SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jay_sack

Tips to save some bucks on new home construction

Jay S
4 years ago

Hello Guys,

I'm constructing a new house in CT. I'd like to get some wiggle room to absorb the 15% or so unforeseen costs. My aim is to save between 10-15K to get a little breathing room. I'm here to get some tips on what to do and where to look at. I talked to people around me and at work and got some good suggestions.

One quick point is that, the builder is my aunt's friend and due to this personal connection, he will let me buy my own appliances ($7000.00), light ($4000) and plumbing fixtures ($7500), flooring (hardwood, $22000), kitchen cabinets ($180000), vanity sink, etc. I have to deliver the stuff to him and he will install it for me. My local store is also offering countertop installation for free.

So far, below are the points I got to save some money.

• Do online shopping. There are so many options and great deals available, especially for fixtures
  • Talk to local stores for bargain, discontinued stock, deals, clearing sale, etc
  • Talk to the builder and get builder-discounts at some stores
  • Use basic standard stuff and upgrade later, especially appliances
  • A wild suggestion from a co-worker: Use no -interest-for-2-years credit card to buy some of the stuff instead of charging it to construction loan. Once you finish the project, then you get some time to make the credit card payment. This is not really saving anything for me. Just a suggestion to defer the initial burden.

Please feel free to suggest if you have additional tips to offer.

Comments (45)

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling