SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robyn393

Turning down a contractor's bid proposal

robyn393
15 years ago

We are building our first home and spoke with a guy who is familiar to us through our son's school. He is a GC and we told him upfront that we were subbing out our jobs and would like for him to bid on foundation and blacking it in. We told him we were getting all materials and his proposal would be for labor cost only. Picked up the "CONTRACT" today and here is the low-down:

Foundation $20,000- includes materials and labor

Dtywall- 12,000.00- includes materials and labor

Windows - 5,000- they are the cheap ones :(

Framing materials -$47,000

Labor cost- 30,000

Pump Truck - 1,500(which we have been told we would not need unless it was muddy- it has not rained here in 3 months!)

Rough-in plumbing- 3,100

Upcharge and misc. $16,000.00

It roughly totals $126,000.

1) We asked for labor cost only

2) He is subbing all jobs out and then making mark-up already

3) His framing cost is almost twice as high as others

4) Windows and drywall??? Was that included just to add to the 16,000... mark-up???

We still have to contract a brick mason, electrician,roofers, plumber for inside, septic system, finisher, painter, flooring-tiling guy and still have to pay for materials such as: bricks, electrical supplies and fixtures, cabinets, applicances, paint, flooring, roofing, habdware and fixtures, plumbing supplies.......... I could go on...

I realize that a general contractor is doing my job is I employ him to oversee jobs, but I did not ask for him to do anything but get a bid on the foundation and labor to rough-it in. I can understand an up-charge on those things I asked him to do, but where did the materials come in and the drywall and the windows.....when I do not want them included in the up-charges. I feel TAKEN! We have priced the framing materials and the MOST we can come up with is $19,000.00. We that is without the 12percent discount the home building store is giving us.

So........... our next call will be to say........thanks, but no thanks. Sorry our time was wasted. Both mine and yours. But when it comes to business, and building my hone is my business when I am spending my mighty dollar, I can not afford to pay someone $50,000 over what I can get the work done for myself by subbing it out. That would make my house payment go up 500 for dollars a month at least. UGHHHH

Now we are back at square one...looking for sub-contractors ourselves.

Comments (17)