SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_931799248

Forced air heating - noise unbearable

HU-931799248
2 years ago

Hi there. I have a 'high-efficiency' gas furance, installed in 2008, that blows forced air into my older house at a variable speed. I can't stand the noise it makes and am looking for ideas and solutions.

Some background: I have a 1911 house in BC, Canada. The house is not well insulated and has single pane windows. It's quite small (only 950 square feet upstairs are heated by fored air furnace, another ~700 in the lower level has electric baseboards for heat).

When I purchased the home in 2004, there was an oil tank and older oil furnace. It heated the house well and I had no issue with the noise of the forced air until 2008, when I removed the oil tank and replaced my furnace with the current gas one. Immediately, I found the noise to be very obtrusive. First the intake makes a grinding noise, then air flow starts on low (which is ok) then ramps up to high (which is awful). Once it stops blasting, I have about 30 seconds before the cycle starts again -- at least while the house is heating up.

I asked the vendor who sold me the unit to 'fix' it, and he essentially told me I had to live with it. I don't think the air flow can be adjusted. I now understand that my ductwork may be too small for the air flow, but this wasn't something that was discussed with me at the time. I lived away from the house for several years (tenants never complained but I am noise-sensitive) and in my first winter back it's really grating on me. Does anyone have suggestions of where to start to tackle the problem?

Do I look at new ducting?

Thank you!

Comments (12)