have a great day everyone!

Comments (56)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    2 years ago

Just one, Deep Blue Sea.

tj

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Danubie Isla early and late season, and Dream Queen. I highly recommend Dream Queen, but invest in a large one; mine is 8-9 years old and finally has 2 eyes.

• Related Discussions

What are your top 3 hostas in your garden in June 2021

Q

Comments (54)
    debra..one more comment about my neighbor's bad taste and I'll stop haha.. have you EVER seen anyone hang fake ivy and plastic trellis on a fence?..I bet the answer is no..I've had fun making jokes with several neighbors who also hate the look..ok I'm done.. gardenchick..sorry for the off topic comments..viewing this ugly place in back upsets me..I'm trying hard to block the view and just enjoy my garden..
    ...See More

Hosta R 2021 ..........................

Q

Comments (41)
    I really like that Riviera Sunset. The edge has such variation in it. I'm sure I've had it in my cart before, but never pulled the trigger on it. Seems like Rainbow's End is as popular as June. Red Hot Flash Reptilian Riptide Robin Hood Rowan My Boat Roy Klehm Ruffed Up Ruffles N Ridges
    ...See More

Hosta S 2021 .........................

Q

Comments (61)
    I haven't had internet for a few days, so now is the time to catch back up. Steve, your Silver Eagle does look interesting. Shadow, I love the leaves on Sting OAK What a great picture of Sugar Plum. Love all the Spartacus pictures one of these days I should add it to my collection. Peren.all Shiny Sonata looks great late in the season. Mbug your Stags Leap is growing beautifully Sandyslopes Silk Kimono looks glowing in your picture Old dirt Surfer Girl looks very happy in it's spot Steve, I love the shape of Stingray New hosta lady your Squash Casserole looks great late in the season.
    ...See More

Hosta V 2021 .....................

Q

Comments (23)
    Those alpine Ibex, do they ever fall off? Hope not! And I can't figure what the heavy plant crossing is about. There's a lot of great looking V hostas. ....I'm liking everyone's Vulcan's. old_dirt, I always like your Valerie's Vanity. Deep color, texture, and shine! steve, six of them! I'd wake up pissed off, too, lol. That's a new car, a trip somewhere, or something really big! But since it was a dream, maybe a day without mentioning anything to do with plants. Laurie, LUV your Venetian Star. Gives mine something to aspire to. My Venetian Star is a really good grower but has never flowered.
    ...See More
  • Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    2 years ago

UTOG- I should replace my sad Dream Queen but I think I need to move it . I don't think it is happy where it is. My Dream Weaver is coming around after 10yrs. Maybe that is a thing with the dreamers......Both didn't make the Aug pic.

• mbug_gw
    2 years ago

Happy New Year everyone!!

Dancing Darling 6-6-21

Dancing Queen 5-6-21

Dark Star 6-11-21

Deane's Dream

Deep Blue Sea 7-20-21

• mbug_gw
    2 years ago

A few more.....

Deliverance 4-28-21

Devon Green 6-2-21

Diana Remembered 5-30-21

Dorset Clown seedling 8-2-20

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Paula..you're wrecking my so called "schedule" hahaha!!!..

told my husband about today's "soft" kids..we agree that we were tougher..

Diamond Lake 5-30-20..in the close up I tried to hide the ratty leaf Lol..

4-14-21..now in a burgundy pot..squirrels? chewed the tops off the pips grrr..I think that's why I have holes..

next year maybe along with Saija, peren, utog, Shadow and others to come I can post a Dancing Queen..it's on my list..

2 years ago

mbug..no surprise that you have Dancing Queen!..

looking around online yesterday Deane's Dream caught my eye..and you have that too!..

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Devon Green, Deliverance, Dark Star between fern and tree, Devil’s Advocate. Delta was damaged this year.

2 years ago

utog..testing myself..is the one with the red dot Rainforest Sunrise?..

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Deja Blu on the right, Dinky Donna, Deep Blue Sea, and a later season picture of Deja Blu, a subtle one.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

NW, that is Rainforest Sunrise!

2 years ago

utog..yay!..got one right!..I have it..I should know it Lol!..

an interesting "head" pot with the fern..don't have pots like that but I like them..

• Mosswood
    2 years ago

My Dancing Queen does not look like much in August in the very shaded location I chose (boring green), so no photo of that.

However, I do have one rarely seen 'D' hosta that I chose as a honorific to someone I miss. This is Hosta Deborah. Please don't expect too much from a one-year-old plant though - next year should be better if the rabbits leave it alone. =) First flush of leaves this year was totally eradicated in May, so this is the second, August attempt at growth.

• Beth - Michigan 6A
    2 years ago

Happy New Years Everyone! I agree lets have a great Hosta year. Paula I love the bird, looked twice.

Perenall love your Dinner Mint progression, nice to see how it changes through the season. Undertheoak Dressed to Kill is wonderful, I love the wavy leaves. TJ your Deep Blue Sea is amazing, I purchased it last year but will have to wait for it to start showing promise ( I guess that's part of the fun). Mbug your Dancing Queen and Dark Star are picture perfect.

Dancing Queen

Dark Shadows

Dark Star

Deja Blue

• Beth - Michigan 6A
    2 years ago

Part 2

Diamond Lake

Dream Weaver - Pretty but I have had this plant 6 years!

Dust Devil

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    2 years ago

BTW- I think that bird is a peelican.

tj

2 years ago

tj..very clever!..that pic should have a peelican caption!..

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Not my plants, but in the display garden at Plant Delights. Diamond Lake

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Saija, your Dance With Me is just perfect!

Peren, second year DQ looks pretty good. Mine below is third year. I love the color of Dream Boat…… the glaucous underside reminds me of Neptune.

Utog, love that Dress to Kill, love the colors and wavy leaves.

Sandy, Diana Remembered looks like Royal Wedding…… is it fragrant?

tj, only one???? But what a one!!! Good joke too!

Mbug, you have sooooo many great hostas…… I really like Deliverance and Dancing Darling…… of all the “dancings,” I think I like that one best!

Nw, Diamond Lake is on my list too….. I tried to buy it from Maple River Gardens the other day, but it was showing sold out. Maybe that will change come spring.

Utog, nice Dark Star!

Mosswood, Deborah will be lovely, give her time to grow into herself,. :-)

Beth, all of your hostas are great……how do you do it? I especially like Deja Blue and Diamond Lake.
    debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Paula, thanks for all the jokes……and thanks for remembering Betty White here. She was a very funny lady, but more importantly…..she was a great humanitarian…….she did so many wonderful things to rescue, save and adopt animals. Someone not to be forgotten.

My Ds:

I have progression photos of DQ but will save them for the progression post.

My named NOID

Another named NOID hahahaha

debra

2 years ago

debra..from where I've looked..only Maple River Gardens has Cupatini..

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Nw, your paper looks a lot like my pile of little papers. I haven’t mentioned it before, but I am once again recovering from another hip surgery…….this time a very badly torn tendon which is why it felt like I was still not recovered from the replacement last January even by fall. So what’s worse this time is I can only put 50% weight on that leg. Very hard on my shoulders and hands. So I am spending most of the time in my adjustable bed and using little leftover pieces of calendar pages maybe 4X4 to write on. Pathetic!!
    debra

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    2 years ago

Debra I was thinking of asking since I recalled you were having another surgery. I am sorry to hear that the recovery is keeping you nearly bed bound. The adjustable bed is a help but tendons are tough. Hopefully the repairing of the tendon will finally put your issues behind you and PT is helping. How long is your expected down time? The Alphabet must be a thankful distraction!

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    2 years ago

nw I am so very sorry about your father. There are no words for a loss like this. Your parents were lucky to have you girls and you were lucky to have them. The fact that they both lived long and happy lives is of little comfort at the time of loss but I recall you speaking lovingly of them. After a while only the good memories remain. Thank goodness for our gardening obsession, it truly is healing. I send hugs your way.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

nw, what a beautiful last day with your dad…thinking of you

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

Dream Queen, along with Komodo Dragon and St Elmo’s Fire. This is my favorite grouping, year after year.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

Dark Shadows. I really, really like the coloring on this one.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Nw and Peren…..thanks for thinking of me. It’s a long recovery…….see the dr on the 12th……maybe can start PT then…….hopefully. But not sure how long I will need a walker or even a cane. But this too shall pass.

Nw, I have not been on the begonia forum so I was not aware of your dad’s passing. 😔
    I am so happy you had a wonderful last day with him. The visit was certainly a gift for all of you that day. May he Rest In Peace and, yes……gardening and family support will help heal you. ♥️

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Steve, I love Dark Shadows……reminds me a bit of GL Blue Banana…….but the leaf shape is narrower and GLBB is a little more blue. I remember that you liked mine when I posted it last summer.
    debra

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    2 years ago

NW- My sincere condolences on the lost of your parents. Sharing in your sorrow with love and friendship. Take comfort that you were there for him and treasure the memories.

debra- Diana Remembered is very fragrant.

If you do not have Diamond Lake, put it on your must have list. It was my favorite last summer.

UTOG very nice Diamond Lake- wowzers!!!

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    2 years ago

I'm sorry for all of your trials and troubles. Hoping for the best in the coming year. My mom passed away a couple years ago after a few years in a memory care unit. My 87 year old father just remarried a couple months ago and I've never seen him happier.

A lot of great Ds above, I'll try to sort through my trash to see what I have worth posting. Even though mbug's (everything) Dancing Darling is better than mine I wanted to post it and mention how I have it in a very shady - a couple hours of morning sun at the most - spot to keep the center from going to parchment/white and staying that brilliant yellow as long as possible. This Dancing Queen sport doesn't go green like its progenitor. See mbug's for the brilliant yellow June appearance. Here mine is on August 8th.

Danubie Isla goes through its own transformation. Here it is on July 23:

I'm really looking forward to watching this one this year.

And speaking of transformation, its hard to beat Dark Shadows that unfurls with this vibrant yellow edge.

only to quickly change into this dark blue/green with a dark green edge. I love this color combo.

and the blooms are tall and dense.

I only took a single pic of Dawes this year, but when it looks this good all I need is one. Hoping for a leap year this year.

Delta Dawn on May 14th

Dolcissimo - a spur of the moment buy while waiting in the line at LotG nursery.

Dorset Clown - the yellow gets brighter

Dust Devil

All caught up now. I may even get to post early for the Es.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Danubie Isla in spring, Dressed to Kill, Diva, and Delta Dawn (before the slugs and caterpillars got it).

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    2 years ago

NW, so sorry to hear the bad news about your dad………its been a rough year again, so glad you had some precious time with him recently. i haven't been here on the forum for awhile, hope i can keep up now. my idea to take more photos last year didnt happen…..again.

Sherry

• old_dirt 6a
    2 years ago

Dancing Queen

Diana Remembered

Dream Queen

Deja Blu

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    2 years ago

Thanks for sharing nw. I love the one of the back of everyone's heads. Your dad looks like he was really enjoying your visit.

ourSTEELERS! really captured that transition phase on Dark Shadows. I'll have to time my photos better this year.

utog - great shot of the Danubie Isla leaf with all the subtle patterning. That Dressed to Kill is in a pot, right? So i can leave my shovel behind when I come to visit.

Seems like I have a few more pics I can post. We haven't seen Dawn's Early Light yet, year 2, so just creeping along with the baby alligator tail.

I remember hearing some really good things about Daybreak, but seldom see or hear much about it. Year 3, but not much leaping going on here (yet).

Mid season Delta Dawn color (June 18th) year 5 battling tree roots.

Devon Cloud, a newbie. Invincible that starts out with a yellow center and since I don't have Invincible (I know, right) I picked this one up.

Kind of shiny (even when its not wet) kind of like Devon Green.

with that Cold Heart photo bombing.

And Dorset Clown with the bright yellow on June 7th.

and that's not a weed, its food, for later, in case of apocalypse. Just be thankful we didn't need to eat it last year.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    2 years ago

Nicholsworth, so sorry about the loss of your dad and your mom the year before. It was a gift that you were able to spend a wonderful day with your dad just one day before his passing. And you were able to capture some of those moments with pictures which will be with you forever.

I remember you posted a picture of your parents maybe a couple of years ago or so? I thought they were looking happy and in good health, and I just could feel the love you had for your parents.

I do hope you find things that will ease the pain of your grief. I know that gardening played a significant part in my travels through grief after the loss of my mother. It was at that point it really became clear to me how much of a passion I had for my plants. Seeing your garden though these posts, I am sure your plants will give you some peace.

Thank you for sharing the above photos of your dad. He did look happy!

2 years ago

Debra, another hip replacement! Oh no! You have had more than your share of physical troubles. I hope that this hip replacement will send you on your way to increased mobility! You certainly deserve that! And I am wishing that for you!

2 years ago

Love the "bird" picture Paula! That's a very nice photo of Betty White. May she rest in peace.

2 years ago

Dark Star. I noticed it was doing as well as of last year so I removed it and divided it up. I hope DS likes its new spot.

Diamonds are Forever. I hope this one will look as sweet as it did in 2021.

2 years ago

That is a great photo of your parents---both in plaid and a colorful background! It deserves to be framed! Almost seems photoshopped!

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Newhostalady, I have already had 2 hip replacements………no more left! haha……. but this was a repair for a torn tendon. I’ll be fine…… I am more worried for nw…..she’s had a big loss. It’s a strange feeling when you lose both parents eventually…….both of mine have been gone…..dad in 2006 (kidney failure related to heart disease in) , my mom almost three years ago from Parkinsonism……. I don’t know how to put it into words……..you feel it………. I am sure those who have lost both parents know what I mean, especially nicholsworth right now.

debra

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    2 years ago

debra, sorry to hear you're still dealing with medical issues. Why can't things go smoothly, right? Sending good thoughts for you to heal and feel better.

nw, just reading about the passing of your dad. So sorry to hear this. I'm glad you and your sisters will be together and share good memories.

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    2 years ago

I hope the cat pic wasn't real or else someone needs to put down their camera/phone and let the cat in! ....Great angle on that banana bird.

RIP Betty White, sad to see her go.

Steve, that's so nice that your dad found happiness at 87.

Dawn's Early Light - It's still in an area that's overcrowded even though I moved Liberty, which is a big one! Deciding which other ones to move if I can find a space.

Dragons Tails has been a fast grower.

2 years ago

Debra, I know you will be fine. But it still sucks to have to go through what you do! Do what you have to do this winter so that you can have fun when the weather gets better!

I can understand the loss of both parents. My father died in 2005 and my mother died in 2014. It is strange that they are not here anymore. My mother and I were close and I still miss her every day.

Steve, I agree that it was so good that your dad found love again! My father-in-law did also find another love after my mother-in-law died. They didn't married. Too complicated. But they had a relationship for almost 10 years. My father-in-law passed away in 2007---and his girlfriend is turning 99 this week!

2 years ago

Sandyslopes your Dawn's Early Light is beautiful and "special!"

• mbug_gw
    2 years ago

Debra and NW...best wishes and God Bless.

Steve...glad you caught up. You have too many great ones too miss!

2 years ago

mbug..thank you..all of you are so kind..🙂

2 years ago

utog..I love e-hugs with endless refills! ❤..nice journal!..(somehow I missed your comment 🙁)..I hate when that happens..