SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blazedog37

Any Thoughts On This Chandelier - Age & Style?

Helen
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I inherited this chandelier from my mother. She was an inveterate buyer of "used" stuff and so I am certain that this was not purchased new. I remember it from my childhood home so I think she acquired it used sometime in the late 1950's or very early 1960's.

That of course leaves a wide range. I think it is from before World War II but I think it was originally wired for electricity as I also have a chandelier which was originally gas and retro-wired for electrical by my parents and the construction is different than electric fixtures. If anyone is familiar with gas powered chandeliers you know the inidicia of that.

The ceramic portion has a vaguely Art Nouveau or Arts & Crafts feel to me so 🤷🏼‍♀️ that would place it probably some time between the turn of the 20th century and World War II but that is just a stab in the dark - no pun intended. Any educated input welcome.

I have no real need to know what it is "worth" - I have no plans to move until I am either carted out by the funeral home or in such a mental state the monetary value of a light fixture is irrelevant 😂

Also it originally had brass chains swagging between the arms. I need to either replace them as some have gone missing as they deteriorated over the years or just remove them completely. Any thoughts on which option?

Comments (14)