SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lonejack2

Veggie Tales - March 2018

LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

March is coming in like a lamb here in the heartland. That's not the case for many areas of the country that are suffering through the heavy rains and flooding. Looks like more rain today in many areas that don't need it. I hope that things dry out in those areas and March is better than February ended up!

Many of us will be planting our cool season crops this month. I will be planting potatoes, onions, leeks, lettuce, radishes, broccoli, and cauliflower sometime in March. I still have work to do to prep some of the beds but for the most part they are ready to go after amending them with compost last fall.

Some of my broccoli starts didn't germinate well because I let the cell packs dry out last Saturday while they were on the heat mat. I think at least 20 of the 30 will pull through OK but I started another dozen on Tuesday as backups. All 14 of the cauliflower germinated and are growing well. They were only on a heat mat for a couple days and never got dried out. Lesson learned, don't use a heat mat on brassicas or just use it for the first couple days.

I'll be starting all of my warm weather crops in March. First will be peppers on March 10, tomatoes and eggplant on March 17, and tomatillos on March 24.

Comments (543)