SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njlibrarian

Contractor bids all over the place?

njlibrarian
2 years ago

I have been saving up for some time hoping to put a small addition on my 1950s Cape. My hope was to add on a 165 SF space as a small family room--Basic oak floors, maybe 3 or 4 double-hung windows with trim on the front side, a glass door and simple stairs to the backyard, some electrical outlets, and a ceiling fan. It would entail opening up an end wall (just behind the carrying beam that runs end to end down the house). The opening with a new support beam would extend from behind the carrying beam to the back wall, and the add-on would go straight out to the side. I didn't know if I would need to add some kind of minisplit, or could tie into my existing HVAC, so I figured that might also need to be added on to my budget. (In my fantasy version, I would put in a gas fireplace, but I figured I could do that later.) Not knowing much about construction costs, I tried to look into pricing to get a sense of how much I would need to have in the bank. I kept seeing a very standard $80-$208 price PSF quoted on many informational Web sites. Since I live in central NJ pretty close to Princeton, I used the top end as the base for my estimate, and figured I would need to add in additional for the floors, the windows, and door, plus for the foundation and other issues or adjustments that might arise. Contractor #1 was recommended by 4 close neighbors, all of whom have used him for renovation projects (some multiple projects over time). They all sung his praises, saying he was excellent, fair, did great work, kept close to his estimate except for unavoidable problems or their own changes. He gave me an estimate coming to about $185 PSF (which I assumed would end up a bit higher in the end, but sounded reasonable as the starting amount), and said he could start in about 3 months, which I said was fine. After that I never heard from him again. Eventually, I tried to reach out to firm things up about any details, permits, etc. I might need to be on top of, but I got no reply to my texts (texted him 3 times over 8 weeks, with the last one about a month ago now). Contractor #2 kept trying to sell me on adding a full kitchen remodel and doubling the square footage of the add-on. In the end, he said he would "write it up both ways," and then I never heard from him again. Contractor #3 I had heard very good things about, but no one close to me had ever used. After asking me a lot of detailed questions about what I was hoping to do (and also inquiring about remodeling the kitchen at the same time, but not pushing it when I said I couldn't afford to add that on to this project), he said it would cost about $120,000--nearly $730 PSF. I initially thought he meant including the kitchen (reader, he did NOT). He was very nice, not condescending at all when I said that was above my budget. I didn't say, Your bid is TOO HIGH. I just said unfortunately, that sounded like more than I could afford or should realistically invest in this house in this neighborhood. He asked what my other bids had been and I told him the details above. He said that it was unlikely that anyone could do the job at the price Contractor #1 said ($185 PSF) "without cutting a lot of corners." Despite the slight snarkiness there, he actually was very nice. But it left me wanting to say, I said 11x15, not 11x50. Can such a modest addition with essentially nothing fancy to it (yes, I realize wood floors and decent windows and doors can add up, but can they add up to the tune of $120,000?). I'm not sure where to turn now. These two estimates are miles apart, and I have found it is nearly impossible to get anyone to even return a call. If my idea that I can find someone who is skilled for $210 PSF+ is highly flawed, can someone let me know what might be a reasonable amount to expect to pay? I'm not a person who is all about "bargaining down the contractor as low as possible." I believe in paying fairly for someone's work. I just don't know what would be reasonable now. If I were to pay someone $120,000 for this small add-on, it would be financially irresponsible. I'm in a modest neighborhood, and I would be investing far outside what I could reasonably expect to get for my home--even in this tight market. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. At this point, I feel almost embarrassed to call anyone else with my apparently paltry budget. Thank you for any light you can shed. I appreciate it.

Comments (17)