SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

New napkins for my new kitchen table

Lars
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I made new napkins for my kitchen this morning, but I have only made three so far.

I ran into a snag until I realized that my overlock machine needed to be oiled, and then it was much easier to finish them. I used turquoise cotton twill that I've had since the 1990s, and this is fabric leftover from making pants. My brother wanted orange edging, although I had suggested that I use turquoise thread instead, since it would not show flaws as much. However, they came out better than I had expected, and this was the first project in which I did this type of rolled edge with my serger. I practiced making the corners on scrap fabric quite a few times before I felt confident enough to make these napkins.

Here are pictures of the new table:

with new pendant lighting

view at night.

I also replaced the recessed lighting in the ceiling

You can see the matching pendant over the sink in this photo, and here is the old recessed lighting:

I wanted to get rid of the brown and gold in the kitchen and replace it with my new color scheme, which will look like this:

Palm Springs Kitchen · More Info

I plan to make more napkins, as I have enough turquoise fabric to make three or six more, but I want to use different colors of thread for the additional napkins. I think I will make the next batch with the turquoise thread that I have, but I also have black thread that I could use. I don't have gray overlock thread, and I don't want to use white.

Comments (46)

• Bestyears
    2 years ago

So nice! I've made napkins myself for my eco-conscious son. He loves them and uses them everyday. Love your new color scheme!

Lars thanked Bestyears
  • Lars
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks!

I checked, and I do have a good supply of silvery gray serger thread, and so that would be an option, but perhaps not an interesting one.

• Related Discussions

I am in my new house, my new kitchen... BUT...

Q

Comments (17)
    One way to handle putting an old self into a larger new kitchen is to draw a smaller old kitchen inside of it. All those things that used to live in the den? Or the basement? Or on the high shelves of the kids' closets? Those are still your least used things. It's great to be able to store them in the kitchen now, but you don't want to have the Christmas dishes and turkey roaster and martini glasses between you and the action. As much as you can, put the stuff you use the most away first, and do it in the tightest workflow area you can, best at point of use, designing your point of use at the closest comfortable place to the previous and next steps in the cooking process. If there's room leftover in your working path--like whole empty shelves or drawers, you can put in some of the least used stuff that makes sense in that location (roaster in the cooking zone, etc.) and put the rest of the overage in the more outlying areas, pantry, wherever isn't blocking you from using your kitchen efficiently. I think Buehl has winter dishes in her dish area because there was room (and she has a very efficient kitchen), but if you can tighten up your workspace by putting the Christmas china out, do it! And swap it in at Christmas time, if you use it all day for a month.
    ...See More

My new kitchen table from craigslist

Q

Comments (14)
    That is a fabulous table! You will have so much fun choosing chairs to use with it. So many options will look great with it. Any thought yet on what you will use for chairs?
    ...See More

a new look for my 'new to me' kitchen--help!

Q

Comments (4)
    The pics are kind of tiny so I can't see all he details. Is there a backsplash? I'm thinking you could do a white for a backsplash and white walls and a dirtied yellow on some walls. This would make your beige cabinets look darker and richer. The whole monochromatic look could be punctuated with colors in the accessories. Use some accents of natural wood. Go with chrome or brushed nickle for the hardware instead of black. Is there any way to fit an island into the space? The island could be of another color than the cabinets. The counters seem to bother you and you can't replace them right now you say. A lot of people have had good luck painting their counters. I've never tried it but it is said to have good results and it wears well until they can be replaced. Off course you could paint the cabinets instead too.
    ...See More

Need help with my new kitchen in my new build - cabinet alignment

Q

Comments (15)
    Thanks for all the comments. I cannot have equal size uppers other than as drawn because of the placement of the window and the beams (it is a new build at the framing stage). I appreciate the comments about the backsplash and need to figure that out. I really do like practigal picture - but the cabinets are the same size but there is more on one side than the other. I do have an island on that is 8 feet by 5 feet and the wall with the range is 20' long.
    ...See More
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

Wow, everything looks great … the napkins, the table/chairs, the lights. The new color scheme is so you, can’t wait to see it! Will you be getting new flooring?

Lars thanked Jilly
  • happy2b…gw
    2 years ago

Oh wow! The dining bay looks awesome. I love the napkins too and am a fan of the orange edging.

Lars thanked happy2b…gw
  • bbstx
    2 years ago

Looking good, Lars!

Lars thanked bbstx
  • localeater
    2 years ago

I love everything! Your new table and chairs are perfection, and the napkins are fab. I actually adore the orange thread, but it's a favorite color for me.

Lars thanked localeater
  • Arapaho-Rd
    2 years ago

Nice work, Lars! You chose a great color combo. Everything looks perfect.

Lars thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

I like tile, too … and yours is nicely neutral, it’ll look great with the changes you’re planning!

• sheesh
    2 years ago

Beautiful, Lars. After 40 years I still haven’t mastered rolled edges on my serger. Yours are perfect. the whole room looks terrific! Nice work.

Lars thanked sheesh
  • Olychick
    2 years ago

What a beautiful space and the napkins finish it off perfectly!

Lars thanked Olychick
  • llitm
    2 years ago

Love your napkins, Lars. I'm getting ready to make some linen napkins as a gift and am stuck on what size to go with; do you have a favorite size?

Lars thanked llitm
  • Lars
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here's a photo taken with artificial lighting, which makes the napkins look the correct colors, but the rest is a bit off:

This photo makes the walls look green, but they are instead a neutral beige. I would prefer to change this wall color, but that would involve a massive painting project, and so that will have to wait. The kitchen is open to the dining room, which is open to the living room, which is open to the hall, etc., and this makes changing wall colors more difficult. We plan to start with changes by making feature walls different colors, and this is far from ideal. It would have been nicer if the walls had been white or off-white instead of beige/tan.

• Kswl
    2 years ago

Love the new table and chairs…..very sleek!

Lars thanked Kswl
  • Lars
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The napkins I made are 20" square, and that is because the fabric was 61" wide.

My favorite napkin size is 21-22" square, and that is what I consider ideal. 24" is a bit too large, and 20" is the minimum of what I think is acceptable. If you want to be generous, then 24" is okay, but 22" will fit on the table better.

• pudgeder
    2 years ago

Everything looks great! I really like that pendant light!!

Lars thanked pudgeder
  • Lars
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here is the old look:

The old table was a pub table and was bar height and had bar stools that would not slide and were very bulky. You can see the old pendants in this photo as well.

We lived with this furniture for two years, partly because it was functional, and I could use the pub table as additional counter space, and its height was good for working but not for dining.

Eventually, we got tired of putting up with it and want to replace the lower kitchen cabinets due to damage from leaks from the sink, which I have repaired, but the cabinet bottoms are not in good shape.

We plan to put in new quartz countertops that will be similar to the new table top but a bit darker, with more of the gray veining.

We have to wait until cabinet makers will be willing to give us estimates, as currently they are all booked solid. I've already done the drawings, but I will be making some revisions when I get back to L.A. next week. I have better CAD software on my desktop computer in L.A. than what I have on my laptop.

• blfenton
    2 years ago

What a change. The new colours and furniture look so fresh and light. Love the napkins.

Lars thanked blfenton
  • nekotish
    2 years ago

Nicely done Lars! Your colour choices are always on point for your homes. Love the new table and chairs. My sewing machine and I are arguing and I get so frustrated I walk away and try another day. Time to take it to a pro I guess, because I miss sewing.

Lars thanked nekotish
  • User
    2 years ago

I love the table and chairs and the new lighting. The napkins are perfect. I agree on the size for napkins I love the large ones. The cabinets will be perfect. Hope it isn't too long before you can get them. I am likely to have extended waits on things as we start this newest renovation. c

Lars thanked User
  • OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

Lars, you always do such a great job with color selections and the things you create. Love the new table setup and what you have planned for the kitchen.

Lars thanked OutsidePlaying
  • cleopatra66
    2 years ago

I (sorta have) the vision, but not the skill. I love seeing your ideas and their fulfillment.

Lars thanked cleopatra66
  • maddielee
    2 years ago

Your new table and chairs look perfect there, the lighting goes so well. Great napkins too!

Lars thanked maddielee
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    2 years ago

Lars, the new table looks marvelous, quite an improvement, I think. I wish I had one-tenth of your creativity and skills!

Lars thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • Lars
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The new table is so much easier to clean around, and the dining chairs fit mostly under the table, giving us more room to move around in this very small kitchen. Before, with the old table, we had to move the table and all of the barstools in order to sweep or vacuum the floor, and the barstools did not glide easily.

I have two more dining chairs (plus my sewing chair) in the dining room, which I use mainly as a sewing room, but the sewing machines sit on a low cabinet most of the time. We could use the dining table for dining, but it's much larger, and we don't need it for that. I've had this dining table since 1989 - it is a trestle style that easily comes apart for storing, and so it was under a bed for many years until we decided to bring it here and get rid of the bar (that matches the pub table) that was in the dining room. The previous owners used the dining room as a bar area, it seems:

I think realtor photo, the bar is pushed against the wall, but it was much further from the wall when we bought the house - far enough so that barstools fit behind it. There was also a beer fridge and a wine fridge in this room. I'll post photos of this room as a sewing room later, once I have removed some of the temporary clutter.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

Beautiful work and choices, Lars, as usual. I love the cabinet color as well. That acqua blue/eau de nil color with red accents is a huge favorite of mine these days.

Lars thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Lars
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This house was built in 1991 and has a modern interior, but the previous owners wanted to make it look Spanish Colonial. However, the only thing Spanish about it is the tile roof, and perhaps the exterior stucco, and so I felt that we could easily make it have more of a Palm Springs look, even though the roof is not MCM. The cathedral ceilings are conducive to the MCM look, and that is the look we prefer.

We have the living room pretty much the way we want it.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

Very nice Lars!! i have some sewing projects planned for this winter.

Lars thanked Tina Marie
  • Bunny
    2 years ago

Beautiful work, Lars! Thanks for sharing photos of your home. It will be cool to see the changes to your kitchen.

Lars thanked Bunny
  • lizbeth-gardener
    2 years ago

Love the napkins and also where you're going with your kitchen. Looks so much brighter and fresher! I wish I had just a tenth of your creativity/vision.

Lars thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • colleenoz
    2 years ago

I love the new table and chairs and the new lighting, Lars! Much nicer than the old furniture (which I honestly wouldn’t have kept even on a bet).

I also love your proposed colour scheme- the turquiose and white will go nicely with the beige (which on my iPad looks more like taupe) and look kind of ”seaside”.

Lars thanked colleenoz
  • Kaya
    2 years ago

Very nice, Lars! I love the colors you've chosen.

Lars thanked Kaya
  • Lars
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here's a view of the dining room/sewing room from the kitchen:

I put the sewing machines on the cabinet so that the table can be used for other things, and I do use this table for cutting fabric.

We are thinking of painting the tan wall the same color as the kitchen wall, since no other wall in the house is this tan color. This wall is visible from the living room and the new color would tie in with the color scheme I have there. We can easily paint this wall ourselves, but Kevin said that he would have to hang different paintings on it

The liquor cabinet was already in the house when we bought it, but the low cabinet had been in the garage, and we switched it out with the bar that had been in this room.

When I am sewing, I have an ironing board set up between the table and the liquor cabinet, and there is plenty of space for this. The French doors on the right go to the pool.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Lars, did Kevin paint the hats? Love those! And that cool chair on the end.

Goodness … a whole lot of talent in your household!

• Fun2BHere
    2 years ago

@Lars, I don't know if you have any interest, but West Elm has free shipping today, 01/07, on Ooni accessories. Ooni

• Lars
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Jinx, yes Kevin did do the hat paintings, but the two small ones are actually colored pencil drawings. The large one is oil on panel board. We have more paintings in storage in the garage in L.A. that we can bring here, however.

Fun2BHere - thanks for that heads-up, but we already have all of the accessories that we could possible need or use, except for the carrying cover, which would be handy to have. However, I did make a cover myself, although it does not have handles.

Since we move the oven back into the garage every time we leave town, it would be helpful to have a carrier, however. I have materials to make a carrying strap, and so I'll probably do that instead. I made this cover out of Sunbrella fabric that I bought at a remnant sale that Nicole told me about.

• petalique
    last year
    last modified: last year

Good morning, Lars. I know this is a 4 month old post, but haven’t forgotten your cool napkins with the cool orange border.

Months ago, on a Food52 page, I came across something very similar from Atelier Saucier, I have to say I agree with Kevin about the orange serging on the acqua.

The shop has other colors and items.

I don’t think they have your Ooni cover yet. Better hurry and patent it 🧐

Link: https://ateliersaucier.la/shop/

https://ateliersaucier.la/product/palm-springs-set/

Lars thanked petalique
  • DLM2000-GW
    last year

Tell me, Lars - will you inwardly cringe (or maybe not so inwardly) seeing your beautiful napkins used to wipe catsup or tomato sauce or or or from the corners of a friend's mouth? Even with my no where near as dear store bought napkins I sigh inside, but that's what napkins are for.

Lars thanked DLM2000-GW
  • nicole___
    last year

Lars....love your napkins! I remember the Fabric purchase from Fabricguru.com for the ooni cover. I'm still making purchases from them. The prices on remnants is hit or miss...but the quality is just spot-on! Good job!

Lars thanked nicole___
  • pudgeder
    last year

The new look just "belongs" there. I like the color schemes! I admire anyone who can sew, let along do that kind of edge. Love it!

Lars thanked pudgeder
  • l pinkmountain
    last year

I missed this the first time around Lars. Love your updates. Seems much more "desert" than previous. Folks are entitled to their tastes, but your updates seem like they will greatly add to your enjoyment of the space! It's wonderful to finally make some progress on a vision!!

Lars thanked l pinkmountain
  • blfenton
    last year

What I pinkmountain said. (I'm just being lazy)

Lars thanked blfenton
  • Kswl
    last year

Love the new table and chairs! There's a familiarity to that table base shape that is very appealing. The chairs are a perfect fit. And the napkins are GREAT! I am a bit of a napkin you know what (we can't use the wh word here, lol) and I'd buy those in a red hot minute. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Lars thanked Kswl
  • Lars
    Original Author
    last year

I forgot to check on this recently, and now there are a lot of comments that I had not seen.

I did see the Atelier napkins in the Uptown Design District of Palm Springs, but I thought $78 was too much to pay for four napkins when I could easily make them myself. Also, I think 17" square is a bit too small. Mine are 19½" square, which I think is a good size for informal dining. For dinners, I like to make them 22-24" square, but I don't consider my dining table here to be formal.

I did make two more napkins with the orange border and four with the gray border. Sometimes it seems to take longer to change the threads in the serger than to do the sewing, but I have used up the last of that turquoise fabric.

Since I have a lot of fabric napkins, I do not cringe when they are used. If they get stained, I can always make more of them. I have some white linen that I could use for formal napkins, but I will use that for clothes first and then see what I have leftover. I bought it at a 75% off sale, and there was a limit to how much one could buy. I probably won't buy more linen until I find another sale.

White linen is fairly easy to launder, but the turquoise cotton seems to be a bit worse for keeping stains. I might use some patterned fabric for the next colored napkins.

• bbstx
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Lars, look at fabrics-store.com and check out their ”doggy-bags” for some bargains on linen. I’ve never bought a doggy-bag from them, but I have bought linen for other purposes. I liked it.

Lars thanked bbstx
  • Lars
    Original Author
    last year

That's where I bought the 75% off linen, but that sale is over. I believe I am signed up to receive notices from them when they have sales.

At first I thought that they were the same as F&S Fabrics in West L.A., since their initials are the same, but it appears now the F&S has closed their clothing fabric store (possibly for good) and only operates the upholstery fabric store across the street from it. The clothing fabric store was on the north side of the street at the NE corner of Pico and Manning, and the upholstery department is on the south side of Pico. I'll have to go to the upholstery department some day to see if they are selling fashion fabrics there. The old store had the best selection, including a large selection of 100% linen, but it was never cheap.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH