SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hollylh_gw

How did your contractor put together his bid?

hollylh
15 years ago

Another thread I was just reading made me think of this question. I have two bids so far and have been lazy about getting more, bc one contractor has worked with our architect (who is also a good friend of ours) a lot and has great references. But the two bids could not have been more different. One was this very nice guy who works mostly with his son...didn't get any subs out here to look or anything. It took a while to get any numbers from him bc he said he was busy, but when I finally did they were just that--three numbers (I had given him three slightly different architect sketches), which I found out he had based purely on the amount of square footage. (He used $300/ft for the kitchen and $200/sq ft for the family room.) The quotes were all around $150K.

I thought, well, that's ridiculous. I could have come up with those numbers myself--they weren't based at all on the actual work being done. That's why they're so high, I thought. Ha.

The second guy came with an assistant, took pictures and the drawing I had, talked with the architect, and after what he said was about 20 hours of work came up with a two-page itemized rough bid--for $210K!!

As I said we are inclined to use this guy, and we have identified lots of places where he overestimated what we wanted. But still. And since he spent 20 hours just on the rough bid,and we then had a 2 hour meeting about it (the other guy just mailed me a sheet of paper), I am afraid to think how long he will spend on the final bid, and how could I not use him after that? He is bringing subs by this week. I know it's jsut the way he chooses to do business (very conscientiously, which I guess bodes well), but still...am I right in thinking most contractors are somewhere in between these two extremes?

Comments (14)