SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_955290593

Help me put some Finishing touches on awkward space

Kristy Seaman
2 years ago

i have an awkward space adjacent to the kitchen that is a high traffic area. Here is the general layout with a few differences ( fridge on opposite wall, island is shorter at 72 inches) i want to use this area like a small keeping room/ reading area. Here are some pics of the space. There is the doorway to sunroom on the left of fireplace and a hallway to the right of bookcase. Before:

After:

Kitchen · More Info

I’m thinking of shifting the sitting area in front of bookcase and only use one chair and add small ottoman.

kinda like this:

Gladstone Kitchen & Keeping Room Remodel · More Info

The chairs set up in front of fireplace made the space feel a little cramped for me It really needs something to anchor it and set it apart from the rest of the space, so thinking of laying a rug.

There is a larger rug in living room to the right and a rug in the sunroom/dining area to the left, I’m worried it will start looking like a rug showroom around here—lol Would a runner or L-shaped rug work? Maybe layering small rugs in that nook?

Really looking for any ideas to make this space more purposeful and like it was meant to be. Working with the previous owners layout is proving to be a challenge for this lady

Comments (18)