SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaidog_gw

A Tale of Two Tomato Plants

jaidog
10 years ago

I have two garden plots, plot A and plot B. The two plots are adjacent to each other and receive equal amounts of sunlight and rainfall. I weeded and then tilled compost into Plot A three years ago. I built up Plot B using the lasagne gardening method by piling on coffee grounds, leaves, and grass clippings atop a bed of cardboard. Every fall, I add leaves to the top of both plots which act as a mulch the following spring and then decompose.

In past years, tomato plants in both plots have grown equally well. On May 15th of this year, I planted tomatoes in both plots. I added epson salt, bone meal, tomato tone, and fish to each hole prior to planting. I planted several identical plants from the same nursery in each plot. All of the plants in Plot A are doing well. All of the plants in Plot B have yellow, wilted leaves, with many lower stems ready to fall off. I'm trying to determine why my tomato plants in Plot B are in such bad shape.

Since I planted the tomatoes, the weather turned from warm (low of 60) to cool (low of 45) to warm again. We also have had a LOT of rain since May 15th. Of course, both plots experienced these temperature swings and rain. As stated earlier, the additives in each planting hole were identical, as well. This leads me to believe the soil in Plot B is causing the problem. Could this be true? I would like to replace the dying plants, but don't want to do so if the new ones will also die.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths