SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denkyem

Hide sump pump in Ikea Sektion cabinet

denkyem
2 years ago

I'm undertaking a major basement renovation, and need to decide where to locate the new sump pit. Unfortunately our utility room is not well suited, as it is located in the middle of the house far from where the sump will drain to.

The two best options right now are

-in a storage room, but the location will be awkward given the heavy duty storage shelving we intend to install along the walls

-at the front of our house, hidden under a wall of cabinets, which we intend to be Ikea Sektion.

Our Ikea cabs will be installed by someone who's quite good at Ikea hacks. To hide our sump, I'd imagine we'd have to cut a big hole in the middle of the cabinet bottom (or maybe cut out the bottom altogether and replace it with rails, leaving an open space in the middle?) and then have some kind of panel which sits on top of it to hide the sump so we can still use some of the cabinet for storage, and so our kids don't mess with the sump.

I'm wondering if there's a way this can work structurally with a Sektion, and if there are practical concerns around accessing/servicing a sump pit which would make this a bad idea. I've never actually *seen* a sump pit so I'm not entirely sure what I'm talking about here.

Thanks!

Comments (16)