SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
igloochic

a tale of two basement floors...please finish it?

igloochic
15 years ago

forgive the bad typing please...one arm is in a cast...

and please share your experiences/ideas for two lovely basement spaces i'm working on...very different, but both have floor delimas.

first is our home, which is being remodled. our "basement" is really the first level of a five level townhome. half of the space has floor to ceiling windows. it's on pilings (on the edge of a lake) so the floor is "soft" as opposed to a cement foundation. i have a two year old and a new baby will be joining us in a year or so.

i had thought to put in a high quality (karistan) carpet in this basement because i thought the kids would like it for crawling about on the floor, but as ds frows, i see that many of his toys like train sets and cars would do better on a floor. i could then add nice fluffy carpets in the winter (the floor gets a bit chilly due to the pilings). we have hardwoods throughout the rest of the house. this room is the primary family room, used for tv and play. there is also a bedroom on this floor that would have the same surfaces. cost and resale is not an issue, so given an open budget, and the reasons we use the room....what do you think?

the second space is our rental. don't put the normal "its a rental" shade over your brain...this is a high cost rental and there is no risk of damage not being paid back by renters (oil companies guarantee it).

the space will be a gentlemens lounge tye space with a mahogany bar, club chair, poker table, silk drapes, fireplace etc. it will primarily be an adult space. its on slab cement. i'm putting solid oak floors throughout this house as well with lots of nice rugs and carpets. i like oak for its durability so in that sense i like it for a rental. dh thought i was putting carpet in this space because of the slab floors. i didn't see that as abig issue since its not the primary living space so its not as if you're walking on hard floors while cooking and stuff. on this floor there is also a sauna, bathroom and office. it's going to be a dark man cave with ink blue walls and antique gold ceilings. i had thought to use some oriental capets we have to bring a bit of light to the floors, but really wanted to keep it a dark and cozy hideaway. so...what floors in here? Karistan in greys or oak? money is a bit of an object, but i have a reasonable budget of $10.00 sq ft for flooring which is materials only.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH