SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_895293619

Help needed from house renovation experts

James Kim
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

hello.

about a year ago, we bought our first house, a flipped house in San Jose, CA. I was a little hesitantnbecause it was a flipped house. but after hearing from my agent saying that they did the great job flipping and us being in the market for almost a year watching the house price soaring, we made an offer and won. The house appeared to be in good shape at first, but then things started to fall apart after we moved in. after a year, there's a crack everywhere (including ceiling, wall, bathroom, window frame), our flat roof leaked staining the ceiling through the cracks and the roofer won't even attempt to fix it and suggested me to work with the contractor to re-roof the house. the house has no wall insulation, except above the flat roof ceiling.

anyway, I am trying to figure out whether the house is worth to do an extensive renovation or not rather than fixing a problem after another problem...

my question is...

how do you assess whether your house has "good bone" to accomodate extensive renovation such as

1. raising the ceiling height (by 2ft) and reframe the roof to go from a flat roof to a pitched roof.

2. addition of one master suite

3. new drywall, and other typical remodeling stuffs.

it looks like my house was built in 50s and it's mid-century ranch style house with a pier-and-beam foundation with a low-pitch tar-and-gravel roof. The house was orginally built to be ~1200sqft with a ceiling height of 7'11" and the previous owner added extra 600sqft in 1960 with a flat roof (ceiling height ~6'10"). most cracks are located in the added part of the house with the flat roof.

i worry about the house having a "bad bone" and end up spending a lot more money after the renovation starts because of things like "the foundation needs to be reinforced" or something like that and end up costing more than just building a new house.

the inspection report did suggest that there's a crack in the foundation and the flipper did fix the crack before selling to me. maybe this is the sign of house having a bad bone? i don't know...

so I want to find out how i can assess or who can assess if the house has a "good bone" or not.

i am sorry if the question doesn't make sense. being a foriegn national, i've never lived in a western style house, so everything is really new to me.

sincerely,

Comments (19)