SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
allison_schuetzler

2021/22 side by side W/D units research to buy (new)

Hi, brand new here and no idea how these threads work exactly; so pardon any mistakes in posting.
I owned a house in my home state (AK) for a good 10+ years before relocating to northern Idaho (stuck in an apartment since 2019). I got an oversized w/d set with our ak house that I loved. They were whirlpool I think and oversized so I could do our bedding. Older to around 2009/2010 models maybe and I doubt H. E. styles... I really want to go into our next home (moving again but to west Texas as ID housing has more than tripled since 2019 etc.) to purchase similar machines but I have never had to buy new ones yet. I do not like energy efficient water saving types as they seem to use too little water and run time to properly clean the clothes... As well as require far more effort to avoid mold growth within the machine parts due to airing and other problems maybe with drainage. Repairmen swear they're the worst. I'm EXTREMELY allergic to mildew and molds so that also concerns me as my siblings have had H. E. machines that caused enough mildew in wash cycles dispersing it again onto their clothes, bedding and such that they were having reactions to their clothes freshly washed and dried even! I loathe the laundromat quarter lifestyle and dream of w/d at home again but don't know what is realistic in today's market.
All I have in mind is a few factors-
New
Side by side W/D (don't know which side for which unit yet as not in the house in Texas and still in ID 2 more weeks)
Larger capacity for bedding loads and towels would be preferred and I think there's room for such units in new house to be haha
Praying I can go with none h.e. /energy and water saving ones to avoid the issues with mold or poor wash quality each load that h.e. machines have no matter the brand or price. Do they even make normal units anymore? Not very efficient if you have to re-wash and dry every load x-number of times to finally get clean and dry properly the way one cycle would in our old 'wasteful' machines.*eye roll, yes?*
I am fairly certain I'm not alone in this research to purchase frustration haha but wasn't sure if there were any new enough threads on this topic to join in on. Latest I could discover on Houzz was from 2015.... When people really seemed to just be familiar enough with their newer h.e. ones to be upset lol
Anyone with new enough units that has advice for someone shopping today?
If I could afford speedqueens I would 100% jump at it but I think those are more expensive and hard to come by unfortunately.
We will be shopping in or near Abilene, Texas once in our new to us house... And so I'm assuming probably buying from a home Depot or Lowe's... Whatever shops are there for such purchases.

Comments (42)