SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spy10021

Long post - Brand new furnace not producing enough heat

spy10021
15 years ago

Hi everyone - I'll be greatly to anyone who might be able to offer some insight to me.

Last week I switched my heating system from oil to natural gas. My heating/plumbing guy replaced my old 35 year oil boiler with a new gas boiler (Dunkirk Plymouth Extreme PWX-4V).

Now the problem - with the new gas boiler, the house is just not warm enough (as compared to the old oil boiler).

Examples: The thermostat is programmed to stay at 60 degrees during the days (while I'm at work) and at night (while I sleep). The thermostat is programmed to be 70 degrees from 5-9 am and to be 70 degrees from 5-10 pm.

During the mornings, after 4 hours the temp only increases 4 degrees (from 60 degrees to 64 degrees). With the same setting, my old oil burner would have increased the temp from 60 to 70 within an hour or two. With this current situation with the new boiler, there is no chance I'll se 70 degrees until summer!

I called the plumber yesterday to explain the low heat problem. He said it was probably due to a problem with bleeding so he came out and bled and pipe and installed some little metal, acorn shaped pieces to the pipes that he said would help bleeding in the future. (Cost with labor = $500)

This morning, I woke to the same problem: In 4-5 hours, the temp only increased 3-4 degrees. Obviously, bleeding the pipes was not the issue.

My house is tiny - 1300 square feet so it's not like I'm heating a mansion. With the current situation, even if it runs 24/7 - I doubt the temp will ever get about 66 degrees.

I'm a nervous wreck as I could barely scrape together the initial money needed to change from oil to gas, the new furnace, installation, etc.

I'm just sick to my stomach at the thought that in an effort to save money and be more effecient, I've instead made a huge mistake. It's times like this I wish I had a husband :)

Can anyone imagine what the problem could be? I never had any problem with my old boiler. Should I give up on this plumber and find someone else? Could the boiler be bad? Am I screwed?

THANKS in advance to anyone who might offer me some advice.

FYI - I live in SW Connecticut - recent temps during day are in mid-30's and night mid-20's

Comments (38)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH