SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
george_georgopoulos33

New furnace not heating 2nd floor as well as old furnace

George Georgopoulos
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi there.We had a 24 year old 100,000 BTU 79% efficiency single stage ~1600CFM blower furnace B Vent type up a chimney liner replaced with an 80,000 BTU 96.7% efficient 2 stage furnace ~1500CFM that vents through wall now just 3 weeks ago. There is as well a new.2.5 ton A/C that's been installed.
As part of the replacement they recommended that the vertical return plenum just before the furnace br made 6inches; deeper than it was.
They told me that would provide better air flow.With the previous furnace I needed to keep the supply damper that controls air flow to the 2nd floor closed to about 45° otherwise the upstairs would get much warmer than the main floor.
With the return air plemun being widened, based I what I wad told, I was expecting to have to hold the heat back.to the 2nd floor more so than I was already doing.
Since the installation of the new furnace, seems like to matter what I do (damper wide open), I can't get enough warm air upstairs and now have a 3° temp difference (cooler) on 2nd floor than 1st floor.
Thermostat is located on 1st floor.
The 2nd floor was an addition 16 years ago and I've never had any trouble.heating the upstairs. Cooling was a bit of a challenge aa the A/C unit was likely 45 years old and sized for half the house that it has been serving the last 16 years.
The heating company that did the furnace and A/C replacement came out and looked over their equipment.
They in the end determined that the furnace was working optimally and that I have a problem with my ductwork.At the time of the addition, the HVAC work was engineered and stamped by the hvac engineer to satisfy the building permit as well, so it was all done properly; so far as I know.
While the heating company was here we learned that my return grills on main floor pull very well, but the grills on 2nd floor seem not to, and actually seem like they may be pushing air out of them rather than pulling in... How can this be ?
I am completely puzzled and very concerned for if I cannot get warm air to 2nd floor what can I hope for so far as cooling in warm months.
The horizontal return duct in basement that picks up the main floor grills and the 2nd floor starts off as a 22 x 8 and then sizes down to 10 x 8 to head upstairs.
I'm I the process of troubleshooting and will be sending a camera down the return ducts upstairs looking for a dropped section, or other challenges.
Any thoughts on why the challenge in getting air upstairs since the replacement?
Could the widening of the vertical plenum have created an imbalance and a problem that I didn't have in thr past?
They've been telling me that the previous furnace would have been burning at a hotter pace than the new ones and that may be contributing to the difference that we're experiencing.
Thanks for any help :-)
George

Comments (7)