SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

tale of two layering attempts

davidrt28 (zone 7)
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Colquhounia coccinea is probably barely hardy for me, but still didn't quite deserve a prized position on my limited south wall space. The first couple years of blooming were so underwhelming I was ready to deaccession it, but this year it made enough of a show to decide to keep one somewhere in the garden. It's more sensible to just put it on a (still extra warm) south slope and keep a backup plant in a pot for the next "polar vortex" winter. (hopefully not this one!)

Alas it had been there on a raised bed for a few years and I didn't think moving it was feasible anymore. Had to be layered. So I stuck 2 branches in pots back in early August. I used a technique where I stripped a bit of the bark on the branchlets and tied a tiny pea sized wad of cotton-ball-cotton around one end. Then added a few pure drops of dip n grow. This creates a concentration gradient of rooting hormone along the stem.

Before the first hard freeze in mid-November I severed them from the mothership and moved them into my garage/greenhouse. Well as you can see it's good I did two, because one worked, and another didn't. It immediately withered after being cut. The other one on the right is still going strong. I am almost certain that little flower spike definitely appeared after the layering...maybe in response to the rooting hormone?

The surrounding plants are from my last ever order from Joy Creek.

Comment

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting