SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cosmocat_gw

Basic Contractor Bid ?s and other

cosmocat
13 years ago

Greetings, it has been awhile for me...

I've been burned and if I'm gonna redo a kitchen and shell out the tens of thousands of $$ then I want it right and done in a timely matter. So we started the process of interviewing contractors Fall 2009. It was taking 6-8 weeks for contractors to provide me with a bid, frustrations mount. Granted I think the scope of work my friend/designer helped put together was a bit vague, more frustrations. Then I just never loved any layout that anyone came up with and I got frustrated with the whole process. Late this summer decided to start up again with a contractor not on the original interview list. He has an architect. They came out measured, hired a structural engineer and provided me with plans that I really like (granted I had to pay a few thousand for that). Got that in August. Beginning of Sept I told him we were ready to start and I needed a bid. I still do not have a bid. He brought in his kitchen designer (upscale company). I've told him my budget and the kitchen cabinets alone come in at half the budget. Still don't have a final bid. Now he wants his interior designer to come in so I can pick final granite, tile, tile design, cabinet color and species, plumbing fixtures, etc. He says he needs to know everything to provide an accurate bid. Really? No one else I interviewed needed that final of a list. How long should this take? We are almost at 3 months.

And those architectural drawings...he has given them to each of his subcontractors at no cost to me...but the kitchen designer needed a copy and he billed me for her copy?

I feel like I'm either too picky or have a magnet that attracts trouble. Or some of both?

What can I expect from a GC? How long should a bid take? Just exactly how much info does he need?

TIA

Comments (8)