SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta G 2021 ........................

I took today off from work and really slept in.

On with the Gs today.

Have a great day everyone!

Comments (49)

• Saija_Finland
    2 years ago

Geisha

Gingee

Gold Standard

Golden Cha Cha

• Saija_Finland
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Golden Tiara

Gorgeous George

Gypsy Rose

Saija

• Related Discussions

Hosta A 2021 ..........

Q

Comments (58)
    STEVE!! I have been waiting for you to join up! Good to hear from your and glad to be considered part of your family as well as everyone else’s in this forum! ♥️ Now comments: Steve, love Alligator Alley—— does it only grow with the “alligator “ in the ground?? ;-) I want Amalia sooooo bad, but haven’t been able to get one yet……. Your Aquamarine and mbug’s are beautiful! Orbit/ Moon planted together look pretty good!! Oh and btw “Ayesha” is a female name…… :-D Mbug, forgot to mention how beautiful your Ambrosia is…..so soft and subtle! nhl, nice ADG……. but wow you have a lot of work ahead of you come spring in your new bed!! Sandy, if these pictures are late season, I would really have loved to see the early season ones. I love that Atlantis, everyone’s……. might have to get that one…. debra
    ...See More

Hosta D 2021 ............

Q

Comments (56)
    Debra, I know you will be fine. But it still sucks to have to go through what you do! Do what you have to do this winter so that you can have fun when the weather gets better! I can understand the loss of both parents. My father died in 2005 and my mother died in 2014. It is strange that they are not here anymore. My mother and I were close and I still miss her every day. Steve, I agree that it was so good that your dad found love again! My father-in-law did also find another love after my mother-in-law died. They didn't married. Too complicated. But they had a relationship for almost 10 years. My father-in-law passed away in 2007---and his girlfriend is turning 99 this week!
    ...See More

Hosta Noid 2021 ............

Q

Comments (32)
    Thank you for the suggestions. I am going to keep them in mind and compare during this season and take pics of blooms, etc. I would guess it's a more recent introduction. I honestly thought it would be easier to Identify because it's a little different, but oh well, I guess I don't need a name to enjoy it :) . I love the hosta variety at homestead perennials- she often has a lot of the newer introductions and it is only 10 minutes from my house. But she doesn't tend to label her plants well, which drives me a little crazy to occasionally have to rely on my knowledge or her memory for an ID. Still..... Everything I've purchased there has grown fast and is healthy, and she has a lot of stuff I can't find anywhere else without paying for shipping, plus amazingly so far she has never been wrong on an ID she has given me (that I know of).
    ...See More

Hosta Yellow 2021 ..............

Q

Comments (27)
    I have a lot of yellow. Even my conifers are yellow. I've heard most psychotics love yellow, but I don't listen to me anymore. I love the multi-hued yellows when placed in the right lighting like Frisian Pride. and Gilt by Association might be my favorite. You can really tell how the sun hits the front edge of it earlier than the rest of the plant. Golden Falls - one of hosta_maker's that should really start to pop this year. H.F. Going Green Enduring Beacon Flemish Beauty A seedling from Granny's Rouge Whew, that's the first half and I haven't even touched on the chartreuse ones.
    ...See More
  • jocl17
    2 years ago

Goodness Gracious

• jocl17
    2 years ago

Guardian Angel

• Beth - Michigan 6A
    2 years ago

Paula, great jokes, I love the I phone charger.

Ghost Spirit

Gold Regal 2 of them here, 1 was supposed to be Alex Summers

Gold Standard

Golden Meadows

Golden Tiara

Goodness Gracious

• Beth - Michigan 6A
    2 years ago

Part 2

Grand Tiara

Great Expectations

Grey Ghost - also one that comes up pretty then struggles

Guacamole

Guardian Angel

Gypsy Rose

• gardenchick2010
    2 years ago

This is my only G hosta, and it was a NOID, that was determined to likely be

GOLD STANDARD

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    2 years ago

Well, it's already well represented, but I'll show my Golden Tiara, too ...

Just emerging in May ... wearing a 'golden' tiara (you'll never guess what it lives under ...):

Fully up in June:

Blooming with its friend in July:

(It's friend is somewhat unknown but something starting with the word 'Blue,' so it would belong in the Bs if I knew what it was or were to hazard a guess ...)

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    2 years ago

Paula the Roombas cracked me up (they all did). So glad you got to take a day and sleep in!

So many beauties!

BBc There are so many but your blue could be Blue Cadet. Ring any bells?

Gemstone

Ghost Spirit still waiting to be planted.

Giantland Mouse Cheese

Gold Drop

Gold Standard sported to everything. All but the bottom left is GS.

Goober & its flowers.

Great Expectations did not meet expectations and withered to nothing

Guacamole.

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    2 years ago

Think I'll start with some Giantland Hosta.

G. Irish Mist - Not sure why it has mist in the name. Perhaps its a little misty and/or will show its stuff next year. 2 years in the ground here. I only took two crappy angled shots this year.

G. Peeps. Lovely yellow that turns green or white. Still searching for the right amount of sun for this one.

G. Skylight Bowl

G. Symmetry

When I visited Land of the Giants in 2019, I wanted to be sure to get some Giantland Hosta. Still waiting for these to strut their stuff. Perhaps I should have ponied up some more $$$ to get more desirable ones (like that G. Blue Bananas or G. Hearts On Fire). I was really tempted to order G. Aftershock last year.

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    2 years ago

The little blue one came from a garden club sale without an ID beyond being a small-mini blue hosta, but I loved it with or without an ID. It could well be 'Blue Cadet'.

Love 'Ghost Spirit' there ... so different in the pictures from peren and Beth.

Pity about the ones that have withered for people ... time to move it and get a new hosta?

2 years ago

At one of the final Wade and Gatton sales, I picked up a 3 eyed Galaxy (labeled Greentown - the all green sport of Galaxy) with only one fair looking eye of Galaxy on it. I separated the 3 eyes and grew them separately. I think it paid off as I ended up with these two plants last year (and the all green eye may be hiding in a pot somewhere).

Gemini Moon - Another W&G purchase but on my first visit. It wasn't in any greenhouse, but I asked about it and they dug one up for me. I thought it would go well with Luna Moth which was in front of it but got replaced for growing too big.

One of my favorite Gs - Gila River has some of the largest non-fragrant flowers I've seen and on a small plant. Starts yellow but quickly becomes chartreuse with a white edge. The narrow ruffled leaves are really attractive to me with that color scheme.

My other favorite G and most photographed Hosta last year. I saw it on a garden tour and picked one up ASAP. Gilt By Association. Starts out a lovely soft yellow then treads the line between yellow and chartreuse. I love the way the leaves bend over backwards showing you their white underside.

Glossy Ruffles - my first one from Hosta_Maker purchased late 2018 when Bob Solberg came to give a talk at our local Hosta Society meeting. I picked it up as an afterthought as I wanted to support anyone willing to come talk to us and I had just visited Bob's place during his annual sale so I was pretty well stocked with what he had. Got hit hard by frost last year. Pretty much just a pile of mush, but it rebounded into this later that same year!

I didn't even take a pic of it in 2020, so I know it didn't even look this good the previous year.

Golden Falls looks pretty good coming up in its first spring here.

Another good grower here in my worst location for Hosta at the top of the hill.

Can't wait to see how it looks this year (and next year ...).

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    2 years ago

BBc I can tell you that I replaced GE with Dream Queen another that could give me problems. I think there are some that do better in my colder zone and others that need a zone warmer to thrive.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

I will post pics in garenweb and then comment in houzz app……..can’t figure out how to get my pics in the app……..

my gs:

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Sorry for multiple pics of the GL hostas, one pic doesn’t do it justice….

I also have GL Peeps like Steve, but can’ find a pic of it. Will post it later if I find it.

debra

• hostalover1967
    2 years ago

Guacamole, flanked by Halcyon and El Nino

And my little friend who likes to hang out here by my back door.

George Smith (new for me in 2021)

I have a feeling this one is going to become a favorite.

Gold Standard

Golden Tiara (needs dividing!)

• hosta_maker
    2 years ago

steve

i'm glad glossy ruffles rebounded for you. it's been know to be a fairly fast grower.

looking good.

giantland blue cheese

giantland curly toes

• mbug_gw
    2 years ago

Beth....that's a great GE!!

peren...love that Gold Drop grouping!

Thanks Steve. Haven't seen a lot of those.

Debra....love the color of GL

hosta maker....anything named Curly Toes is a must have!

• mbug_gw
    2 years ago

On to the G's

Georgia Sweetheart 5-10-21

Ghost Spirit closeup

Ghost Spirit 5-5-21

Gold Drop 6-6-21

Gold Standard 6-19-21

Golden Meadows 5-21-21.....aprox. 4 years old and this is the biggest its been. Anxious to see if any one has a good one.

• mbug_gw
    2 years ago

part 2

Golden PRAYERS 2 6-21-21...one of my favorite small yellows. Holds color all season.

Goodness Gracious 7-14-21

Grand Tiara 5-7-21

Great Expectations 6-4-21....after rain

Guacamole....this is an older pic....became deer food twice. They got it once. It came back with a nice new flush, then they came back for seconds and took it to the ground.

• mbug_gw
    2 years ago

And last but not least.....

Guardian Angel closeup

Guardian Angel from above 6-25-21

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Paula, I hope you enjoyed your day off……love the phone charger joke! There are sooooo many great g hostas!

Saija, I love your Geisha and your Gold Standard is such a soft color…..

jocl17, all 3 of yours are lovely but your Guardian Angel is my fav…..

Beth, so many good ones, but your Great Expectations is stunning!!

Gchick, your Gold Standard is a beautiful light green…… does it get lighter?

BBC, nice Golden Tiara and I agree with Peren, I think that little blue could be Blue Cadet.

Peren, you always have so many good ones……my favs are Gemstone and Goober….

Steve, I didn’t know you had so many GL’s…..the GL Irish Mist looks like it has some darker green “misting” on the leaves—-reason for the name??? Love that GL Skylight Bowl and that Glossy Ruffles is really cool!

Hostalover, love your little green Guacamole with friend……George Smith I am not familiar with but it’s a good looker. Your Grand Tiara—-WOW!

Hosta_maker, GL Blue Cheese is a beauty…..is it stable???

debra

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    2 years ago

Paula..I took a screenshot of "when you want to know, but etc.." and sent it to a neighbor..the house next to hers was bought by an investment group..we don't know what's happening with it..we were on the phone..a truck pulls into the driveway of the now vacant house..my neighbor says "I'll go pick up sticks and see if I can learn anything!"..so I sent her your joke..another "disguise" for the next time she wants to snoop!..😂😂😂

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    2 years ago

Paula, it always feels great to sleep in. Zzzzz

steve, Glossy Ruffles is very pretty!

hostalover, what a cute little friend you have! I like frogs and lizards but don't seem to have any around here.

peren/Laurie and mbug, you both have the most beautiful garden spaces and such perfect looking hostas!

Gemstone

Gypsy Rose, overhead view

• hosta_maker
    2 years ago

deb

it appears g blue cheese is stable. at least the 2 years i've had it.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    2 years ago

my Gs are represented..I'll skip Gold Standard and Gold Drop..here's my Great Expectations 10-12-21..

didn't get a spring pic in 2021..

I had a patch of Golden Tiara where I wanted a path..I edged a bed with logs..see the empty area by the log near the bottom of the pic?..that's where some GTs had been moved..I finished the job this summer..now I have a wide path..the GTs are surrounded by log edging..planning for pics in 2022 in their new home..

6-19-19..

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    2 years ago

Gold Standard- I divided it up into 3. It still looks the same size. !?!

Great Expectation- looking promising. Moved it and finally doing something.

George Smith-

Gypsy Rose

Guardian Angel

Thanks for looking,

Enjoying the ABC's

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Great photos and plants everyone. Paula, a day off sounds heavenly.

• old_dirt 6a
    2 years ago

Gold Regal

Guacamole

Golden Tiara

• old_dirt 6a
    2 years ago

Gold Standard

Great Expectations - I've heard this one is slow but this is ridiculous.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Golden Medows, same plant this season

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Glory Hallelujah at beginning of season, end of season, and in flower. A perfect plant, even so young in its 2nd year for me.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Great Expectations in spring, Golden Tiara, Great Expectations in late spring, and GE in summer.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Gemstone (right), Guacamole for middle two, and Gemstone

• hosta_maker
    2 years ago

Golden falls

glossy ruffles

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

For humility’s, my Goodness Gracious this autumn, a new addition autumn 2020. I paid $35 mail order for a tiny plant. Maybe it will grow in 2022 for its 3rd season. When I saw 4-5 times the size at Green Hill for only $20 in spring, I didn’t buy it by way of self-punishment. This GG will grow for me, or else.

• gardenchick2010
    2 years ago

Gchick, your Gold Standard is a beautiful light green…… does it get lighter?

It does, yes. Here it is a couple year ago, when it was in a different spot.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

nw, I just saw your comment about your neighbor who goes out to pick up sticks…..I do the same…… I have a ton of sticks in the front yard so when something’s going on, I always have a good excuse, hahaha!

Utog, your Golden Meadows is lovely and you have captured the progression of Glory Hallelujah nicely.

Old_dirt, my Great Expectations didn’t survive 1 year, so yours looks pretty good to me…… how old is it? Your Guacamole is a beauty and your Golden Tiara is sooooo large!

Mbug, you have so many hostas……..I wonder how long you have had the hosta bug? All of them (like some other gardeners here) look so perfect that I wonder what your secret is to get them looking that way. I love them all, but I am partial to golds and your Gold Drop and Golden Prayers are just WOW!! Also, who doesn’t like guacamole?? Why shouldn’t the deer like it??? :-D

hosta_maker, gotta love wavy leaves…….especially when they are yellow or glossy! Gorgeous!

Shadow, hard to believe that Gold Standard was divided…. It must have been humongous, haha!
    George Smith is a hosta new to me and your’s is a nice one.

Everyone, thanks for sharing!

debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

P.S. Gchick, that is a beautiful shot of your Gold Standard…… every leaf perfect!
    debra

• Beth - Michigan 6A
    2 years ago

perenall I love your sporting gold standard, so bright.

Steve your G. Irish Mist is beautiful even if it doesn't have much "mist"

Debra nice Gold Standard progression pictures.

Hosta lover Cute "little friend"

mbug pretty picture of Georgia Sweetheart and Goodness Gracious.

Shadow nice Guardian Angel

UOG - Love the Guacamole in bloom shot

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    2 years ago

GUGUACAMOLE

GREEN VELVETEEN

GREAT EXPECTATIONS

GRAND MARQUIS

GOODNESS GRACIOUS

GOLDEN MEADOWS

GENTLE GIANT

GALAXY LIGHT

• old_dirt 6a
    2 years ago

djacobz568sewi, Debra, Thank you. That GE is either three or five years old. I have/had two of them and not sure which this one is. The other has dwindled to almost nothing, I don't expect it to come back next year. GT goes crazy for me as long as i give it some sunshine. I have divided it six times or more.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    2 years ago

Glad you could take a day off Paula! Sounded like you really needed to recharge yourself---and hopefully you did.

Love the joke "when you want to know but don't want to be obvious."

Saija, that Gingee is cute! Love your Gold Standard. You caught the picture at just the right time.

Jocl17, your Goodness Gracious is pretty and a very good size. Love your Guardian Angel.

Beth, I can see that you have a lot of growing space (and I am envious)! And with those garden beds, you are doing an awesome job of growing your hosta to perfection!

Gardenchick, your only G hosta is a wonderful one!

Blueberry Bundtcake, don't hesitate to post pictures of hosta already posted. I like seeing everyone's and I also like seeing young hosta too. Some hosta look so different when they are immature.

Peren.all, your Gold Drop is a winner for sure! Your Gold Standard is very interesting! And Gemstone---is a gem!

Steve it's so nice to see so many Giantland hosta. Availability is sparce here in Canada. I may just have to experience them only through you! Glad that your separation of Galaxy paid off! Gila River is pretty! I wish I was able to drive over to Bob Solberg's place and pick up some of his hosta!

Debra, Giantland Blue Banana is gorgeous! Love the color change!

Hostalover, love your little friend! Great color grouping with the Guacamole!

Hosta_maker, G. Blue Cheese is unique!

mbug, I'm struggling with Golden Meadows. Don't even have a picture of it! You have a lot of great looking hosta---GE, Guardian Angel, Golden Prayers and so on!

Sandyslopes, beautiful Gemstone and a very large Gypsy Rose. Well done!

nicholsworth, your GE is looking great especially since that picture was taken in October. I see you are working very hard on your garden! Looking forward to your pics in 2022.

Shadow, your GE looks more than promising! What a pretty Guardian Angel.

Old Dirt, your hosta are looking great. Hopefully 2022 will be the year GE puts on a growth spurt.

utog, your Golden Meadows is doing quite well! I can't believe that your Glory Hallelujah is only in its second year. It's doing great! Great to see the seasonal pictures of GE.

hosta_maker, good job on the two hosta! As I looked at Golden Falls, I said to myself that it reminded me of Niagara Falls, but a lighter colored version. When I checked with the Hosta Library, there is was---a Niagara Falls seedling!

sunnywood, gorgeous hosta! Your Golden Meadows is fantastic! Love your Grand Marquis and Goodness Gracious!

2 years ago

Ginsu Knife

Gold Standard

Goodness Gracious

Great Expectations

2 years ago

Guacamole

Guardian Angel

2 years ago

Saija - good to see some Hosta we don't usually see around here.

h_m - thanks for showing how your Hosta should look when grown well.

mbug - I've had Golden Prayers in my cart several times over the past couple years thanks to you. Somehow its always eluded me. Maybe the confusion with Little Aurora has me gun shy. Do you recall where you got yours? Always great to see your well grown Hosta.

BB - we've shown you ours, don't be shy about showing us yours (did anybody guess Forsythia?).

sunny - great to see you posting your large, well grown Hosta. Are you still growing in CO and NY?

Yes, I have some more to show. (Will it ever end?)

my first Golden Meadows bit the dust (from mail order). My 2nd one (from LotG) is doing better but quickly turned solid green the first year. Perhaps its a survival mechanism. This year it held the variegation much longer through at least the beginning of August. Love the pics of the earlier spring color. Here is mine on June 21st. No longer whiter centered, but holding that lighter green.

Goodness Gracious is such a beauty. Early purchase for me in 2017, my second year growing Hosta. Now starting to sport (into Gracious Gold?) which should also be a nice plant.

My Grand Tiara seems more yellow on the edge. It gets a good amount of sun until 1:30ish.

Fingers crossed this sport on Gravity Rocks returns this year and is fertile!

Grecian Vase blooming in lower left with Fluted Fountain on the right.

Green Marmalade has more subtle streaking early season but gets bolder yellow as the season progresses. A trait I like better than the more typical yellow to white.

Guernsey Cream - if this is the color of cream in Guernsey you can have it.

Gypsy Rose

I finally bought a Guardian Angel this year (dormant) but it came up as Blue Angel. Lucky for me the vendor (Hostas-store - thank you very much) replaced it when I mentioned it late in the season with one that still showed some variegation. I've heard you should always buy this one in person, but I think I managed to end up with a good one. We'll see in a few months.

• mbug_gw
    2 years ago

Steve.....don't remember were I got Golden Prayers. It is worth a look. Keeps its color well. Nice compact growth. Small enough to find a spot easily.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    2 years ago

Steve i have hostas in colorado but my real garden is in upstate NY.