SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarosen_gw

Deciding among brands for new furnace

sarosen
15 years ago

My 27 year old gas furnace has died.

I have gotten bids from several HVAC companies, and would appreciate your input on some questions:

1) I have read the advice that the company standing behind the installation is more important than the brand of furnace.

Nonetheless, for a 95-96% high efficiency furnace, do you think there are any significant differences between a (IGNORE the differences in furnace size in the models below)

Carrier Infinity variable speed 58MVC100-F-1-20

Trane XV95 TUH2BO80R9V

Lennox G61MPV-60C-090

York Affinity

2) The non-Carrier folks point to the class action suit that Carrier settled as a BIG MINUS against Carrier, saying that a reputable company would have stood behind their product and not fought this issue in court for so long and just bucked up and admitted there was a defect. The Carrier folks dismiss this suit and settlement as a "bogus" issue

3) It is my understanding that Lennox has just come out with a system with a variable speed blower (and therefore it has not really been tested long out in the field) whereas Carrier has had this feature for many years. Trane I am not sure about. This seems like a big plus for Carrier??

4) I am planning to get an air filtration system (mostly for dust rather than allergies). Carrier comes with one included. The others would use a honeywell Electronic Air Cleaner or an Aprilaire 2200/2400. Not considering price, it is there a diference? Is Carrier's better because it's all build together and therefore more compatiable?

5) Lennox has an all stainless steel heat exchanger. Carrier's is coated (where the prior problem one in the class action suit, tho' I am told they now coat it differently) with poly something. Trane I don't know. A significant issue???

6) the bid for the York furnace was so far below the others it makes me wonder.......but the salesperson says its not common here in the west and also has had for years not only a variable blower but variable furnace (I think I have this right?) What do you think?

Thanks for any and all input.

Comments (7)