SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lima

Should I replace my kitchen can lights with these star lights?

Kate
2 years ago

I feel my kitchen is a bit boring so I’m looking to add some interest. I’m thinking of changing my ceiling cans to these flush mount star lights, see pic. I have 4 flush lights in the corners and my ceiling is around 8’. Thoughts?

Can’t add a center light without major construction since duct runs right in the center of the ceiling. Any suggestions?

Comments (42)

• User
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Not a chance. General lighting isn’t ever an obnoxious star. You need to get away from making secondary unobtrusive things be a last ditch focal point, and address the real issues of no obvious design focal points in the kitchen.

Revisit the design as a whole if you find it boring. You designed it to BE boring. Why? Don’t do gee whiz bang pop things that are totally unsuited to drawing attention to themselves. And that are just plain ugly to boot.

• Kate
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Verbo, maybe you can add a picture or some ideas of a focal point since I’m not sure what your suggesting?

• Related Discussions

Replacing my Garland 30" - Wolf, Capital, BlueStar or KitchenAid?

Q

Comments (10)
    Ours is still holding up fine after the changes in the linked post. There's one burner where I need to tweak the ignitor position (takes too long to catch b/c the spark is off center). With the Garland, there could be a few different places that could be the problem. Off the top of my head, in addition to the ignitors and the module, I guess there's a chance that one of the switches on the burner valve is broken. You ought to be able to check continuity there and see if they're working. Other than that, module, ignitors, and wiring are all possible points of failure that should be readily fixable. BS for a while also wanted the range on a dedicated circuit. The idea was that noise, particularly from fluorescent ballasts (not sure if electronic or magnetic matters) could cause phantom firing of the spark module. FWIW, my parents have an early 90's 30" Viking that's still going, with various repairs over the years (an oven element was the latest IIRC). So, there's no reason to toss the Garland unless something catastrophic has happened. The right person with a wiring diagram and parts ought to be able to get it running again.
    ...See More

what are my options for kitchen lighting to replace what I have

Q

Comments (2)
    Remove the plastic cover and the bulbs inside. Inside there is a metal cover that hides the wiring. Press in on the cover to remove it. You will probably find the wiring enters the center of the fixture from a plastic on metal junction box. You will find the fixture is held to the ceiling with toggle screws. All of this means that the wiring enters the center of the room and when you remove the fixtures you will have two holes to fill. You then have several options. You could install a ceiling fan with a nice light fixture. You could have recessed lights installed. A nice light fixture or an appropriate size chandelier are other options. See what's available at a lighting store.
    ...See More

What lights should I use over kitchen islands and dining table?

Q

Comments (18)
    the crystal one is pottery barn, the others you can find all over. for some cost savings, try Lampsplusopenbox. great deals. https://www.lampsplusopenbox.com/chandeliers-category/island-usage/search.htm this one is nice too. 75watts for each bulb. that should be decent light for the island area they have this one too. not bad at $367. I've ordered a few from them. selections are limited and they change daily. otherwise, try regular LampsPlus, and here on Houzz or Wayfair. https://www.houzz.com/products/lunar-3-light-cascade-pendant-no-767-clear-glass-shades-prvw-vr~111334315
    ...See More

Can I use following electrical scheme for LED lights for my kitchen?

Q

Comments (12)
    They also make LED tubes that are direct replacements for your old fluorescent tubes, providing you have electronic ballasts. Some are direct replacements, some need you to remove the ballast. Look at the reviews before buying, some are waaay more performant than others in terms of light output and angle of the light beam.
    ...See More
  • Sammie J
    2 years ago

I wouldn't use them! You don't want the focus on your ceiling!! Instead, get a pretty, more colorful roman blind at the window, and a long coordinating runner instead of your current rug. Add some colorful accessories - a plant by the window in a nice pot, some stacked cutting boards leaning on the wall - anything to give the space some character. See how just a few items can add interest

• Kate
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Sammie for the helpful suggestions. The kitchen pictures were taken right after I sealed my countertop so I took everything off. I have a couple of things on there now, but overall keep it pretty clean. I will play around and see what else I can add. Still stuck on lack of a “focal point” comment from a previous response, are cutting boards a focal point?

• chispa
    2 years ago

I think Verbo is saying that you chose a white, on white, on white kitchen and there is no "star" that catches your attention. It looks nice and airy for a smaller sized kitchen, so don't dwell on that comment too long!

I don't think you want those lights in the ceiling.

Sammie had some good suggestions.

I would also consider changing out that clock(?) or art piece on the one wall you do have. Again, white on white and adds nothing to the space.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

I think it's all quite neutral, so if you added something like a flowering orchid or change the shade and runner as suggested, that may help.

To my eye, your kitchen is minimalist, which is perfectly fine if that's what you were going for, but agree there is nothing that really "grabs" your eye. I presume that was the intention of the kitchen design in the first place?

• Kate
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I agree that the “star light” is not a good fit for my kitchen. What about something a little more simple that would suit the design better.

• Kate
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for the feedback and will incorporate some suggests, but I have decided to nix the ceiling lights completely. No further comment is needed.

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

@Kate I agree no on those star lights! And I agree about clock - had to really look for it - white on white! Focal point is the window end of kitchen - the eye goes right to the light. I agree a prettier shade with texture. Is there a hanging light there? That’s the place to put an eye catching light - maybe stainless fixture to blend with your kitchen finishes. The rug you have has texture but no color which is ok & would tie in with wooden accent items. I'd like the rug to either be an exact fit to space width or to be centered in the space.

• Kate
    Original Author
    2 years ago

KW, I nixed the ceiling lights and my first choice was over the sink, but that's a combination of concrete and plumbing for the sprinklers overhead (loft condos). Its cost prohibitive.

I did have an oriental rug that covered a large portion of the floor, but I didn't think it worked with the rest of the space. Maybe I can find a different one to try.

I'm not a fan of the clock there either, but it was an anniversary present from my husband and I have no where else to put it, it cookoos!

• barncatz
    2 years ago

I've seen that clock - it's adorable. I wondered about stick and peel wallpapering on that one stretch of wall, or a color. I also wondered about a wrap shelf, like this corner one.

I'd change the hardware to brass or gold. I like clean counters too, but some version of what @Sammie J suggested would help.

And I agree, a longer rug that fills the entire sectiom in front of the sink and dishwasher. Centeted works visually but fubctionally doesn't seem to protect the floors.

Kate thanked barncatz
  • Cynthia
    2 years ago

I might be missing something....the pic says those are wall sconces, not ceiling lights. I would look for other ways to add pizzazz. Colorful vases, a rug, etc.

Kate thanked Cynthia
  • KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

@Kate the clock fits the space perfectly & likely shows up more in person than in pic. I know all about clocks - we have 4 antique wall hanging time, strike & chime clocks in addition to a tall time, strike & chime floor clock. I don’t hear any of them any more & never know the exact time 😆 I do like the sisal rug & wooden stool - just want rug longer or centered. I disagree about changing hardware to brass or gold - what you have is perfect. Put your items back on counters & add some greenery & pretty wooden bowls or cutting boards. .

• Kate
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@KW, i look at that clock many times during the day and often wait for the coo coo. Thank you and agree about the hardware, I prefer stainless or chrome.

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

@Kate what is the coo coo figure? We had a dark wood cuckcoo clock that we bought many years ago when we lived in Germany. Ours was a twirling dancing couple.

• Kate
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The rug in the pick is gone and I have a solid black stressless runner across the entire sink area. I love it since I spend a lot of time there and there is concrete under the hardwood. Sadly it doesn't add any pizazz to the space and just blends into the floor.

• Kate
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@KW ours is a red bird that comes out and flaps its' wings opens its' beak.

• Kate
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@barncatz, I've pondered adding shelves there too! However Im not much for tchotchkes and I have a bar directly across that has glass shelves (again no color). No place for Coocoo then and the area is too small for wallpaper. I though about brick, but that might feel random.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

Ack! Please, no brick!

Kate thanked Anna (6B/7A in MD)
  • barncatz
    2 years ago

Ah, understand why the shelves don't help, although I was assuming you could work around the inestimable Coocoo in their placement and keep it.

For the hardware, I also prefer the silver tones for my own kitchen and your hardware is lovely. I was thinking adding more contrast might be one way to address a feeling that a more monotone scheme is a "bit boring". But wood boards, pottery and live plants are easier!

Kate thanked barncatz
  • einportlandor
    2 years ago

Kate, your kitchen is gorgeous -- you did a beautiful job. I agree with others to maybe look for a window covering with a hint more personality to draw the eye. Beyond that, I suggest choosing a few interesting accessories to add a bit of flair. One of my favorites is always a beautiful ceramic bowl or platter filled with fresh fruit. It never fails me. One (or three) small succulents on the window sill will look great. Other options include a beautiful olive oil decanter, an interesting hot pad/plate next to the range, a set of vintage salt and pepper shakers, expensive dish towels, or a large jar to hold frequently used cooking utensils.

Any of these, alone or in combination, will add a soft touch to your already fabulous kitchen. Oh, and I ALWAYS have a small vase of fresh flowers on my kitchen table. You can't beat mother nature. Enjoy your new kitchen.

Kate thanked einportlandor
  • Renee
    2 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen. I would consider changing the window dressing to something darker and then adding similar tone wood accents - a cutting board etc., add a brighter runner and enjoy!

Kate thanked Renee
  • doods
    2 years ago

Kate look at Lisa's kitchen window above her sink under heading "Kitchen in need of creative pizzazz" which right now is a few items above yours. Her window to me is wonderful, creative and interesting. I know you can't do a light but what about an interesting plant and some little sculptures, that would help to add of focal point imo.

• Kate
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@doods, We are gone for months at a time so plants don't work although I would love some green. Thinking artificial might be cheesy. The same goes for a bowl of fruit it would be shriveled fruit. I even tried a cactus since you don't have to water as often, but ends up dead too.

• doods
    2 years ago

understand

• einportlandor
    2 years ago

How about some tiny vases for the window sill -- pick up some flowers on your way into town, then dump them on your way out.

• Kate
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@einportlandor, I might give the tiny vases a try, Thanks!

• mcarroll16
    2 years ago

I love how clean and minimal your kitchen is! But I agree that it could use just a little "something." The window is a natural focal point. I like the suggestions above to install a window treatment with some color. Another rolling shade, or a Roman shade. Maybe in green or blue. If you added a coordinating runner at the sink, it would really frame that space. Then you could add a fruit platter when you are in town for a few days. Or a cookie tin! I keep my overflow spices in one like this:

• wdccruise
    2 years ago

"I'm not a fan of the clock there either, but it was an anniversary present from my husband and I have no where else to put it, it cookoos!"

How about spray painting the clock so it's visible against the white wall?

Kate thanked wdccruise
  • M Riz
    2 years ago

I love the simplicity of your kitchen and the creamy colors of your cabinets, it looks calming and clean. I understand you took some decor from the counter for the picture. You can add a few things for a pop of color to the corner and where your clock hangs, which is prime real estate. For your kitchen, less is more I think.

Kate thanked M Riz
  • barncatz
    2 years ago

I realized I was thinking about this small kitchen (and her faucet!), from Remodelista that I have always admired when I first commented. Looking at her ceiling lights led me back to your original question. Although you don't show us your ceiling, investing in some cool surface mounts might be a simple punch for your kitchen. These are from Schoolhouse Electric.

• theresa21
    2 years ago

Can't you paint the clock wall--and its return a different color (gray or other neutral that coordinates with your backsplash) to make the clock stand out more. Add a plant near the sink and possibly a colorful bowl for fruit. I don't think you want a lot of accessories in this kitchen. And I love your clock!

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

I was going to suggest painting a space on the wall to highlight the clock. You can also explore a terrarium--a closed system, no watering needed.

• Kate
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Barncatz, I too think those lights look good, but I’m not sure anyone else thinks it’s okay to replace cans with flush lights. I also thought these might look good and more in line with my kitchen, (Not letting me post a pick from my iPad).

• just_janni
    2 years ago

I'd paint the cuckoo wall a vibrant color to make that fab clock jumo out, change the shade over the window to a pattern that picks up that color, a rug, and 2-3 counter worthy pieces (like fiestaware)

Kate thanked just_janni
  • H202
    2 years ago

I'm of the opinion that your kitchen is beautiful and doesn't need anything added. Please don't paint that clock of add 'fiestaware'.... lord no. I'm sure in real life, the two or three things on the counter is plenty enough of activity for an otherwise beuatiful serene kitchen.

• just_janni
    2 years ago

I said paint the WALL, not the clock. 'fiestaware' is in quotes because it's something that says "colorful kitchen object" in a way people understand - not necessarily Fiestaware itself.

The OP felt the kitchen was boring. I think it's lovely just needs something to make it slightly less anonymous. The clock is a great feature - but it's almost invisible!

• barncatz
    2 years ago

Photo has to be a jpeg format to post, I'm pretty sure.

I thought people were objecting to the star light specifically, and I agreed with that. But perhaps it was any surface mount. Whatever. I think those smaller lights are adorable (yes, like your clock.) I had saved a white s.m. that I've been thinking about to replace our can lights but I couldn't find it, so grabbed Schoolhouse. I haven't seen these fixtures used that often yet, but I have been loving them. ETA: Found it but can't post photo, lol. It's from The Current Collection, small, white hand thrown ceramic and the bulb doesn't show,

Without seeing your ceiling can lights, I can only guess, but I'm guessing small surface mounts could look great in your kitchen.

• Kate
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@barncatz, I've seen the plain white cylinders that I think would look good, thoughts?

Urban Jungle · More Info

• loobab
    2 years ago

I like your kitchen.

The most important thing in a kitchen is it functional, and if it works well for you, then it is likable.

That goes for spouses too.

I do hate can lights.

Maybe you can talk to someone that knows all about lighting.

I think there is someone here, I can't remember her name, is it Flo? Who specializes in lighting who would know best how to solve your problem.

I would also get a consultation with an electrician about how to handle the problem structurally.

I don't care for the all-white cuckoo clock either, but you can't really dump a present from your husband, that is a huuuge insult.

Just live with it.

If you want to introduce color in your kitchen, do it in other ways.

Kate thanked loobab
  • alisonfehlman
    2 years ago

I love that you are thinking outside of the box. i do agree that bringing attention to your ceiling isnt a great idea. i would add a piece of beight fun local art that has meaning to yiu and your family