SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michael_davy45

Our one bath restoration and the HD bucket we speak of no more.

Farley McDougal
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

The wife and I live in a simple place. I've had people tell me, "What a nice, starter home," and while I don't quite understand what they mean, I'm pretty sure we will fall out touch soon.

I'm really bad at taking before photos. Cell phone progress photos, yes (mostly so I can remember how things go back together or to text friends the image for help), but no befores. Luckily I did save the old realty photos so I enjoy side by siding those at the end of a project.

Our house is from the 40's but seems to rely heavily on 20's interior creation: coved ceilings, pretty archways, etc. The only thing that had been updated was the bathroom- in the 90's and I'll say "on a tiny budget," as an insult, but will then tote that word as a good thing later in this thread. But for now, I'll just copy and paste my Facebook post on this project to save a little writing time and you'll never be the wiser.

First off some thanks in order since most of this stuff was new. The wife who encourages me to do projects and kept me a little saner; The tools and knowledge borrowed from the older fellas ; People that helped move heavy things; My sponsors: craigslist, offerup, covid, and that one time I accidentally clicked on pinterest when the wife was out of town; Any man in my life that put a tool in my hand, let me watch over a shoulder, etc (don't make that weird); And the mother who pushed new experiences and also gave me my first tool set, which I'm still confused to this day why it was pink (wrenches still in my box).

Everything got rearranged in the room besides the window that's still in position and the toilet (except for that one week - thanks to another sponsor, Home Depot and your big orange buckets). We were even able to save and lift the original ceiling arch after much brainstorming with Steve (you don't know him).

Finally photos:

After

Before (with huge black tiles)

Before

After

What's that weird cabinet?

Save the arch, save the top of my head.

*note fire extinguisher

Everything was done on our tiny budget like the beadboard wallpaper (shhh), and lots of online marketplace pre-collecting, then reselling parts I didn't need. Almost everything was done in labor myself. The wife helped greatly with the floor, and I think I mentioned, Steve's help (I told you already, you don't know him. It doesn't matter what his last name is). Plenty of things went right, some things are probably still wrong (but very well hidden), and others, like a couple tile shifts that I will always see and harp on from my now non-orange throne are things nobody else even notices.

Comments (43)