SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emiliaonice

Walk in closet in octagonal shaped space with 3 windows?

emiliaonice
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Greetings! Living with a family of 7, space is at a premium!

That being said, I am considering creating a walk in closet for my primary bedroom, in a Victorian home in a hot, humid climate. Because we are also in the process of reconfiguring the space to install a washer and dryer on our second floor, we thought we would take the opportunity to consider building a closet during the renovation.

Allotted space: The only spot that may work for this has 3 large bay windows and the architect has proposed an octagonal shaped room.

Closet for our Needs:

Me: I have minimal clothing, about 16 pairs of shoes. Pants: 8, Dresses: 14, Skirts: 10, Business jackets: 10, winter jacket: 1

Bags/Purses: 8

Husband: Shoes: 4 , Dress shirts: 12, Scrubs : 40 sets (we keep in drawers), Sweaters: 8, Jackets: 2

Floor to Ceiling Height: 14 feet

Concerns: I prefer closed storage, also need to protect from the sun, open to putting in privacy glass and window treatments.

Investment:

Per Pinterest, an octagonal shape can be pulled off elegantly enough, but I am also slightly terrified at the prospect. The architect says I need to get a closet builder or closet organizer vendor to bid it out for me, but before I go forward, I wanted to ask if the dimensions seem reasonable and if I should move forward with the allotted layout.

Questions:

Yay or nay for octagonal walk in closet?

Other suggestions?

Alternative: Tear out existing small bathroom (does not currently have tub), and move closet to where bathroom is currently, then create new master bath by encroaching on hallway space or kid bedroom.

Comments (5)