SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bayhome2000

Size of 8 Rhododendron plants - NorCal Zone 9b

T Y
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I am new to Rhododendron planting so I studied many sources with good database, e.g. ARS, local chapters, Gardenia, Singing Tree Nurseries etc. etc. I found there are lots of inconsistencies of plant size, i.e. same plant may be listed as different sizes cross different websites for their 10yr and mature size. Of course, I understand the sun/temp/soil/other environmental conditions play a big role on a specific plant's growth, but I suppose the database like ARS would provide an impression of plant sizes relative to each other, indicative of the plant's nature.

Here is a list of plants I recently bought from a nursery:

1. Catawbiense Boursault
  2. Anna Rose Whitney (disease prone?)
  3. Roseum Elegans
  4. Honourable Jean Marie de Montague
  5. Christmas Cheer
  6. Edith Bosley
  7. Anah Kruschke
  8. GoldFlimmer variegated

These are all "big" type. Out of these 8, assuming the same growth condition, which ones are comparatively smaller, and which ones that have a growth habit of width > height? Are they disease resistant in zone 9b?

- 1st application is to put one plant outside of a southeast facing window w/ 5-6' max height

- 2nd application is to put one plant outside of a northeast facing window w/ 7-8' max height (ground is lower on that side)

- 3rd application to put 3-4 plants next to a Northwest facing fence with some shade from big trees. The purpose is to eventually provide a prettier coverage than a plain fence, so I would prefer the ones that can spread and grow to 7-8' or even taller. I will plant them 8-10' apart. Since this Northwest facing fence will get less sun exposure, I guess they will grow slower?

Would appreciate expert's help!

Comment