SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_309882238

Need Help! Office does not feel cohesive!

Lucas R
2 years ago

Hi all! I hope everyone had a great New Years. I want to ask for some help. I’m decorating a small office for a work from home / reading area. I cannot put my finger on it but I feel that the room is not cohesive.

A few thoughts I have:

• is the rug throwing things off?
  • is the black on the chair not meshing with the rest of the room? For example the grey walls and white trim?
  • I like the multiple wood tones (dark floors, walnut chair/ bookcase, light oak desk) but maybe something is throwing it off there?
  • is the art that I have over the desk with the warm colors not matching? Do I need other art on the walls to pull things together?

Other notes-

The large space to the left of the chair will be partially filled by a small side table that is coming in a few weeks. Would you suggest I add something - shelf, art- to that wall?

I am also receiving a matching ottoman in several weeks in the same black leather/ walnut wood.

I am getting rid of the dead plant and changing the big planter!

I feel like I’m close but missing something obvious. All help greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

Comments (31)

• Suki Mom
    2 years ago

Right now the rug is the focal point and i am not sure that what you intended. it looks like furniture is arranged to frame the rug. How about seeing what it looks like without the rug and try pulling the desk away from the wall and move it around to face different directions to see what you like. Move the black chair into the room and out of the corner.

• Lisa Kelley
    2 years ago

The picture is fine but I would say hang it a little higher and center it in the wall. You could put a floating shelf or two on the closet wall. I would get a small bookshelf, side table, or sofa table ro go under the window with a lamp and a small pillow with a little pop of color to go on the chair and hang the mirror. Also, what is the office used for?

• Related Discussions

Making updates feel cohesive

Q

Comments (9)
    I don't think that there is any need to use identical colors in baths serving different rooms or parts of the house. I do think that it's preferable for the bath colors (and to some extent style) to be compatible with the room or space that the room can be seen from, but it seems very unlikely that it would be possible to see the interior of one bathroom from the interior of another. What I'm saying is that a feeling of natural, rather than jarring, transition is likely a good thing, but a blue vanity, for example, is not startling in the way that an all-red bathroom (including walls) would be.
    ...See More

Help! I want a mid-century modern feel office, but I have limitations

Q

Comments (2)
    Suzy - I know what you are up against. I am petite and in looking for desks last year there were a lot of desks that were too tall. My recommendation is to research Room and Board. If I recall, you can have a Parson’s desk (classic mid-century style) custom made to your dimensions. It however is not adjustable. Just one option to investigate. Good luck.
    ...See More

Help needed to make a cohesive, modern feel dining room

Q

Comments (3)
    Here is a different viewpoint of the room. So we also have the stone wall in the back. The black chairs are the ones we fell in love with, unfortunately they very costly! But thinking something similar . Thanks for all your input!
    ...See More

Powder Room Reno-Please help! Choices, color palette, style cohesion

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks for responding so quickly, Kendrah. Yes-- we were told to get rid of those biscuit colored Kohler Memoir toilet/sink because the glazing is kind of gone both in the toilet and sink after 25 years. I just ordered a sample of the Annie Selke Crosshatch 12X24 tile and should have it in a few days. Will update then. I hear you on the geo pattern taking over. Just don't want too many things going on in a small space. That being said, going to mock up fake wooden panels on the bottom then put the wallpaper samples on top. More to come... Thanks again!
    ...See More
  • Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    2 years ago

Lighting, colors, and wall decor are the issues I see here. The ceiling lights are not the best. Are they on dimmers? Much better is a table lamp or wall sconce in each corner at chest height. Colors - the walls are a cool color, rug and desk - a warm color, I prefer all warm or all cool colors in a room. One way to get around that is to use griege to pull it all together. If this were my room, I'd change the wall colors to a greige or a warm green. Green is an earthy tone and may give your room more of a warm and fuzzy feeling as opposed to a doctors office/hospital look. Wall decor gives your room a personal touch as well as a conversation starter. If you'll have customers or clients in here, no family or overly personal wall decor. Wall decor (like art) is very personal and individual. Take your time with it. Don't stick something up on the wall just to fill it up. See if you can find a local artist, art gallery, or some colleges have their own art galleries. If not, try art.com. Buy a print and have it framed locally in plexiglass (that's cheaper). Go big or go home! Little wall decor doesn't make any impact. Measure twice, buy once.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

What is the measurements of this room? I believe a better furniture arraignment would bring better function for the space. How long and wide is the desk? Could doors to closet be changed out? Those take up huge space. Could they be removed and the closet be incorporated into work space? Might get multi use from this space with better space planning.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Spell check! “Furniture ‘arrangement’”.

• Valinta
    2 years ago

Suki mom has the right idea. Provide a floor plan.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Here is my hope if room is close to 12’ x 10’. One should always face door in office. So desk floats in room. Book case on wall to one side of window and smaller (printer?) table on the other side. Chair in corner. I would get better desk chair for ease of movement and get wood floor protector so you can move chair easily. No rug needed. Closet could house other items for storing supplies such as printer paper etc.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Scale above is each square equals one square foot.

• tfitz1006
    2 years ago

Instead of the table you have coming, could you use a bookcase instead? Those closet doors are so overbearing in this space. What's in there? As someone else mentioned, can you take the doors off and make it an alcove?

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

The desk needs to be on the longest wall and the art on the second longest wall, IMO. I don't care for the rug, but if you have a rolling desk chair, you might like a desk mat for it (plastic or glass.)

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hello again everyone!! Thank you so much for the suggestions. This is all very helpful.

@Suki Mom- I agree with the fact that the rug is calling attention to the room in a way that's unintended. I'll post a picture of the room without the rug below. I previously had the desk in the center of the room as @Flo Mangan had suggested, but at the time I felt it really cut the room in half and made it feel small. From a pure productivity perspective I like having the desk in the center, but put it against the wall feeling that it opened up the room!

@Elaine Doremus Resumes Written , this is my home office, so no clients. But I would like the backdrop to be presentable because I am usually working from home and on video calls. I really like your idea of the warm green/ greige. Could I ask why you suggested this? Do you feel that brings the cool and warm tones together? If so, do you feel warm green/ greige both would work equally well, or do you prefer one over the other? I like the green idea to change it up- after reading your comments I'm realizing it could look "off" because it looks kind of sterile- grey walls, big white doors, ceiling lights. That could really help I feel! Are you thinking something like this? https://www.myperfectcolor.com/paint/12667-cabot-9dbp-grey-green

@Flo Mangan, thank you for drawing that up. I really like your suggestion. One issue I had last time when having the desk in the center was that all the wires connecting my monitor, computer, keyboard etc. to the power outlet, the wires drooped out in front of the desk in plain sight. The desk does have a hiding mechanism built in but they were still very visible and very unattractive. Would appreciate your thoughts on how to address that if moving the desk back to the center. You're just about spot on with the dimensions- it is 10x11. Also- your and @tfitz1006 's idea about removing the closet doors is an interesting one. I don't really need that closet. That would create an alcove in that room as you say- perhaps a place for a bookcase or something else that you'd suggest? I think if anything that would open up the room.

@decoenthusiaste I think your point is a valid one if I decide to keep the desk against the wall. The only way I'd see that working is if I put the desk on the left of the room when you walk in, facing the long wall. The chair could then co in the corner (where the desk is now). I'd need to play with it but I think this also is a good idea.

Do you all feel that the furniture colors- black chair, walnut wood, oak desk- are okay, especially if tying in with a new wall color as @Elaine Doremus Resumes Written mentioned?

Thank you for all the help!!

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here are pics without the rug:

• Suki Mom
    2 years ago

I think the colors are fine!

If it doesn't work to pull the desk away from the wall, how about pulling the black chair further out of the corner, putting the short shelf unit under the windows, and removing the plant?

Seems to me that it would be better not to have anything on the wall that is to the left of the door into the room because it feels like it partially blocks the way.

• Suki Mom
    2 years ago

Your office looks richer without the rug!

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hey Suki Mom on that point how about this? I think this may be an improvement? Moved the desk to the long wall under the window as deco suggested:

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Or alternatively, think this looks better! What do you think? Maybe this and the warm green walls that was suggested, and some wall art? I am switching out that black planter and getting something shorter, and putting a big bushy green plant in there!

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Also remember I am getting a matching ottoman and this end table for the chair if it makes a difference! https://www.roomandboard.com/m/catalog/living/end-tables/mahoney-end-tables

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I like your wood mix. I have my desk floating too. Wire management is an issue. I have used various Velcro strips and command strips to hide cords and cables. I have another idea. I want to lay it out and see if it will work. Bbl

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Awesome!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Here is concept. Butt desk up to right wall just in front of closet. Remove closet doors and store for future. This will allow for easier wire management along right side. The walls beside the window are for your professional certificates, awards, recognitions. The art goes on wall you face from desk chair. You can design closet space as extension of your desk. Put frequently used reference books or anything you need within arms reach!! Still can put chair in and possibly some corner shelves in corner in front of desk. Check it out.

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Flo, that is awesome! I love turning the closet area into a functional bookcase. I also like the desk not facing a wall (would feel much more productive. It’ll take some handyman work to get the doors off but seems worth it to me.

Do you think I should consider the warm green walls or is there another color you’d suggest, or do you like it grey with maybe some more art in there? Maybe if I change colors I’ll do it while the handyman is taking the door off.

Also- do you think the ottoman would be too much for the room in your sketch above?

https://www.roomandboard.com/m/catalog/living/ottomans/callan-leather-ottoman/

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Lucas, you have some decent furniture to work with. I think you need some fine tweaking, color and some art work for the walls. Or some wood shelves and a bit of life via plants. (that half dead corn plant doesn't count! lol)

here's an arrangement w/your desk under the window. your walls need some extra help.

for example, look at this soft sage/gray wall color. would look nice w/your wood furniture, chair and your rug. Here's how to position the desk under the window.

I like this w/floating wood shelves over the desk. if you move the desk back to the other wall,

try a new wall color

maybe an accent wall,

Or something a bit more masculine, try BM Kendall Charcoal. bring in some other wood shelves (can you DIY? go to the lumbyard and get some walnut boards. cut to size. float them w/lag bolts or grab some brackets of some sort)

I like the dark wall color w/a soft white for the other walls. have you seen the DIY wood shelves w/the iron pipe fittings? you could easily make up something like that for the walls.

another layout floating the desk in the center. chair in the corner, bookcase on the one wall.

can you install a semi flush mount light in the center?

How about some artwork or photographs? your walls are very empty. you have anything w/a bit of color?

I think if you did that one wall in a dark color like the green or this black, maybe hung some pendants like this, did a cabinet in one corner w/a nice plant on top, it would look nice.

perhaps this type of set up. you can do some simple DIY bookcases. look at Ikea BillyBookcase hack. (see links below)

you could easily copy these shelves. even on a smaller/thinner level, painted dark like this, would look perfect in your office.

center light, rug, wall decor. maybe a glass door??

https://www.southernrevivals.com/office-makeover-reveal-ikea-hack-built-billy-bookcases/

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I love this color for your office especially with your wood stones.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

It’s Valspar Grey Suit. Soft green gray. You would need to test samples in your room to see what the color does in your light. If you like the color, but prefer SW paint, I can help you match up the color.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

If you angle chair to corner and put the small cabinet possibly in opposite corner you could get the ottoman in there but it’s tight. I think a smaller, less expensive one for the office might be better. Just depends on how you use this space. If chair is primarily guest chair you don’t need the ottoman. If lounging spot for you then perhaps smaller version would be best. But I wouldn’t overload this space with furniture.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

the sage colors are nice. here are some others

But I still like the Kendall Charcoal w/that warm wood tone of the desk and the chair

I like it with Simply White for trim and maybe the other walls, plus Wrought Iron for the doors

I'd do a woven wood blind on the window, similar in color to this pendant.

Or, you could always do that ikea billy bookcase hack and paint it the Kendall Charcoal.

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Beth, thank you for all the great suggestions. I REALLY like the first picture you sent and the furniture is very similar. I’m a huge fan of the sage color. I prefer that over the darker ones. Flo, I like the color in the last pic, but am leaning towards something a little lighter. For some context, the rest of my home/ condo has this sort of earthy vibe to it. That’s why I’m thinking the sage will go well. Beth I think your last suggestions are great but check out the picture below of my living room. I think you’ll see what I mean when I say the lighter colors might mesh well.

Also I agree Flo. I may cancel the ottoman. It may just be too crowded in there in it is on the expensive side. I don’t think I need it.

So how do you guys feel about this as some takeaways:

• light sage colored walls (I like the stonington grey that Beth suggested)
    • trying the layout that Flo suggested with desk facing short wall, chair to the left, Mahoney end table alongside
    • maybe a light oak floating shelf on the wall under the window (like in your first picture, Beth)
    • some colorful and personal artwork on the walls or on the shelf, and a big old plant to liven things up
    • a floor lamp for next to the chair and cancelling the ottoman so as not to crowd the space
    • and MAYBE a white rug that is larger and fits the space better

Definitely some work to do but feel the ideas coming. This is SO helpful- I appreciate everything!! What do you think, anything you think I’m missing?

Also here is my living room, to give you a sense of vibe:

• Julie Schmooley
    2 years ago

Excited to follow along !!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Great place! Might consider doing color in office on the window wall. It will add some sophistication to the room. But easy to do after you get furniture in place. I think it will be great. You want about 3’ around furniture and for your chair push back. Keep us posted.

• dsimber
    2 years ago

So am I!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

oh yes. I really like the living room colors and decor items.

I think your bullet points are right on.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!