SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stokes21

Love/Hate my Fireplace!

D M
2 years ago

I bought all the supplies to whitewash this. Wire brushed it, started cleaning it etc. And yet I still can’t pull the plug on painting it. There are times I hate it and other times where I think it’s okay and I don’t want to ruin it.

My issues:

1. The mantle, regardless, is absolutely horrendous and needs to go. I do wonder if I replace that first, if it might move me more towards the “love” camp?
  2. The “spotted” look to the stone bugs me.
  3. The colour. Which is SO HARD to accurately portray in any pictures!

I love the stone in general. We just moved in end of November so none of what it initially looked like, was our doing. Took off those hideous black tiles because I couldn’t stand them anymore! Wire brushed it, and started cleaning it because it obviously wasn’t taken care of. Still have more scrubbing to do! I WILL get a new faceplate in the future but honestly, it’s not top priority at the moment. I have other rooms in need of much love. (Let’s not talk about the horrible pain job done on it either haha!) We haven’t decided yet on stone or concrete slab to replace where the tiles were. Honestly not concerned about that at the moment.

First Pic - Original, as we purchased it
Second Picture - Night look
Third Picture - In daylight with new paint on the walls. Though I must mention, the colour of the stone is somewhere between what’s seen in this photo and the night photo.

I don’t know what exactly I’m looking for here. What would you do with it, if anything? I live in a 1970’s colonial. While I gravitated more towards “modern farmhouse” decor here, I’ve decided I don’t actually love it, I just tried to convince myself that I did! Hoping to be able to keep the wall the same colour as I JUST painted it, but moving towards more rustic decor. If any of all that matters in regards to the fireplace!

Comments (80)