SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdn1555

What lights should I use over kitchen islands and dining table?

jdn1555
4 years ago

I’m stuck!

My husband decided he wanted a stone fireplace. Though it is beautiful, it seems like it‘s dictating the style of everything in our home. Before the remodel started, I was thinking of using dark blues and whites fabrics, gold light fixtures and Tommy Bahama style. Because of the fireplace I feel like we need an antler or wagon wheel chandelier!

The fireplace is across from the kitchen and in full view.

We also recently demo’d the countertops (replaced it with sienna Bordeaux granite) and now the incongruency of the front island is even more evident (sink is not centered). We are replacing all of our light fixtures.

Question: Should I add pendant lights over the larger front island or will that just make it look more unbalanced?

If so, I was thinking three small lights—one over the sink and one on each side of sink (would replace the can light on left with pendant.)

I also want a light that doesn’t look as heavy as my pot rack over the second island (kitchen is already dark with only north facing windows). What type of light do you suggest over smaller island? Ideas for light over our 60” round dining table?

Finally, it’s hard to tell colors in these pictures, but if I use metal light fixtures, do you suggest black metal, brushed nickel like cabinet hardware or could I go with a polished silver?

My whole goal in remodeling the kitchen was to bring light into it. Any other suggestions are appreciated!

Comments (18)