SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suru11

Window in a Walk In Closet

Suru
7 years ago

Has anyone put a window in their master walk-in closet? I'm fine tuning my plans and I'm on the fence about this. I was touring some model homes today and every bedroom had a walk-in closet with a window. The window seemed to take up a lot of hanging space, but the light was wonderful. I wondered about sunlight fading the clothes, but then again, with the low-e windows we have nowadays, I don't know if that would be an issue. Any thoughts?

Comments (30)

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago

Have a good overhead light. Putting in a window isn't going to impact re-sale as much as the expense of putting in that window.

Suru thanked artemis_ma
  • Related Discussions

Who has a front window into your master walk-in closet?

Q

Comments (16)
    We have a window in our master closet that faces the front. I don't know if you would consider it a major window but it is the similar in size to the other windows facing the street. Like most of other poster's weighing in, I like having access to natural light in my closet. I do keep the blinds closed most of the time, however. I keep a luggage rack under my window for ease of packing and unpacking since both DH and I travel for work but I like the idea of a small bench under the window...especially if it could do double duty as a storage chest.
    ...See More

White Paint Color for North Facing Room

Q

Comments (19)
    Thanks Ackcx3! Thank you so much, Nosoccermom! The rug is from rugsusa.com https://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-tribal-medallion/Rust/200KHMC04A-P.html It's an amazing rug! I'm so impressed with the quality for how cheap it was. It's not super thick but feels very nice on the feet, the colors are gorgeous, and the fringe adds a nice touch. It's wallpaper https://www.grahambrown.com/us/geo-cream-and-gold-wallpaper/103003-master.html#start=22&cgid=geometric I've stenciled a few times and would not have had the patience to do a full wall!!
    ...See More

Windows in a Closet?

Q

Comments (9)
    Natural light from skylights or windows is a plus, but beware the fading that sunlight can produce. So, avoid clothes in direct sunlight & consider UV protection on windows. Sunlight can also make a closet warm,so good ventilation needed. Consider how to keep privacy when dressing with windows as well. Windows also eat storage space that could be used for hanging. I've been a closet designer for 10+ years. I have re-designed closets to move clothes out of direct sunlight. I have seen faded clothes in closets & clients asked to re-deign closet because of window light fading. Of course, curtains can help & open when in use. Windows can be nice in a closet when placed fuctionally well. Consider how the house is placed to sunset to sunrise & if direct sunlight may be an issue.
    ...See More

Lighting in walk in closet without windows

Q

Comments (1)
    Recessed and possibly solar tube.
    ...See More
  • doc5md
    7 years ago

I have one in my master closet. We have a UV screen over it to prevent fading of clothes. It was in the room when I bought the house. Were I designing one today, I don't think I'd put in a window.

Suru thanked doc5md
  • lookintomyeyes83
    7 years ago

I'd leave out the window for the same reasons above.

Suru thanked lookintomyeyes83
  • Katie S.
    7 years ago

I am putting a full sized window in mine. There will be a table for packing suitcases, with shoes stored beneath. I like to have a window wherever I can.

Very little time is spent in hallways, yet they are much nicer with the addition of natural light. I understand, however, that a closet's primary function is for storage and a window detracts from that function.

If you don't want to lose the hanging space, a transom above a rod might be nice.

Suru thanked Katie S.
  • rmverb
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We dealt with this same issue when designing our house. Our master closet is rather large and we had to put a bank of high Windows in to maintain some symmetry in the front elevation. It's just the way our plan worked out. Since the windows are up high, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. We asked for the UV coating on the Windows and will probably install some shades to keep the sun from beating in there all day.

Suru thanked rmverb
  • mrspete
    7 years ago

I would do it only if it were necessary to match windows on the exterior.

If I did, I'd put up thick, black-out curtains to prevent fading of clothing, which would negate the purpose of the window.

Suru thanked mrspete
  • just_janni
    7 years ago

I am going to technically use bedroom #4 as a closet in my build. (seems silly, but because of our "look" - we have very little built in storage.)

Anyhow - it will have full windows. I also will have a table with drawers for folding and packing suitcases, and will want to be able to see items in natural light / get the right color. Additionally, I am putting all the clothes into a storage system that will put it behind doors - so you won't see all the hanging items when you walk in - but will see 2 rows of wardrobes and then a center wardrobe and folding area.

I think light would make putting things away nicer, picking out matching things easier (no blue / black issues...) but understand the concerns about the fading and the space.

Suru thanked just_janni
  • Suru
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for all the great responses. Jannicone, your closet sounds like it's going to be wonderful with the cabinets - I want to look into that. It's seems like it's 50/50 on putting in the window and everyone has such valid points - ohhhh decisions, decisions!

• ILoveRed
    7 years ago

Small windows in each of our master walk in closets. DH was tired of dark closets. And we didn't necessarily want a room where that part of the exterior was, since we will be close to our neighbors....so the closets made sense with the windows.

Suru thanked ILoveRed
  • mojomom
    7 years ago

We are putting a high 3' x3' window on one end. I want the light and we can have blinds to close when not in use to prevent too much fading.

Suru thanked mojomom
  • homepro01
    7 years ago

My master closet is our tornado shelter. It has no windows and is large enough for six people to be in comfortably. I have a ranch style home so could always add a skylight or something but never felt the need. I am in the closet for maybe 5minutes a day at most. 30 minutes once a week to out up clothes.

Good luck!

Suru thanked homepro01
  • worthy
    7 years ago

A home nearby has a large walk-in closet with a window. My daughter often notices a teen girl changing her clothes there. (I keep my eyes on the barbecue.)

Suru thanked worthy
  • french toast
    7 years ago

Ours is getting built with a window, both for exterior look purposes and for the added light. I think I'm going to put a sheer curtain over it. I am obsessed with clothes and think it will be very useful to see how things look in real light. Im not really concerned about fading. By the time they faded, I think they'd be out of style. :)

Suru thanked french toast
  • lakeviewgirl
    7 years ago

We have a window in our closet too. I love it since it brings natural light, but not too much light, it perfect. It gives the closet more of a dressing room feel. Also note that if it is a fairly large close then having a window there means it can be used for other purpose such as office or nursery (depending on the house plan). I know someone who used their closet (with window) as an office.

Suru thanked lakeviewgirl
  • lilacinjust
    7 years ago

I don't like windows in closets for the reasons mentioned. Unless it's UV, you really can't keep it open all the time and when it's open, people can see in at night and get a gander at you and your clothing.

We have one in the front of the house, and I hate having to keep the blinds nearly shut all the time.

Suru thanked lilacinjust
  • just_janni
    7 years ago

Transoms or clerestory windows can do wonders for adding natural light without some of the concerns about fading in direct sunlight or the "gawker" issue.

Suru thanked just_janni
  • knightzerox90
    7 years ago

I would strongly suggest natural light in your master if you like the openness it brings. For me, natural light is important and if it works with your plan, worth doing. I have a large master closet and added two 4x4 skylights and transom Windows. UV Windows and caninets with uv coated glass doors can help any fading issues

Suru thanked knightzerox90
  • chispa
    7 years ago

We bought an existing house and I connectd a small "nursery" to the master bedroom and turned it into my walk-in closet. This small room came with a large triple window placed up high. I have a duette opaque shade on the windows and it remains closed all the time, which is too bad as I have great distant views from those windows! The light, even through the shades, has faded some of my less used dark clothing. Unfortunately the windows face south and get lots of strong sun in my So. CA climate. They would have been great if this room faced north.

Suru thanked chispa
  • Lavender Lass
    7 years ago

I would love to have a walk-in closet with a window! But, I'd want the window on the north side, and higher up...like you see in old houses. Maybe have shelves under it or built-in cabinets.

Sometimes, it's nice to be able to see something without having to turn on the light. And if needed, you could crack the window (I'd have a screen) and get some fresh air into the closet.

That would be nice...but then, we live in the country. The air smells so good in the evening, especially in the summer.

Suru thanked Lavender Lass
  • Angela Zuill
    7 years ago

We have a south-facing window in our master closet. Pretty sure it was included by the architect primarily to maintain exterior symmetry- but I do love the natural light in there! We've been here nearly two years and I haven't noticed any fading issues. I do have a Roman shade that stays raised at about the halfway point all the time. I don't dress/undress in my closet (never have, even in my last windowless closet) so privacy doesn't concern me. Love my window!

Suru thanked Angela Zuill
  • Suru
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you again for everyone's advice. I think I'm going to put the window in. First, I hate the dark, dark, closet I have now. Second the window is going to be on the back of the house facing the uphill slope of the lot with no one behind us. And finally, my husband, who is a retired glazing contractor, just told me he can get a 2'x3' dual glazed low-e window for less than a $100.00. Then he said "Come to think of it, I just might have one laying around the shop", so I figured why not. Let the sunshine in :-)

• Sandplum1
    7 years ago

I lived in a lovely older home that had a walk in closet with heart pine shelving and drawers on the left side and long hanging rods on both sides. On the wall opposite the closet door was a diamond shaped window with beveled edges that was about head high (5-6', allowing light in, but allowing privacy.) The window was on the east side of the house, which meant you could see what was in your closet in the morning without turning on the light. I loved that closet and that house!

Suru thanked Sandplum1
  • hurttholler
    7 years ago

We actually have two full windows in our closet. We turned one of the bedrooms into a walk-in closet and had to keep the windows for exterior symmetry. It definitely cut down on hanging space but we still have plenty of room. I didn't know what to think about windows in a closet when we were designing the house, but we love them. We also get ready and my wife does her make-up in the closet. Our house is very secluded so we don't have to worry about curtains or blinds, and we have a nice wooded view to look at while we get ready. I also like the ability to open the windows and air out the closet on a cool windy day.

Suru thanked hurttholler
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    7 years ago

I try to design windows in as many rooms as possible. Natural light is good for you. Watching barbecues is good too.

I once designed a window in a bathroom on the second floor of a hospital. I did it thinking someone would catch it and change it. It got built with the window as I designed it. You could sit there in the bathroom and watch cars parking outside.

Suru thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    7 years ago

I once designed a large picture window in a master bathroom shower, by request of the owner so she could have the beautiful view of the river while showering. I can only imagine that the view out is equally beautiful as the view in.

Suru thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • Sunnysmom
    7 years ago

We are getting ready to build and we put one in so the exterior windows would be balanced on each side. I didn't like it at first, then when I was trying to figure out furniture placement for my favorite pieces I realized I had the perfect piece to go in front of it.

My grandmother in law's little book case will fit there! , It is about 4' high with glass front doors. It will be awesome to put some of my nicer purses on one shelf, maybe even some pretty shoes that I seldom wear on the bottom shelf. Favorite personal pictures in pretty frames.. oh, and I realized I could check the weather in the morning also.

Suru thanked Sunnysmom
  • Pinebaron
    7 years ago

To somewhat maintain symmetry in front facing windows in the new home design, there will be a matching faux window on exterior of the front facing WIC. I had to think about symmetry issue before the faux window idea came to mind.

Suru thanked Pinebaron
  • rmverb
    7 years ago

I took this photo of our master closet. The window sits pretty high and I think it will bring some nice light into the area. We got a UV coating on these windows to prevent our clothes from fading.

Suru thanked rmverb
  • C Marlin
    7 years ago

I'm building the master closet with a window, natural light is nice.

Suru thanked C Marlin