SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_856346171

Pest control regimen/suggestions

John (Zone 5b/6a, IN)
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I was worried about a pest outbreak this winter and it's happened. Spider mites (or flat mites, but I'm petty sure it's spider mites) on several cacti, mealybugs here and there, and something I can't quite identify on my Graptopetalum rusbyi.
The spider mites are more established than I'd like. I only noticed the damage and confirmed their presence about 2-3 days ago and have been treating with a 50/50 water to 70% iso spray every other night to try and knock down the adult population.Mealybugs are... around. I don't find them often, but I know they're there.The last thing though I'm worried might be thrips (western, maybe?) on my G. rusbyi. They're small, sort of long-ish, and a sort of orangey-tan color. Not very fast, but not exactly slow either. I know that's vague and I apologize.
We're getting ready to move in 2.5 weeks so *of course* this is happening now. Right now I'm looking more for a systemic based option and am trying to decide what would work best to cover my bases. I've got just a bit on my plate right now and would really appreciate any suggestions or recommendations. Was looking for maybe a pyrethrin based option as I've heard (not read anything conclusive so, grain of salt and all that) that Imadacloprid based products can somehow increase the reproduction rate of spider mites. Any info on that, just for sating my curiosity mainly, would be appreciated as well.
Summary (bc it's late and I ramble)
Have: pest issue (spider mites, low poplation of mealies, and something not IDed but potentially thrips)
Want: systemic suggestions. Pyrethrin vs. Imidacloprid?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County