SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piper101_gw

Suggestions 4 making shorts smaller w/out tearing my hair out

piper101
16 years ago

Hi, These are store bought shorts in denim material, elastic waste, all around. I have several sizes and now need to make the bigger ones just the same as the smaller ones. Such a problem to have but at least it's going in the right direction!!

Is it best to just make all seam allowances bigger, thus making the shorts tighter? What should I do about the elasticized waste? Or should I just take in the side seams sewing right thru the part where the elastic meets the side seams? Pockets are placed on the outside, so no problem there. I guess for this, I'm too cheap to get them all done at an alterations place since they weren't expensive to begin with. They just look terrible being too big and I really love them (style) so is there some RULE to follow on how to make shorts/pants smaller? I have other shorts that have elasticized back waste and regular front waste with no zippers, so how would you handle that since it's different? My sewing books really don't have good advice for this. I have never found a decent alterations book and I usually do home dec sewing since long ago, my perfectionist ways ruled out sewing for myself. I always knew where every little thing was and I was self conscious about it. Thank you for your suggestions!! Nicole

Comments (4)