SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
littlemansion90210

Windows Sales Tax in Utah for New Construction Home - Please help

I'm confused about tax on windows for a new construction home in Utah. I worked with Sierra Pacific (my builder has a relationship w/ them). They were very non-straightforward with how sales tax is used on windows. The rep said due to software issues, they are not able to have a separate sales tax line item on invoices and orders. It needs to "buried" in the prices of windows. He also said the following which is really confusing:

"There issales tax on windows. How ever it is calculated different in Utah WHEN there is labor on the contract/order. IF there is no labor then the normal 7.75% sales tax is applied. Tax liability is calculated based of manufacturing costs when labor is included. The way I have to charge for tax in our system is to calculate it manually and then add it into the overall cost. It’s a software thing- our system can’t switch between two types of tax calculations. This tax liability is unique to Utah, since the calculation is based on manufacturing cost, the tax liability is less. A nice cost saving benefit for the home owners. Clear as mud? (Please note I have calculated your tax & it is in the estimate).

Now, keep in mind, it turned out that Sierra Pacific installed 1/2 the windows and my builder installed the other 1/2. And my work order did include a labor line item of $18K. But I just want a clear cut answer on whether windows are taxable and how much? They were ordered directly from my builder to Sierra Pacific. And should I be concerned that they are unable to specify a tax amount (line item) on any of their paperwork??

Comments (11)