SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elmerjfudd

Some areas are "job-rich" others "job-poor".

Elmer J Fudd
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

What term describes where you lived during your working years? Why did you choose the area you chose? Do you live in or near that same area now?

In the recent ADU thread, Zalco posted a link to a podcast that she recommended highly. I listened and found it quite interesting and insightful. I'll repeat the link at the end of this comment.

The interviewees know what they're talking about. One spoke of "job-rich" and "job-poor" regions, Job-rich areas are where the employment and other economic opportunities have been so broad and continuing in growth that that they've created housing demands (at all price levels) that cause unaffordable high real estate prices and housing shortages. And noted that most of these areas have been ineffective in dealing with the need to provide significantly more suitable housing, including those at affordable levels.

Several areas were mentioned, the usual suspects like areas in and around Boston, New York, Washington DC, Seattle, the SF Bay area, and coastal SoCal, and others. The relevant parts of these areas are those where people would live that would offer acceptable commutes (pre-pandemic) to their job locations. As I think about it, there are probably a dozen or such dynamic metro areas in the US, places that have experienced sustained high levels of explosive job growth and industry expansion. To describe what it's not, I'm sure real estate prices and job opportunities are higher in Omaha Neb-type locations than in Kearney Neb-type locations but that wasn't the point of what was being discussed.

I can kick it off. I started my career in one job-rich area and circumstances led to my moving to another job-rich area. Both are in the same state. During my career, the booming growth was exciting to watch and participate in, in a very small, pretty unnoticeable way but fun for me. Head-hunter calls, unsolicited job offers, new opportunities springing up, were all constants. Go go go. Still here, unlikely to change my primary residence.

How about you?

Here's the link to the podcast:

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5zaW1wbGVjYXN0LmNvbS84MkZJMzVQeA/episode/ZDk4N2RlNmMtZjE2Zi00MTUyLWE5MGEtZmRlNTIxMGViYjNi?sa=X&ved=0CAUQkfYCahcKEwjY5pr8t471AhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQAQ

Comments (28)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!