SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gingersnap35

How to use ammonia, oxygen bleach, and detergent together in laundry?

Ginger K.
2 years ago

Hi there! First time poster, here. I’m currently suffering a laundry dilemma and was hoping someone could share their wisdom with me.

My husband’s skin is VERY oily. He also sweats profusely at night, leaving yellow stains all over his side of the bedding. I’ve tried a few things with what I have on hand and haven’t been able to get rid of the sweat stains, filmy build-up of sebum, or trapped odors.

I read through some posts and saw quite a few of you recommended combining clear ammonia and oxygen bleach (NOT chlorine bleach) to boost the detergent’s cleaning power, as well as washing sheets on the hottest water temperature setting.

I have a bottle of Tide Coldwater HE liquid detergent I’d like to finish up. Tide indicates on their website that it can be used in any water temperature, so that should’t pose an issue. For the oxygen bleach, I’m interested in trying Biz Stain and Odor Eliminator (the powder variety), since it also has the added bonus of containing enzymes… and likely at a higher concentration than what’s already in the Tide.

My questions —

#1. Is it safe to combine ammonia, Biz powder, and Tide Coldwater HE together in the same wash cycle? Or do you suggest a different approach to using these products? I’d hate to die from cleaning, heh.

#2. What amount of each product should I use in an HE top-loader washer? I know you’re not supposed to add more than 2 tablespoons of HE liquid detergent per load. What about the ammonia and Biz powder?

#3. What temperature water is best? Someone advised not using the hottest setting because it can render the enzymes in the Biz and Tide less effective, though I’m not sure by how much. They stated < 140°F was the ideal temp, if I remember correctly. But is this still hot enough to help break down sweat/body oil stains and accompanying odors?

#4. What should I do for the down-filled pillows? I can’t use ammonia on them, correct?

Thanks in advance to all who help!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County