SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jayceeach

Tobacco based pest control

Jaycee
7 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with tobacco-based pest control methods? I have been using isopropyl alcohol to treat a mealybug infestation on a couple of my plants, but I'm getting a little discouraged that after 2 months, the little buggers are still popping up. I've seen lots of suggestions for Bayer 3-in-1 and Listerine for mealybug control, and as I was looking online for more information, I saw someone suggest soaking tobacco in water to create a spray.

Looking into it more, I learned that nicotine is what kills the bugs and that imidacloprid (the active ingredient in Bayer spray) is actually a man-made chemical clone of nicotine? I know that one of the cons of imidacloprid is its affect on honey bees and birds, but this new-to-me information about nicotine is interesting to me. Does anyone use tobacco to treat pests? Should I expect that it would have similar environmental side effects as imidacloprid?

Also, I realize that the use of insecticides is a highly polarizing subject, so I'm not trying to start a heated debate. Knowing what I know about imidacloprid, I'm just interested in knowing what people's experiences with tobacco sprays are and how its effectiveness/pros/cons would compare to something like Bayer 3-in-1.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting