SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sochi

Stone veneer fireplace - love them, hate them, indifferent?

sochi
12 years ago

Hi there - one of the last projects in a renovation to my main floor is my fireplace. The pre-existing fireplace unfortunately had to be ripped out during the reno due to the discovery of an earlier fire behind the wall and a not to code gas hook up (argh!).

We are going with a modest sized nearly square, simple black ethanol fireplace. My fireplace backdrop is currently just drywall, it sticks out about 4 or 5", is 4' 9" wide and almost 10' high.

We first thought to clad the fireplace wall in stone veneer - our home is essentially modern in style, with a bit of nod towards MCM. Stone veneer seemed appropriate, but I dismissed it early on simply because I'm seeing it everywhere - restaurants, airport lounges, office bldgs - that turns me off a bit. It seems so overdone right now that I fear it will not "age" well. I've considered various tiles, but DH in particular keeps coming back to the stone veneer.

How do you lot feel about stone veneer fireplaces? Or stone veneer generally? Am I silly to reject it because it is too ubiquitous?

Here are a few pictures of stone veneer fireplaces I like, plus one steel tile fp that I really love ...

modern living room design by san francisco architect Mark English Architects, AIA

contemporary living room design by vancouver interior designer C Design Co.

contemporary living room design by san francisco architect Mark English Architects, AIA

modern living room design by san francisco architect Cary Bernstein Architect

Comments (43)