SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Need guidance on making things ahead....

amylou321
2 years ago

So, Christmas. Actually the day after Christmas. I am cooking for my moms family gathering. The issue is that I am working every night and she has requested a GAGGLE of food. I had planned to do the actual cooking on Christmas Day, to be brought to her house the day of. Some things I will finish cooking or warm through at her house, but I try to have as much done ahead as possible. I already got the ingredients, but looking again at the menu, I would really prefer to split the actual labor over 2 days rather than come home from work Christmas morning, cook all day, go back for another 12 hour shift Christmas night, then take all the food over there. I wonder hpow far ahead I can make some of these things. Here is the menu: ( well, it is what I am making)

Chicken dressing

Mac and Cheese

Potato salad

Scalloped Potatoes

Deviled Eggs

Olive Bread

Chip dip

Roasted Shrimp with Dip

Turkey meatballs with marinara

Pull apart cheesy Christmas tree.

All of this is easy, just some of it is fiddly. The devilled eggs, the meatballs, the olive bread. All individual little things that have to be done one at a time. I have to grate a TON of cheese ,make a pan of cornbread for the dressing, not to mention chopping all those veggies.. And it goes on. Anyway, any advice on which of these dishes will be okay to make 2 days in advance? Which ones keep the best? I will not be freezing anything, no room. Most things like the dressing and the scalloped potatoes will be assembled at my house and baked at hers. Or would it be better to cook it at home and reheat it there?

Comments (36)