SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelsey_sullivan91

Chantilly Lace Paint Dilema

Kelsey Sullivan
2 years ago

We had decided on Chantilly Lace for our interior paint color - doing the walls eggshell and trim satin. I just spoke with the painter, who said he has done 2 houses in Chantilly recently and they both required 4 coats of paint. And even the Ben Moore manager almost poo-poo'ed the color. Anyone have thoughts here? A close second would be Sherwin Alabaster on walls and trim. Just when i thought we had a final decision!!!! Help!!

Comments (68)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    2 years ago

4 oz.'s of ANY Colorant WILL BARELY FIT into most White-Bases!!!

The extra shots of white colorant blogger idea is 3 ounces so it fits with room to spare.

We've tested it three times.

Not uncommon to find painters who think an extra shot, or two, or three helps.

It doesn't do anything significant so if it makes them happy, great.

We tested it in Super Paint flat twice and Cashmere lo lustre once. Didn't even bother to save the Cashmere data because it was the same.

It took 3 coats to cover a medium gray Munsell Value around 8 with a whizz roller - same as the regular formula.

A lighter substrate and/or spraying you can maybe get away with 2 coats.

But to get close to the brightness of an Extra White standard chip, it took 3 rolled coats each of the 3 times we tested the extra 3 ounce formula.

It doesn't hide better and it's not a brighter white. A couple times it measured slightly darker L* than the chip. It's essentially no different from the regular formula.

• Mark
    2 years ago

Seriously? That flat earth analogy is horrible as they’re not versed in the subject they’re being contrarian about lol. I’m literally telling you what multiple professional painters who have USED this paint color told me from their very own experience. They tell the customer to factor in that it will need at least one more coat than other colors when doing a color change. Same with Sherwin Williams High Reflective White. Seeing how Chantilly Lace is the one of the most popular colors in my area right now I’ll listen to them and my own anecdotal experience of painting it over Repose Gray.

• Related Discussions

Best Trim Paint Color for BM Chantilly Lace

Q

Comments (4)
    Or is it better to continue using Chantilly but in a different finish? This. Definitely this. The rule of thumb for white on white is the white trim color must have less Chroma than the wall color - difference needs to be 0.20 (ish). Chantilly Lace, although it isn't the whitest-most-white-white in Benjamin Moore or over all, has a really low Chroma value, 0.27. You would need a color of white with a Chroma of 0.07 (ish). And there isn't one. Which means there is no way to put Chantilly Lace on walls and pair it with another white on the trim that will look bright, clean and crisp juxtaposed to Chantilly. Chantilly will make another bright, clean, crisp white on the trim look dingy. So, your only option since Chantilly is on the walls and you want white trim too, is to use Chantilly in a different gloss/sheen on the trim. Gloss/sheen in paint colors comes from the pigment volume/resin ratio, not from colorants. Even tho gloss/sheen does affect the way a color appears, it's more about the ratio of ingredients, not color attributes. Which is why one color in different gloss/sheen levels will look different but amazingly, miraculously the color of the different finishes always go together.
    ...See More

Benjamin Moore WB Paint + Simply White vs. Chantilly Lace Trims/Doors

Q

Comments (5)
    I prefer a cleaner white for trim, doors and cabinets in general and that's why I see CL as a better choice especially considering the tone of your floor. Chantilly Lace and Simpy White both technically work with Wind's Breath. There are no red flags that show up in the notations to indicate that they won't harmonize or go together. For example, I would do WB on the walls, CL on trim/doors and SW on the ceiling - it's a pretty palette. Consider the color of the cabinetry throughout the house too to help you make a decision.
    ...See More

Chantilly Lace cabinets and trim going against previously painted trim

Q

Comments (2)
    @Patricia Colwell Because WD has too much yellow in it for me. I am contrasting it with Silestone Charcoal, a black Zephyr french hood, and black hardware. Backsplash is Sartoria Tsquare in Half Moon which is white with gray shading. I think WD would look dirty next to it. The island will have the same countertop and hardware but it will be a white oak with a natural finish. Maybe that would bring the 2 paint colors together if I continue the WD trim into the kitchen?
    ...See More

Which white paint for walls and trim to go with Chantilly lace cabinet

Q

Comments (1)
    I've been crushing on Sherwin-Williams Snowbound lately. It's closer to an off white than white. Has enough colorfulness (Chroma) for a north light situation. And I like the color relationship with Chantilly Lace. And there isn't a whole lot that Snowbound does not work with. Snowbound for walls. Repeat Chantilly Lace on trim.
    ...See More
  • Mark
    2 years ago

@Lori and that’s extra white which has better coverage. Imagine painting with Chantilly Lace or High Reflective White if Extra White took 3 coats.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We've don CL and HRW as well. I have nothing good to say about HRW.

Extra White I think you 'can' get away with 2 coats if the moon and stars align. Top tier product in at least a satin sheen, great painter/application, perfect white substrate to start, etc.

I have a trim sample of Chantilly Lace, Scuff-X satin on my desk right now. I didn't paint it but it was brushed 2 coats. Which is your best bet product-wise for trim/doors/cabs for Chantilly hide vs. Advance, for example -- IMO. And this sample looks "fine", substrate was white to begin with. However, if it were my house, I'd take the opportunity, pay the extra few hundred for a third coat because it would elevate the look to more finished. But... it's not... so.

• CDeRyke 2002
    2 years ago

Sherwin Alabaster has a green undertone and is much warmer than BM Chantilly Lace. Is there something in between, or are you ok with a warmer white like Alabaster? My entire interior is Alabaster and since I have lots of windows and we are surrounded by trees, I often think my paint color is very warm and creamy. Just FYI.

• H D
    2 years ago

Following

• Fa Knapps
    last year

My painter didn’t mention anything bad about CL. I will let you know next week how it goes.

• susanlynn2012
    last year

Prepping and Primer is a necessity in painting before painting with paint to not have to use so many coats of paint.

• jeanennemorphis
    last year

We just painted our interior CL, includig trim. The walls were all various shades of blue and gray and they took primer plus 3 coats for good coverage. The trim was better as it was all new and already primered. It's such a soft clean white.

• Lori Sawaya
    last year

they took primer plus 3 coats for good coverage

That is the average to achieve enough hide with Chantilly Lace over more nuanced colors.

• Fa Knapps
    last year

I don’t know, we painted all the walls and trims in CL, I was concerned because french door is Iron Ore and the the walls around had a lot of iron ore in it, it was all well covered at the end.

• Anna C
    10 months ago

We want to paint our whole house in Chantilly lace. Does anyone have updates on how many coats they used?

• Lila S
    10 months ago

We sprayed 2 coats, but it’s a new construction and no other color underneath. We also sprayed 2 coats CL for the exterior. We used Aura if that help.

• Anna C
    10 months ago

Is the best result to use a separate primer? I heard Regal line doesn’t really include the primer.

• Lila S
    10 months ago

Regal select is self-priming, as long as Aura. But we primed first, followed by 2 coats Aura. If you want to skip the primer then 3 coats are recommended, but more $$.

• HU-431290908
    4 months ago

Tell your paint store to add 1 oz of white tint per gallon of chantilly lace. It doesnt change the color and covers much better. You csn even add 2 oz per. It makes it cover much better. Have done it for years!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

Apparently you can ask for "the Chantilly special". They drop some black in it and it's not detectible but helps with hide.

Lengthy discussion about CL and whites that require many coats in a post in The Women in Paint Facebook Group.

• HU-114244111
    4 months ago

All walls in my house are being painted in Chantilly Lace as I write. If I could do it again, I’d pick a different white, probably BM Oxford White. My painter says it’s going to take one coat of primer and three coats of Regal paint minimum, maybe four coats to cover.

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 months ago

Check if your painter is using enough paint. If they are using the appropriate amount of paint it should provide coverage with 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of any color paint that is using the white base including Chantilly Lace. The bulk of the opacity comes from the base not the added colorants.

Measure the square footage of a room, have the painter start with a fresh gallon of paint and see just how much they used to cover the room. I think it is 400 - 450 sf / gallon

• HU-114244111
    4 months ago

@jenniferhogan Thank you!

• Mark
    4 months ago

When I painted my aunt’s house Chantilly Lace took primer and three coats of Regal Select for 100% coverage. Two coats looked passable but I convinced her to go with another coat after rolling a third coat on half of a wall. The third coat next to two was a noticeable difference.

• Mark
    4 months ago

I forgot to add, this was over a somewhat dark gray (Sherwin Williams Repose Gray). Lighter colors may get away with primer and two coats.

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 months ago

@ Mark - my test that I did was a black stripe on white drywall using just the base, no colorant added, measuring the appropriate amount of paint for the area being covered.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    4 months ago

Lighter colors may get away with primer and two coats.

Odds are unlikely.

The reality of Chantilly Lace in actual application is bigger than just the fact that it has poor hide.

What we're seeing is noticeable color difference when mixed same product, different sheens. A solid color strategy is to use the same color matte/eg walls satin or semi trim. My advice is don't even think about it with CL.

There are SO MANY other color options. Chantilly Lace isn't worth the hassle or upcharge that most pro painters have learned (the hard way) to charge.

• Mark
    4 months ago

“@ Mark - my test that I did was a black stripe on white drywall using just the base, no colorant added, measuring the appropriate amount of paint for the area being covered.”

@Jennifer Hogan there’s a massive difference between getting coverage on a little black stripe and getting the same consistent amount of coverage on an entire wall. I could cover a little bitty stripe with two coats of Chantilly because the amount loaded on the roller/brush would be a lot thicker going on that small area than it would be if I were rolling an entire wall. Imagine taking a yellow highlighter and coloring a white post it note yellow. Now, imagine taking another highlighter and doing the same thing on a giant sheet of paper. Same principal.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 months ago

Well. Lori will bust a gut laughing, and come back with all the reflective values...and why it doesn't work.

But my go to because of this? A formula created from two Ben Moore stock colors. Two thirds Decorator white, ONE third Linen White

It is fool proof for cabinet white, foolproof on walls. It's all the clear effect of Chantilly and none of the coverage hassle. Matters not matte, Regal Select . It virtually always covers in a primer and two coats. Over another white? It looks good after one coat, but I always do two, so a non issue.

Have learned the hard way in time and labor with a fanatic painter. At some point you need the painter OUT of the house.

Another laugh? When I want softer I reverse it. Two thirds linen, one third decorator.

Both became the two best selling whites at my old cabinet company...twenty eight years ago after I b$#@@$ that "this is too icy, and this damn thing is too yellow and this is just not riiiiight".

Chantilly and Simply white, especially on trim, is akin to taking a half cup of cake icing, adding a gallon of water and expecting a NY Times feature for your chocolate cake. Hope ya like tan, lol

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 months ago

@ Mark If I took an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper and drew 1" squares on the page and slowly and carefully highlighted each square I should get good coverage. If I just run the highlighter willy-nilly over the paper I am going to have streaks and thin spots and spots that were overly saturated.

When I paint a wall I am loading my roller and spreading the paint, covering a space no larger than 3' square before reloading the roller, making sure to reload before I need to apply additional pressure to the roller to get coverage.

I am a data scientist who measures health outcomes for Medicare Recipients. If I am testing something I wouldn't just fully load a roller to use on a 10x4 section of drywall. I wanted real results. I described my methodology when I posted my results.

"Okay, got tired of guessing, so I painted a piece of drywall.

Put a primer coat on

Taped off and painted a black stripe across then entire piece.

When that was dry I painted the whole piece with another coat of primer and taped off evenly spaced sections. 10"x4"

I measured and applied 2.5 ml of paint prior to rolling with a saturated but rolled off foam roller to ensure that I was applying the appropriate amount of paint to each section for each coat.

Did some test runs weighing the roller before and after painting to make sure I wasn't adding or removing paint with the roller. (Chose foam due to the ability to have a more controlled saturation level)

(2.5 ml/40 sq inches= 9ml per sq ft = 415 sq ft per 3.736 liters/ 1 gallon)"

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 months ago

@ Mark - the reason I tested this was because the idea that a specific white wouldn't cover failed logic.

The titanium dioxide in the base is the most opaque colorant there is. Any colorant you add to the base will make it less opaque.

So why would those paint colors with the least amount of colorant added need more paint to cover than something with more colorant and lower opacity?

Try painting white paint over bright red paint and then bright red over white paint. The white will cover much better than the red. The white is far more opaque than the red.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    4 months ago

BenM, BEHR, SW, Dunn-Edwards, all of them have a slightly different Tio2 profile.

Tio2 is not equal across brands sometimes it's not equal across tiers within the same brand. And it's somewhat fluid. When there's an alteration in Tio2, Safety Data Sheets change also.

BenM and BEHR are -typically - whiter than SW or DE. SW is yellower. DE grayer.

That's the main reason (second is colorant set) why some colors cross brands more gracefully than others. e.g. Getting a clean BenM white from DE is futile but it's also (partly) why DE can market 10 High Hide Whites.

Stars have to align for Chantilly to be passable after 2 or even 3 coats: Ideal substrate, higher solids top tier like Aura or Regal, 3/8 or 3/16 roller because CL is so thin 3/4 stipples and leaves holidays almost like a faux finish and lastly application by an experienced painter.

Call any Independently owned Benjamín Moore store - literally anywhere in the country - and ask for their advice about Chantilly Lace.

Not a single one will tell you to count on it hiding in two coats.

• Mark
    4 months ago

@Lori A. Sawaya thank you. I’m not sure why people who are beginner/novice painters at best are going against professionals that have literally been painting their entire life as their craft that state Chantilly is horrible for coverage. Chantilly Lace is extremely popular in the Chicago area where I’m at. Every single professional painter I’ve dealt with here will tell you how bad this color is to work with and to expect to be charged for at least an extra coat minimum. I’ll go with the anecdotal evidence from my experience, professionals I dealt with in real life, and from thousands of professional painters on forums and Facebook groups on this one.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 months ago

Why indeed, Mark. Because some people think that they are experts in everything, and have no problem proclaiming it for all the world to see.

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 months ago

Some people think because they get paid to do a job that makes them an expert.

Just because I don't get paid doesn't stop the local paint stores and local real estate agents from giving out my phone number to people who need assistance with selecting interior colors.

I may not paint homes for a living, but I have a collection of over 500 8 1/2 x 11 paint samples that I have collected from the people I have helped pick colors. I have been a hobby artist working with oils and acrylics and alcohol markers and pastels and other mediums for 50+ years, went to cosmetology school and learned about skin tones and hair colors; studied color psychology when working in behavioral health and have studied color science because I enjoy color and love math and became fascinated with how our minds find color combinations pleasurable when they follow geometric patterns. But I am simply a hobbyist and have no real knowledge because I am not paid to roll paint on a wall.

But wait a minute: Faron79 makes his living in the paint industry and what did he have to say below?

"Oh Boy.....

* There are obviously 1,812,473 Colors that are tinted into "White-Bases". ;-)

* It is BEYOND RIDICULOUS that a handful of those "White Colors" could MAGICALLY change a VERY OPAQUE Tint-Base into one needing 4 coats!!!

* It SIMPLY ISN'T POSSIBLE.

* "People are being told....". >>>> Wow.....that sounds like "Proof" right there! (EXTREME Sarcasm here btw!) . . . "

• Brad Ical
    last month

Ive been painting pro for 14 year CL is a nightmare colour and flagged at most stores becaue the coverage is horrible. we can talk tips and tricks all day long. the surface of the wall, the primer, the paint, the amount of paint being used. (if a customer questioned me about how much paint i was using i would consider them crazy)

best case scenario. walls are already a flat. i would use something slightly higher in the lrv . id would tint the deadest flatest ceiling paint for my primer. some primers dont cover at all and the finish isnt flat. then i woule cross my fingers with 2 coats of a good matte.

i never promise a client number of coats with CL and ask them if they really love it because i could cost them

for me. the best colour is always one that covers in 2 coats. i want all my jobs to go as planned so i can not be delayed or have to push my next project.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last month

Brad lcal -

if a customer questioned me about how much paint i was using i would consider them crazy.

Why? Are you sure you are coating to specification? Do you ever estimate the number of gallons needed and have left over paint at the end of the job? I have measured, calculated and specified the number of gallons to get appropriate coverage and had clients hire a painter to do the work. When the painter is done there are gallons of left over, never been opened paint. That tells me that they didn't use enough paint.

i would use something slightly higher in the lrv .

For what? The primer/ceiling paint? What ceiling paint are you getting that has a higher LRV than Chantilly Lace?

id would tint the deadest flatest ceiling paint for my primer.

Wait - didn't you want the highest LRV? Won't tinting lower the LRV? What color are you using to tint the ceiling paint?

Why Ceiling paint? Do you have an advanced degree in chemistry and have determined that from that vast knowledge base that ceiling paint seals as well, blocks stains and odors and provides the same adherence as primer.

some primers dont cover at all and the finish isnt flat.

You are correct that some primers don't cover at all. I am using Gardz on old plaster walls that had 70 year old wallpaper and nicotine stains. It is clear and dries to a glossy coat, but the yellow stains won't penetrate through the surface and cause problems with my top coats.

I have some trim that I am painting that have tannin bleed. I am using BIN. Ceiling paint wouldn't do anything for tannin bleed.

For non-problematic walls I use 123.

Bin and 123 have great hide.

But, you are a 14 year veteran in the painting profession - I should trust your judgement over science based evidence.

• Brad Ical
    last month

Spread rate of the paint can differ depending on the surface its going on. most new houses are sprayed second coat rolled but they use flat paint super dry takes new paint very well. absorbs more. you use more paint

painting over a semi gloss will be the opposite.

lets take lvr out. certian tints help coverage. like black. yellows and deep golds do not.

applying paint to me seems easy . you want a smooth finish. applying to much can cause some slight texture.

i love bin. its now to expensive snd to harsh for most home owners. paint stucks very well and bonds instantly. i would never recomend it for this type of application though. we are talking for colour change. im saying ceiling paint bevause its flat and hides better.

do i have a degree in chemistry? no but i do know how to talk to people and read. so again we are talking about its ability for a colour change. good luck to you and in your research please get some people skills

• Faron79
    last month

"But.......I've heard >>> statement X <<< from many people over the years, so I assume it's 'Fact'".

There's a million "Parrots" out there.

Faron

• Mark
    last month

Brad Ical, don’t bother. Apparently her anecdotal “scientific test” trumps your 14 years of being a professional painter lol. The pros that use Chantilly Lace and comment on how horrible the coverage is are wrong and she’s right (sarcasm).

• Brad Ical
    last month

Not sure why she is here if she knows everything lol end up painting for people like this sometimes. always a pain

• Jennifer Hogan
    last month

I am answering here because there are people like you who are passing on information that has no scientific basis and doesn't make any sense.

Why would the same base 1 (opaque white) paint cover better or worse based on a particular formula of tint being added to that base.

A can of Regal Select Base 1 paint has 126 oz of paint. I don't have a can with the formula for CL, but it most likely has less than 1/2 an oz of tint. That means that it is minimally 99.6% base paint and 0.4% tint. (This is like adding a tablespoon of water to a gallon of milk).

This little bit of tint in the particular combination that makes the color Chantilly Lace destroys the covering power of the base 1 base paint. Any other combination of tint works just fine, but not the combination that creates CL.

• Faron79
    last month

Yes Jennifer......

Apparently there's something about the very minute formula for CL, that "POOF" ..... destroys the ability of the 1X Tint-base to maintain its opacity!!!

Maybe it's "Evil"?! 😂😈

HUNDREDS of Colors go into that base!!!!! Yet.........the mysterious "CL" color is "The Devil's Work". Something cursed results from this particular combination of colorants. It's "Black Magic" I tell you!!!

PRAY for those who choose &/or apply this color!!!! Better yet......RUN FOR THE HILLS! SAVE YOURSELVES from this dreaded color!!!!! Maybe this formula makes TI02 disappear?!

🤓😜😂😈🤣

Faron

• Fa Knapps
    last month

Apparently I am the only one here with a good experience with Chantilly Lace, I don’t know what my painter did, my whole interiors are CL (walls, ceilings, and trims), I’ve been in my house a little over a year and I haven’t seen any problem with the color, people actually always make comment about how can it look so pristine white. My french doors are iron ore and I remember there was a lot of iron ore sprayed around in the wall too, it is all well covered with CL. I am glad I didn’t read this before, because I would be afraid to use this beautiful color. I am more convinced now my painter is amazing.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    last month
    last modified: last month

Here's how to reach out to Benjamin Moore directly if you have concerns about choosing Chantilly Lace for your project.

Do not call the 1-800 number.

Best bet - contact an Independent Benjamin Moore Store. Make sure you select "Authorized Plus". https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/store-locator?q=85323 Like this:

If you're a color pro reach out to your rep: Painters or Architects & Designers

Reps can refer you to a Field Representative. Some Field Reps are actual chemists and/or have coatings certifications; my experience has been most go above and beyond to answer questions, provide documentation or just advice.

• Faron79
    last month

I almost hate to bring up the fact that there's 4 different formula's for CL. It depends on which BM product you're going into......Ben, Regal, AURA, Advance, 1/2-pint samples, etc. Each one has a different "Last revised" date too! This is straight from my COLORx Software, & tinted with my big COROB D600 Tinter!

Faron

• Faron79
    last month

The only time you'll ever see $35,000 worth of 2 COROB's side-by-side!!! You MAY be able to tell which one is 15 years old..... ;-) We got the new Tinter when Ben-Moore products came into ACE Stores. We could'a converted the old girl, but some of the 16 pumps were getting hard to keep in calibration.

The new "Baby" of mine has 4 all Stainless-Steel pumps with Ceramic coating inside. I think it was an additional $500 per pump. The "Oxide Colorants" need a more durable pump.

Why am I bringing this up??!?!??!

I don't play around with Paint, OR my equipment. And....I DO have some idea about what I'm talking about after 22+ years.

A little further back, with the initial set of BM when it came into our store....about when covid started:

Faron

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month
    last modified: last month

Or you can just make a formula of two stock colors, 2/3 Decorator white, and 1/3 Linen white, and have none of the issues of coverage, and a nice bright clean white on walls, cabinets and in whatever Ben product and finish you desire.

You really don't need the oh so magical "Chantilly".

I've used that for about 33 years.........My Ace named it: ) can't remember what .

When I want something a bit creamier? I reverse it. Lori just passed out - I'll have to rip out about two thousand miles of cabinetry lol and correct the error of my ways.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    last month

No I didn't.

Because I can respect the fact that I'm not the only one on the entire planet with decades of experience in architectural coatings.

You do you.

• Faron79
    last month

Hi Fun-C!!!

In spite of our rare difference on this one issue, I hope you're doing well professionally, & are busy!

Thought I'd say Hi 🥰 !!

• Faron79
    last month

I hope Jan M. & everyone realize that, in the case she just brought up, that the formulas & blending of colors........are only teeny drops of Colorant different.

These colors all go into the same VERY OPAQUE White 1X tintbase. As you "move down" the 2X thru 4X bases, each one is LESS FULL.....AND has less TI02 proportionally.

If I put the formula for CL into the 4X base >>> THEN <<< everyone would (correctly) be screaming about the coverage/opacity!!! You could apply 7 coats & not be happy.......

Critical-thinking people.......apply critical thinking!!

Faron

• Jennifer Hogan
    last month

But Faron, they say it is true, we must believe!