SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

How picky are you about hotel room decor?

mtnrdredux_gw
2 years ago

I admit that decor matters to me a lot more than it should. The hotel may be have great facilities, great views, great locations, great space, OTT luxury ... but if I don't like the decor I just can't pull the trigger.

I've been known to reject an otherwise ideal spot because it has a red lobby! I am really frustrated that all ski lodges look the same.

I've also been known to adjust my itinerary for a special quaint charming hotel. This also the reason I prefer Airbnb. Even the very best chains have impersonal somewhat corporate decor. Either frou frou or sleek. So much more interesting to see what Airbnb has on offer.

Here is a room I cannot stand even though the resort is highly desirable, one look and it was off my list. Hurts my eyes.

Here is a place I've always wanted to stay solely because of the decor but we rarely stay ON in NYC.

Comments (49)

• Funkyart
    2 years ago

Absolutely-- decor is part of the comfort factor.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Funkyart
  • Bookwoman
    2 years ago

I don't care so much about the lobby, but for vacations we have absolutely not chosen certain hotels because of the room decor. Your top photo would be a hard no from me as well.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Bookwoman
  • Related Discussions

Learning to decorate - HOW do you decorate a room?

Q

Comments (32)
    All of these responses are great, and I think what you need to take away from this is that there's no *one* process, everyone works differently. As someone who does this kind of professionally, I can tell you that not even trained designers work exactly the same way. Two things to remember....1) there are no hard and fast rules (or, there's an exception to every rule); 2) a good house is never done -- seriously. Also, as many of the others posters said, it's usually easier to start small rather than try to do it all at once. That being said, this is how I work....when I meet a new client, I ask TONS of questions. Like: -What do you like -- not only in terms if the room, but in life in general? I always look at the whole house, even if I'm just doing the bathroom, because you can't judge on the basis of one room. - How do you use the room now? How do you want to use the room? - What needs to stay in the room, and what would you like to disappear? - what colors do you like or hate. - What do other members of the family think about the room (esp DH)? _ Are there any special concerns (allergies, physical issues, etc) or special needs (like the bedroom also has to have the home office, for example)? -What time of day do you normally use the room? How many people are usually in it? (and there are a lot more, but you get the idea) Then I measure *everything*, make note of outlets & fixtures, and take pictures of *everything*. Then I start my floorplan and gather ideas for the large furniture pieces. Every job is different for me because every client is different. Some say right from the get-go "I like a cottage look", and others have no idea except that they don't want blue. For some I can start with an existing piece (carpet or artwork) and for others I start with traffic pattern and room use. Last thing I'll say is talk to everyone -- especially here! There are a wealth of talented, creative people on this forum, and I have yet to be disappointed when I've needed input from these folks. Hth, and good luck! Leigh
    ...See More

How would you decorate my dining room?

Q

Comments (5)
    I would look at something from Tommy Bahama, Stanley, or Lexington since it is your money and they all have gorgeous traditional sets that have a tropical vacation home feel. The brand names on this page links to their catalog (FL btw and they are having a sale on these brands now) http://www.annabellesfurniture.com/ The link below has chairs that are similar but a little less heavy than the model home Here is a link that might be useful: lexington monterey sands chair
    ...See More

How much control do you let kids have and decorating their rooms?

Q

Comments (78)
    I love how her room is coming along! It's fun,sophisticated, and entirely appropriate. The wood tones fit in really well. I didn't go into my personal experience with letting children choose their decor, but overall my attitude is that they should have choice within a set of parameters; I have boys who are not highly opinionated and my decor style is not highly feminine.
    ...See More

How would you decorate this great room wall?

Q

Comments (18)
    I would buy the largest rug possible for the area with the sectional which will help to "pull out" the sofa from that corner. Something with a bit of color to liven up the monochromatic look of the wall and sectional would really help. Instead of red I would consider yellow or lime green pillows, and also pillows with more colors and patterns. I don't see any lighting in that corner which gives it a rather "dead" look. A tall lamp to the left of the sectional would add height to that area in addition to light. Since the mantel already has a shelf-like look, I'm not sure whether shelves are the best idea. They should at least look very different in design and I would paint them the color of the wall. That will make whatever you put on them really stand out. It's a very nice room otherwise. If you like art, a beautiful picture over the mantel would make that area more of a focal point.
    ...See More
  • Jilly
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Picky.

We eloped to Negril in ’14 and stayed at a very intimate (for days, we were the only guests there) boutique hotel on the cliffs over the ocean. It was paradise. We had our own two-story stone villa amid lush tropical trees and plants, and it was decorated in beautiful, warm Caribbean colors, stones, textures, luxurious fabrics, stained woods, etc. So lovely and welcoming.

The ”lobby” was this awesome open-air space with beautiful Jamaican sculptures and art. The restaurant was also open-air and had a wonderful feel of casual luxury.

We decided we’d visit again and again, and always reserve “our” villa.

Welp, months after we were there, it sold. And the corporation that bought it redid everything into sleek all black and white decor, painted glossy black over the wood trims and doors, put down slippery white tiles, put in black ultra-modern furniture, plain fabrics, everything so slick and cold … no hint that you were in the Caribbean. They enclosed the lobby (and no more art) and restaurant, so you’d sit behind glass instead of breathing in the ocean.

It’s awful. They removed every bit of charm and character. It’s about as welcoming as a hospital. And we won’t visit again, even though the location is so spectacular.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Jilly
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

aww jinx, bummer

• jojoco
    2 years ago

I love charm and old world but dh loves Marriott ( points, credit card, etc ) Occassionally we will have to stay elsewhere and charm usually prevails. we rented an apartment in venice for a week that was blissfully eccentric and homey. I fully expect our hotel room in Hawaii to be perfectly fine, albeit pedestrian. But it is oceanfront so that will make all the difference.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked jojoco
  • Tina Marie
    2 years ago

I am probably not as picky as you LOL. The decor does matter but so do other things. I would definitely not stay in the first hotel you show above.

We've stayed in some charming VRBO's, Abnb, etc. Two of the best are old houses. One being in Leiper's Fork (lovely area outside of Nashville). I could not believe all the antique pieces and family items used in the decor! I would have been scared to have many of the items in a rental. The other is an old stone house, which also has some antiques and is owned by a couple whose family owned the property. The wife has done all the decorating and she has a touch for it. We have stayed there more than once.

PS if you want to stay in that charming hotel, no matter that it is nearby, you should whisk your husband off for a romantic evening! My husband has done that before, and it is a fun thing! Even nearby, sometimes a change of scenery is nice. We've recommended it to several younger couples with children. (A nice dinner and a night alone! LOL)

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Tina Marie
  • 3katz4me
    2 years ago

Oh yes - pretty much feel the same as you do Mtn - that first photo is a definite NO - painful to look at. I've reached the point though where I rarely stay in any kind of hotel for more than a one night sleep when traveling from point a to b. Hotels and hotel decor are just not appealing to me anymore no matter how nice one might be. The exception is a unique historic boutique hotel/inn in an ideal location. I just don't enjoy staying in a bedroom for days on end so we now always look for a vacation rental. And those I will flat our reject based on decor - frumpy, fussy, dated, colors I can't stand, etc. I only pick the ones that look "perfect" to me and so far have not been disappointed.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked 3katz4me
  • Lars
    2 years ago

My tastes are pretty much the opposite of yours, and so I would like the hotel in the first photo and dislike the hotel in the second two photos.

I do pay attention to hotel decor, when I am given the option, and I stayed in hotels that I absolutely loved in Italy. However, you would hate them. I also stayed in B&Bs in Rio that I loved that you would also hate.

A lot of it depends on how long we will be at one hotel - I am not that particular if I will be at the hotel for one or two nights, but we often stay at one place for a week at a time, or for at least three nights, and then it does matter a lot more.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Lars
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

I did stay at a hotel as it was near my GFs who I was visiting at the time, but had I had a choice, never again. It was extremely spartan and modern and just left me feeling cold the whole time I was there. Fortunately, it was just an overnight.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Allison0704
    2 years ago

You need to stay in the second hotel - just because. I am probably not as picky as you, but I wouldn't stay in the first one either.

If traveling with DH, we usualy get a junior suite since he wakes up hours before I do and wants coffee, etc before going for a walk. We've been bumped up to large suites in Vegas (we don't gamble much, just lucky). I think he was afraid I wouldn't want to stay in a regular hotel room again. He was comparing it to once you own a luxury vehicle, you really don't want to downgrade. There is a difference though between staying in a room for one or two nights and longer stays. Anything over a couple, and I want more room. A quiter room (not near elevator or vending machine/ice room) and a view are important too.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Allison0704
  • nicole___
    2 years ago

I LOVE high end hotels! We've stayed in some gorgeous rooms. Fantasy Towers in Caesars Palace. The Mirage. En Suite @ the airport in Taiwan. A private island in Sulawesi, Wakatobi.

There is a nasty one in Estes Park that stands out. :0)

mtnrdredux_gw thanked nicole___
  • Fori
    2 years ago

I like the first room but generally I don't give a flying *&^% as long as it's clean and comfortable.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Fori
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    2 years ago

As a Marriott points gal, I accept that sometimes my options are limited. But in Europe, the trade off is air conditioning! I also look at the type of coffee machine in the room. I don't like "cheap" interiors, although I've stayed in many. If I end up in a really unky spot, I make a note not to go back. And the best hotel with terrible insulation in the walls is way worse than a medium hotel where you can't hear your neighbors.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • llitm
    2 years ago

Decor is everything. Period. ;)

DH learned a loooong time ago to run the accommodations by me before booking. He's come a loooong way, baby!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked llitm
  • gsciencechick
    2 years ago

I have stayed in places like #1 based on location: The D in Las Vegas, The Moment in LA. We were at events and these were the closest hotels. Or sometimes I'm at a conference and there are specific conference hotels. But generally I try to stay at a Hyatt, Marriott, or Hilton.

Where we stayed for our honeymoon in NYC was a place called the Buckingham. Total charming hotel with little suites, and we felt like we lived in NY. The 1 BR suite had parquet floors, a small galley kitchen, and a tiny bathroom, so, of course, this could not be, and the whole place has been gutted and is now the Quinn by Hilton. Great location near Central Park. Looking at new photos, the bathrooms were definitely enlarged.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked gsciencechick
  • Arapaho-Rd
    2 years ago

Yes, it matters to me. We don't get to travel much, but when we do I spare no expense to get what appeals to me. dH is much easier. I figure.... we may never pass this way again!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • Tina Marie
    2 years ago

Yes @Allison0704! Some hotels offer a 2 room suite, which is great for us. I think it also has to do with what you are doing, etc. We typically do not spend alot of time in the room.

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

I hate the first one.

One of the things that bothers me with hotel rooms is the lighting. If it's lit up with 4000 K high wattage spotty lighting I will hate it.

If it has LVT floors in the rooms, I will hate it.

If it has the burnout screen print of Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly anywhere I will hate it.

But I generally like weird and sometimes ugly hotels and hotel rooms to stay in because I don't live there

I liked a hotel room in Manhattan that had two rooms, one regular, one barely big enough for a twin bed, and a weird bathroom. And a staircase that you could walk up and down instead of using the elevator.

I liked one that somehow was attached to the rectory and parish offices of a church, in Midtown. (The hotel lobby seemed to be on the first floor, then the elevator opened onto a number of utilitarian floors that were clearly parish offices. Plus people from choir practice and such were getting in and out of the elevator, and then up another floor and it turned into hotel again. I don't think it's there anymore.)

I liked one in San Francisco that was like an apartment Judy from Vertigo would live in. It had a vinyl roller blind on the window and looked like it was decorated in 1960.

Sometimes I go for budget, and I have stayed at a great hotel with a great room but with my window covered with scaffolding or something.

I like the Westgate in San Diego over the top 1960s Regency and one of the weirdest dinner with entertainment experiences I have ever had.

PS, my SO recently stayed in a Hotel in Manhattan that had no one manning reception after 6 PM and had a litterbox behind the desk. It was cheap, and clean, despite the cat.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked palimpsest
  • nini804
    2 years ago

I have become such a hotel snob! I wasn’t always…I used to not care/was easily impressed. Growing up, my family had a beach house where we were a lot during the summer. Other than the obligatory Disney World and Washington DC/Williamsburg kind of trips…they didn’t take us when they went to more exotic places. So, I didn’t have much hotel experience. Staying at the Contemporary at WDW was truly thr apex of my childhood hotel knowledge. 😂

Flash forward to being an adult. It only took a couple of really nice hotel stays to completely ruin me. Decor is important, but view comes out a little ahead in my book. And service is up there, too, naturally. When all three are together…that’s my perfection. We stayed in this amazing hotel in Costa Rica with gorgeous, dark wood trim, that framed a gigantic window. The view was of the Arenal volcano and it was breathtaking. I think both the Cloister and the Sanctuary, and Half Moon in Jamaica, have lovely, layered decor. The Cloister and Half Moon both have long, storied histories and the decor plays into that. All have tdf views and amazing service as well.

The oddest place we’ve stayed was this hotel called The Saint in NOLA. It looked like a typical old hotel building from the outside, but it was so weird inside. Our actual room was well done, with modern furniture and a gorgeous bath & linens and exposed brick walls, but they seemed to be playing on a saint/sinner theme in the common areas. When you got off the elevator, all of the lighting in the halls was blue. (so eerie) The elevator had a flat screen that played clips from obscure black and white movies, silently, on a loop. The bar had blood red walls… I don’t know…the whole place seemed to be designed to either appear haunted and/or a place to do illicit things? 😂 It is in NOLA, after all.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked nini804
  • Sueb20
    2 years ago

I’m picky about a lot of things, including hotels, but not really about the decor of a hotel. I don’t care about the color scheme, or whether the furnishings are traditional or modern. Clean and somewhat ”plush” — ie nice beds and towels — are probably my top criteria. (After location.) We have stayed in a lot of lower end chain hotels over the years, for various reasons, especially for events like gymnastics meets. But we have also stayed at the Four Seasons in a few places and omg the Baur Au Lac in Zurich…best room ever. Only stayed one night but I wanted to stay forever.

I surprised DH with a weekend in NYC for his bday several years ago. Because it was a surprise, I had to use my own tiny part-time-job budget. I found a hotel that looked like a cute, kind of artsy small inn, in a good location. The room ended up being, umm, kinda like a dorm room. Painted dark red. I am no longer allowed to reserve hotel rooms in NYC.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Sueb20
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I've been to BarAu Lac! Used to work for a Zurich-based bank. The hotel was lovely but what i most recall was $50 to press (not dryclean, just press) a skirt. Luckily that was a business expense. Such a pretty town. I've been there a few times in winter and their Christmas lights are gorgeous.

Anyway, the more I think about it, hotels are an opportunity for vicarious decor. Being in a certain environment is a big part of vacation for me. I wouldn't want to stay at a property that is not at least as pleasant and to my tastes as my home. And to be clear, we are not always talking about the price point,but style.Luxury alone doesn't really interest me if I won't enjoy my room. I know those who will say "I'm not spending all day in my room anyway." True, but your environment frames your day and sets your mood.

I especially like to stay someplace "hip" because it is usually more interesting and so are the guests. In the old days, I'd stay at the Boston Four Seasons; today I like to stay at a converted Y in the South End.

It does sometimes go awry. I chose a very cool hotel in Medellin. Great decor, adorable plein aire coffeeshop/lobby, on a jungly green street of boutiques and restaurants. All 3 of our rooms had balconies ... about 6" deep and staring at cinder block. I was impressed that they let us off the hook, no questions, andJojo's contact helped us relocate.

• Allison0704
    2 years ago

@nini804 My FIL was an ironworker and helped build the Contemporary. Before DW opened, all the construction families got to explore, tour and go on all the rides so DH and his brothers were some of the first guests allowed inside the park.

• localeater
    2 years ago

I care about the decor, but it is definitely not the most important thing for me and the weighting factors that come in to play with choosing a hotel will definitely vary with the purpose duration of the trip.

Before Christmas DH and I planned a long weekend in Boston to go to the SoWa craft fair. We stayed in a chain hotel, probably a Hilton(DH is a points guy) near Tufts Medical Center/Chinatown area. Totally loved the hotel. We were on the 5th or 6th floor, big open staircase to the lobby so I never had to use the elevator, nice bar, Starbucks in the lobby, walking distance to South Station. I have no recollection of the room's decor.

• nini804
    2 years ago

To my circa 1980 little girl eyes…NOTHING would ever compare to the Contemporary! @Allison0704 your dh was a lucky little boy to see it first. Bet your FIL has some cool stories!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Travelling with 5, typically involves suites, esp when they were younger. If it just DH and I, I like a sitting area where you do not see the bed. Now, even if we get three rooms for the kids, we still like a suite with a sitting area so we can sit and talk as a family.

As far as the Crosby, I would sooner go with the girls because they would also love love the decor. DH would like the decor but he would not squeal with delight.

The last time I stayed O/N in NYC, just a few weeks ago, I stayed at a quirky place I liked a lot ... called Room Mate Grace. It was the most convenient spot for me. I paid almost as much to park (SUV) as the room cost. They even have a room with four twins!

• Allison0704
    2 years ago

@nini804 He did and DH does too. FIL passed away last year at 92yo. He also worked on the Polynesian. Before DW, he worked on the VAB at Kennedy Space Center and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge expansion.

• l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

Sanitation, upkeep and cleanliness are our biggest issues, but to the extent that decor is part of that, then yes. We have found a few rare places that meet all the criteria, but sometimes they go under. It's a difficult business made even more difficult by pandemic circumstances and the rise of vrbo and airbnb. Some of our favorite places have either gone precipitously downhill or even closed and been torn down . . . I almost hate to like a place, my taste seems to be of the great but not viable long term realm . . .

mtnrdredux_gw thanked l pinkmountain
  • yeonassky
    2 years ago

I would probably stay in the white, yellow, lime green? and black room if it were clean. I love colour and would not be visually offended by the bright colours. Of course I have the British layered look for my pictures and so on so I'm definitely hard to offend about that.

I'm not sure how true my I thinking is for others but I think some of us need a visually quiet room because we need to be soothed and I seem to need to be energized by color in just about every room.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked yeonassky
  • texanjana
    2 years ago

I am more picky about the location and the bed than the decor. However, many of our travel agents have stayed at this hotel, and I want to stay there now based on the decor. Every room is different. https://www.theroyalportfolio.com/the-silo/overview/

mtnrdredux_gw thanked texanjana
  • nekotish
    2 years ago

Location and a comfortable bed are what I look for. We spend very little time in our hotel room on vacation - just a place to sleep and shower so as long as it is clean and has a comfy bed, I can overlook the bad paintings and dated furniture.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked nekotish
  • Bunny
    2 years ago

Ditto what nekotish said. As long as it's clean and everything works, decor doesn't matter to me.

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

The first photo would be a big NO for us. I’m a Hilton girl and picky about a lot of things…location, comfort (especially the bed), security, sometimes the view if it’s our final destination. The lobby decor is not as important to me as we usually spend minimal time there. We’ll also stay in other boutique properties, National Park properties, and whatever suits our itinerary.

Funny, when we went to Ireland on a tour, I was truly worried about the hotels, as we were not in control of those. The company advertized they were luxury accommodations, but you know, you get to some fairly remote, small Irish and Scottish towns and ya never know. I have to say, the hotels were absolutely wonderful, some greatly above expectations. There were a couple where our view wasnt great, but the room was good, comfortable and clean. Some were a little warm and we had to ask for a fan, but in general, we were pleasantly surprised.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked OutsidePlaying
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Interesting, I'm surprised how many of you don't really care about hotel decor, when we all care so much about it in our homes! Comfy beds and cleanliness and safety absolutely go without saying. And frankly probably location too, at least to a point.

As far as service, I find service in luxury hotels to be intrusive without much benefit. I don't need help with my bags; they are on wheels TYVM. I never understood pulling up to a hotel, the bellman whisks away your luggage (sometimes out of your sight) and gives you a tag. Then you go up to your room and wait for the bags and tip him when they come? That MO never made sense to me; it's like being charged for inconvenience. I resent the mini-bar knock*, and for years it was in my profile with a certain chain that I wanted an empty mini-bar (and a certain pillow!.) How about those hotels that have the clock radio playing when you arrive in the room? Hate that. And as much as I like being spoiled, I am too picky about my food to enjoy room service much, and i really dislike eating in a room staring at a bed. I do not want my bed turned down for a piece of chocolate. I'd rather be left alone. Though there was a hotel in India where they unpacked and repacked your luggage for you, wordlessly while you were at breakfast. That I liked!

Which reminds me, speaking of pleasant surprises like the example above, India really does have some of the best hotels in the world, which I did not believe until I went.

As far as "spend very little time," in the room IDK. We don't lounge much on vaca, but still. It usually takes me an hour to get ready, and probably I am up an hour before we go to bed. Often, at the end of a day we will come back to change for dinner, and the family will gather to chat first. So that is a fair amount of time.

Fair point we don't usually hang around lobbies, but again they set the tone. If they spark joy, that sets your mood. The most successful lobbies fit the setting, and reinforce where you are. Here's an example from Panama, where we stayed in a converted department store. It adds to my enjoyment to stay in a place like this moreso than a perhaps even more expensive high end chain.

Texanjan, Yes, that would def be my kind of place! I love those two tone velvet sofas. Honestly sometimes I see a hotel like that, and think ... ok investors felt there was a market for that, so that must be a place where like-minded people want to go. Then I check out the location. Sort of backwards planning !

*I forget where I recently read a comedian saying "when I was a kid, I was certain taking a soda from the mini bar would plunge my family into financial ruin."

PS what is/was The Contemporary? We Yankees wanna know!

• l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

One of the things I have found that ends up being an issue is noise. I've stayed in some charming, clean and well maintained places only to find out that there was some type of noise issue, either from other rooms, outside, or in one case near Lake George, an adjacent property with kids I could hear bragging about trying to make as much noise as possible . . .

The "Contemporary" hotel that I am familiar with is (or was) at Disney World. We stayed there once when it was first open. At the time, only the Polynesian and the Contemporary were open. We were staying outside of the Park and us kids were obsessed with trying to stay on site. You had to reserve months and months in advance which we had not. My dad was at the registration desk trying to see if they had any cancellations that we could get, and the guy said, (and who knows if it was true) that they only had one of the top cost rooms available. We threw a fit pleading with my Dad to take it, he was not a happy camper and now as an adult I know why, but we stayed there two days. I laugh because I still remember the cost, $95.00 a night in 1976, which now when hubs and I go on vacation, is a bargain price we would love to find . . . The room was nothing special, but the nice restaurants on site and the ease of getting to the Park via monorail was a really great experience! We could easily go in the AM before it got to hot, spend the afternoon at the pool and then go back in the PM for all the fun. Unlike if you had to drive an hour which is what we had to do at the first place we stayed, which meant you either had to stay at the Park all day which was exhausting, or make multiple day trips at various times. Of course we were kids at an age for which Disneyland was the peak of fun. Now I would have significantly other criteria for lodging. Oh, I also remember the Contemporary rooms being quiet which was great given the hustle and bustle of the spaces outside the rooms, including a monorail zipping through the center . . . and another plus was that my parents let us go on our own to the Park since you could catch the monorail back at any time. Not sure parents would let their kids do such a thing nowdays. But it gave the 'rents a chance for some more adult r&r activities.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked l pinkmountain
  • Allison0704
    2 years ago

The monorail goes through the center of The Comtemporary at Disneyworld. (sorry to semi-hijack your thread!)

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Allison0704
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh hey, that is cool. Only been there once, stayed at the Grand Floridian which was fine.

Hijacks always welcome on my threads.

• Feathers11
    2 years ago

If given a choice, I'll choose a more pleasing decor, but it's not a priority over other criteria like location and convenience to activities. I recently stayed in Belize in accommodations that didn't even have hot water. But what it offered in location and activities made up for it.

Mtn, I agree with you about hotel service. I prefer to be asked if I'd like my bags carried to the room, so that I can politely decline. Don't need my bed turned down. And I never order room service--I don't like to eat in my room, and when I do, there are no good options for getting rid of the tray. Very early in my career when I was single, I traveled frequently and my company wouldn't reimburse for room service, so I never grew accustomed to it.

I do miss the early days of AirBnB, though. We've stayed in some fantastic places as a family. But I recently booked an AirBnB stay, and the cleaning and service fees seem more costly (covid related?) and inconsistent. And I'm not sure what qualifies one as a "Super Host." As explained by AirBnb, it still seems an arbitrary title, and perhaps deceiving when booking.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Feathers11
  • Tina Marie
    2 years ago

@Feathers11 it seems the ”fees” on both airbnb and vrbo have gone up. ?

• just_terrilynn
    2 years ago

If I am in Europe somewhere my criteria is location, cleanliness and size. Although there is just the two of us I like a two bedroom two bath as the 2nd bedroom gets all the luggage and acts as a dressing room. In my case budget is a factor so I sometimes have to sacrifice fancy decor for clean, comfortable and a larger size . The same is true for U.S travel unless it is just a quick getaway, then I want nice decor and spend more.

There was an exception to my usual when we went to Paris, my husband booked a hotel that was very trendy and modern, just how he liked. It was one tiny room with the bathroom about a foot from the bed. Horrible!!! Lets just say I was messed up for four days with the bathroom arrangement. I might as well have preformed in public. Never again.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

LOL, Jterri. Yes,the Parisians take real estate to new levels (or depths). I still can't forget the HHI episode where a young woman considered buying a studio apt that had a shared hall bath!

I must say, I thought I was spoiled opting for a Jr. Suite for the 2 of us even if we are all alone, but I applaud you for taking it to a new level! You are my hotel hero.

• chinacatpeekin
    2 years ago

The first time I stayed at an Airbnb it was in Paris at Christmastime, in an incredibly beautiful modern loft apartment in an old factory building that turned out to be owned by a stylist (now editor-in-chief) for Marie-Claire Idees. It was like living in the pages of a design magazine. That was quite a memorable experience; she and her family were very friendly and we kept in touch for a few years after that.
    I’ve enjoyed staying at various Airbnbs in Paris and enjoy staying in different neighborhoods. In Europe, I definitely look for a rental with local flavor, in a hip location. I do prefer Airbnbs whenever staying in any one place for more than two nights.
    One NYC hotel I’ve loved is The Marleton in Greenwich Village. In London, traveling solo, I twice stayed in modern and well-priced hotels where the room was not much larger than the bed. Worked for me!
    I go to the North Shore of Kauai regularly and always stay at a vacation rental house, and there it’s ALL about proximity to Tunnels Beach. As long as it’s clean I’m happy.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked chinacatpeekin
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    last year

I don't really care about hotel decor at all, although I appreciate a pretty, cozy/charming, clean, and quiet room. I do not like staying at big hotels like the George V or the Ritz in Paris. I prefer small hotels in interesting neighborhoods. Very little time is spent in the room in my case and when I am sleeping, it makes no difference. The last few trips have been spent in gites for 1-2 weeks at a time and then another gite for another 1-2 weeks. We spend one to two nights in Paris coming and one the night before leaving.

• Kswl
    last year
    last modified: last year

1. Location

2. Cleanliness and amenities

3. Price

My sensibilities are not offended by a few days in an ugly environment, and I would stay at a less expensive hotel to get a suite over a room in a prettier one. As a mom who traveled extensively for years with kids who competed both stateside and internationally (one in Irish dance and the other who played Go), we’ve stayed in our share of spartan hotels.

Even now I am not on the AirBNB train as I prefer a good enough hotel with a decent restaurant that has room service.

• palimpsest
    last year

I don't like staying at hotels with terrible lighting.

We usually shop for a combination of price point and appearance. My income doesn't really support staying at the St. Regis or anything special like that. I don't need amenities for two days that I don't even have at home, that's not important to me at all.

But sometimes these newer, small roomed trending hotels have really harsh LED lighting (that one person I could think of would really love) and it creates a harsh spot-lighted appearance throughout the whole room.

We stayed in a hotel when the floors were being refinished and it had to be someplace where we could take the cat. We didn't leave the cat alone and we alternated who was stuck inside with the cat, and when I was in the room I laid on the bed for hours in the dark watching Law and Order SVU.

I thought "This is what it's like to be kept in a safe house for witness protection".

mtnrdredux_gw thanked palimpsest
  • Irish2
    last year

Defiinetly is a factor for me but not as much for DH…perhaps because of his colorblindness.

That first photo would be a definite NO.

• DawnInCal
    last year

When traveling, we spend most of our time out and about seeing the sights and sampling the local food/drink,. Because we don't spend much time in the room, we don't care about the decor except that we want a comfortable bed, nice sheets and fluffy towels.

What we do care about is location, cleanliness, everything in the room being in good working order and price. When staying in a place long term, such as winter escapes to Bangkok, we rent an apartment or airbnb as that makes us feel more at home, allows us to cook some of our meals (eating every meal out eventually gets old) and the price is often less than a long term hotel stay. Again, location, cleanliness and price are the main factors in booking a place.

• jsk
    last year

I find it interesting that so many people prefer an airbnb over hotel for vacation. We go to Cape Cod for a week in the summer and we do rent a house there. But that's because we bring the whole family (college age son, daughter, her hubby, their 2 small kids, and sometimes inlaws). Hotel rooms for everyone would be out of the budget.

But when it's just hubby and I vacationing, I want a hotel/resort with amenities. I don't want to make my bed, or clean the bathroom, and certainly don't want to cook/cleanup. I want to act like the princess I was meant to be ;-)

Decor does matter but I wouldn't rule out a hotel/resort in a good location with great service and amenities solely based on decor. For example, our favorite place in Mexico is an all inclusive resort with a beautiful beach, amazing service, great drinks, decent enough food and it's small and quiet (no pool games, no beach games, no loud groups). The rooms are definitely dated, but they're clean and large and offer wonderful views of the beach and gulf. I wouldn't mind if they updated the decor of the rooms, but I worry they will then raise the prices! It's always a trade off, I guess.

• sochi
    last year

I’ve ruled out places based on decor for sure. I like airbnbs for the same reason you do mtn, to see how they’ve put the space together, materials they use, etc. I’m forever looking for inspiration.

I’m in Costa Rica right now with my daughter, we’re doing mostly Airbnbs, some hotels. We stayed at one well reviewed hotel that I hated - it was so poorly designed. I found it depressing. Thankfully we were just passing through and only stayed for one night. My daughter thought I was too picky and critical. If you’re ever looking for a hotel in Manuel Antonio in Costa Rica, I can tell you which hotel to avoid.

Also agree about hotel lighting.

Airbnb Im staying at now. Took this shot as these orchid plants could make for a great green screen between spaces or for defining spaces. I’m learning about biophilic tropical design these days.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH