SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andersons21

first impressions of the new Sektion kitchens

andersons21
9 years ago

I went to my local Ikea to see the new Sektion kitchens in person. I didn't have much time, because of my toddler who NEEDS his early nap, so I just have a few impressions and no pics (yet).

First, I feel the overall fit and finish are better than the previous Akurum line. If I recall correctly, the Akurum kitchens had fairly large gaps between doors, through which you could see the frame of the cabinet. The toekicks and end panels also frequently had gaps. With the new Sektion kitchens, however, I didn't notice any gaps. The end panels and toekicks just looked much better to my eye.

The appliances fit in beautifully too. Refrigerators are a big improvement, with counter-depth and French door models now available. The CDs have only the door sticking out past the cabinetry panels. (Sadly, here in the US we don't get those sleek paneled, integrated ones that they have oh so cheap in the UK.)

A lot of kitchens in the new brochure show a fairly large filler strip with a wall oven installed in base cabinet beneath a cooktop, but in the showroom they had an oven under a cooktop that fit perfectly with no filler strips. Also, the brochure similarly shows a large filler under the apron sink, but in the showroom they had the apron sinks with no filler strips beneath.

When they did use filler strips, say a few inches above a refrigerator or built-in microwave, it looks to me like they cut down a piece of a door so that the filler isn't plain but has the profile of the door showing. I didn't have time to ask them about this. I am guessing they don't do this in their normal kitchen designs, but just to elevate the look in the showroom. (?)

As expected, the drawers and fittings for the base cabinets are awesome. The drawers and door hinges feel very solid and strong. They had some deep drawers loaded with pots and pans, including heavy cast-iron ones. I really like the narrow drawers hidden at the top behind a bigger drawer front. The clear sides of the drawers and dividers feel solid and sturdy. The drawer fittings are awesome -- divided utensil and flatware holders, knife blocks, spice bottle holders, etc.

I don't remember if they had the corner pullout option in the old Akurum (I don't think so?), but it is a nice option in Sektion, and at $128 I believe it is a fraction of the price of Hafele options.

The trash options are MUCH IMPROVED over Akurum. Akurum had tiny, tiny trash cans that I would probably fill more than once a day. They have a LOT of size options that can be mixed and matched in Sektion, right on up to some huge 14-gal cans. One undersink cabinet had a drawer pullout with 2 large trash cans on the right, shorter plastic bins on the left, and a towel pullout above the shorter bins, using all the space under the sink.

Most of the kitchens I looked at had a narrow, tall cabinet installed beside the refrigerator, with 3 drawers on the bottom and one large door on the top. Here, they also installed 2 pullout drawers in the lower area behind the door. These pullouts are white with fairly tall front, maybe 6", so you can't see what's in them. Also, they can't install the pullouts at the very bottom of the frame, because the fairly large door hinge is in the way. So, at the bottom is a narrow deep space that is hard to see or access, despite being in a waist-height ergonomically-perfect place. One unit, however, mitigated the wasted space with a couple of deep trays you could pull out.

I didn't spend much time looking at upper cabinets, since they don't have so many neat organizational features. They did install some high drawers on the bottom of upper cabs, just to show you can do this, I guess, because high drawers are hard to see and reach into. The glass-front doors with glass shelves are nicely lit, but they have the same visible corner reinforcement at the top as Akurum. They now have little plugs to fill the unused shelf pin holes. I guess this looks a bit better than unfilled holes.

I measured the rails/stiles of a few of the doors:
Bjorket Shaker door (natural birch): 2-1/8"
Grmislov: 3-5/8"
Filipstad raised panel: 2-1/2"
Edserum: about 3"

I guess Ikea just refuses to make a Shaker door with traditional sized rails and stiles (2-3/8"). Bjorket is the closest since the sadly departed beautiful Tidalholm oak doors.

One white kitchen, Bodbyn, had goldtone hardware with a beautiful color and finish. I have a house full of the hateful overly-shiny, overly-gold stuff from the 90's, but this is a bit matte and a cooler shade of gold, very nice.

One of the kitchens had lower open cabs with stainless-rod open shelving. I didn't remember seeing this in the brochure, but it looks very cool. The freestanding islands with butcher-block tops are probably not new, but they are very nice.

As I looked at all these things and scribbled a few notes, my 2-year-old boy waited with his Ikea Shopping List and little pencil in hand ("writing memories, Mama" like Piglet). I had let him watch a Daniel Tiger episode about waiting before we left, so he also kept saying to everyone who went by, "Waiting is so hard!" :-)

Comments (15)