SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Anyone had success lowering their LDL cholesterol

l pinkmountain
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Got a blood test this week and the results show that my LDL is high. Not off the charts high, but in the high range. Probably partly genetic. But it's never been an issue for me. Partly I think because I used to be a fairly strict vegetarian who only ate dairy once a day and lots of fiber . . . I've slacked up due to cooking for my husband and father, both of whom don't much care for "hippie food." The other part is probably because my activity level has fallen way off recently. I am about 20 lbs. overweight. So I'm thinking I have to make some changes so hopefully I won't have to take drugs in the future.

So I'm starting with the easy stuff, cutting out red meat which I don't much care for anyway, and cutting way down on dairy. Trying to up the fiber. And getting on a regular exercise routine.

Wondering if anyone here has successfully lowered their LDL cholesterol, and what techniques did you find most effective? Any "best" foods out there?

I know oatmeal is touted, and I love that. Hubs eats it almost every day for breakfast. I am more of a couple times a week on that. I am going to try to get back on tea, which I like straight. I had to switch to coffee due to a urinary tract condition but I don't like coffee black, I need half and half to make it barely tolerable. The urinary tract condition has died down so I'm going to try and see if I can drink tea again.

I am also going to try and stop the fruit juices and do more whole fruit and just water. Oddly, I really, really dislike plain water, even though people say, "How can you not like water, it has no taste." To which I reply, "Water does indeed have a taste." Our tap water is not acceptable by any means, it needs so much softener to treat if for not ruining the plumbing that it is high in sodium in addition to tasting horrid. So I hate all the plastic waste associated with bottled water and we haven't found a filter that solves the horrid tasting water problem. I drink flavored unsweetened soda water but that's pricey so I only drink one can a day tops.

Comments (45)