SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shelly_k_gw

Radiant Heating in addition to forced air? Lots of questions

shelly_k
15 years ago

Hi, we are building a ranch home (3000 sq ft) with 2200 finished in the basement. The ceiling height on the main floor is 11 ft throughout. We are considering and pretty sure on doing radiant heating in the basement concrete. My questions:

Do people do radiant heating on the main floor as well? How does that effect how much or little you might use your regular forced air heat and thus our energy bills?

Our builder said that radiant heat in the basement concrete might be approx. an extra $10K. Might it be an additional $10K for the main floor as well? Or is their cost savings because we are already doing the basement?

We have a concrete covered deck off the main floor (over walkout deck). We will not enclose it at this time, but may in the future. Would you do radiant heat in that floor as well? (We live in South Dakota, read... cold!)

Does radiant heat actually heat the air? How much? Will we still use the forced air heat alot? I've never been in a home with radiant heat so I'm not sure how it will feel.

I assume the heat is a much moister heat that forced air, which I will really enjoy. Less shocks!

Thanks!!

Comments (18)