lights foiled in. You can't really see it in photos but IRL it's just enough to give it some dimension. I was ready for the change and I really love it. I'll probably keep it this way for a bit.

I'll take a photo later. So far the few I did take aren't doing it justice.

• golddust
    14 years ago

Shee,

You would be adorable bald. Take advantage of your beauty and youth and enjoy living life out loud. That includes changing your hair up.

My sister has worn the same style since she was 5. Now her kids are convinced their very long, blond hair is *them*. My beautiful twins are now being raised the same way. "Blond hair is *everything*." Not!

Can't wait to see your new cut!

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Golddust- Aw, thanks. Yeah, this change was much needed. I almost feel like a new person if that makes any sense. I'm still partial to long hair and may look better in it but I'll be keeping it shorter for some time.

I like that I can use fun headbands and barrettes! Not that I couldn't with longer hair but I think it looks better when cut to a shorter style.
    You can actually see the color a little in these.
    {{gwi:1526859}}
    {{gwi:1526862}}

Merry Christmas everyone! :)

• parma42
    14 years ago

I just love it, Shee! Great angle to it.

Merry Christmas to you, too. :)

• ctlane
    14 years ago

I love it. Merry Christmas.

• DLM2000-GW
    14 years ago

Looks darling - great movement to it

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

It looks really good, so does the color !!!

• work_in_progress_08
    14 years ago

Very nice choice. Both styles are great, but I think the second one is a bit more "hip" according to DD, who kept at me to try that style. DD's stylist is just as cute as a button has that cut too. However, her hair is partially blonde, partially pink. She works in an upscale salon so she needs to look current I guess (glad I'm not her mom). I love it when people step out of their comfort box. No sense having the same haircut your entire life.

Yours is simply gorgeous girl!

• threedgrad
    14 years ago

Are there certain vitamins you would recommend to grow hair fast? I am still growing mine back after losing 1/2 of it due to chemo and the rest of it was damaged. I had long hair and never cut it off during chemo. My hair has always been fine textured and still is. Thanks!

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

Shee, you were adorable before the haircut, but this new do totally suits you! I love it!

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone! I still like it. :)

Eileen - A good multivitamin and B I always thought were very good for hair. I take both. I attached a link with more info. on more specific vitamins and minerals. I will say, like anything else, I don't believe all vitamins are created equal.
    Sounds like not all of your hair was lost? That's good it's growing back but more importantly it's great you're doing much better. :)

*I have no idea what vitamins they have on that site or how they are. I just did a search for vitamins for hair.

Here is a link that might be useful: vitamins for hair