SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jojolatte

Kitchen Cabinet Dilemma

Jes
2 years ago

Does this cabinet look too heavy and awkward? Lowers will be replaced.

You guys have been so helpful I’m hoping you can help again! A kitchen refresh on a shoestring budget. I found some cabinets which I believe match the homes true character. Through the years all built-ins and cabinetry were removed from my 1920’s home.

Right now my dilemma is the space to the left of the sink. Last night I sat a cabinet there and I really like the look of it. The stacked cabinets match the wall of cabinets we’re in the middle of building. Originally I was going to chop it and only use the larger bottom portion and have a working counter space below but I love the look of a bookend cabinet and now I can’t get over the way this looks here… even though it really takes away from what little counter space I do have. I will have my island so I don’t see this being too big of an issue but please help! Does it look completely awkward and heavy? The lowers will be rebuilt

I will be replacing the counter and sink with an under mount apron sink 30” or 24” in length (the one currently is 37” L). I also want to add a dishwasher. A lot is going on along one wall but we can’t relocate plumbing or electrical for a few more years.

Comments (25)

• Jes
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Proposed Layout

• Jes
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Inspiration photo. Is this cabinet too big to pull it off?!

• Related Discussions

White Kitchen Cabinet Dilemma

Q

Comments (7)
    I have seams in my white painted maple cabinets, and I'm fine with it. They open up more in winter, less in summer. They are more visible at night than during the day. This is also true of the "seams" between the cabinets. In fact, I don't see how you could have a completely "seamless" kitchen, given that you have to join one material to another. So to me, it's a non-problem.
    ...See More

Kitchen Cabinet Dilemma!

Q

Comments (7)
    Why can't you put the switches in the side of the cabinet? Admittedly the back of the switch boxes would be inside the cabinet. I also don't understand the full picture - the cabinet goes 80" between two doorways, two other walls, or what?
    ...See More

Two tone kitchen cabinet dilemma

Q

Comments (1)
    If you end up painting you should do the appliance panels depending on where it is. Meaning if the dishwasher is lower level (obviously lol) do wood. Because the lowers will be wood. Fridge should be wood. Vent hood should be white. Etc. I would stain the cabinets the same as the floor if you can. Very pretty flooring. Love the color.
    ...See More

Wall out of plumb, kitchen cabinet dilemma

Q

Comments (2)
    And if you really feel industrious, you could take down the cabinet, tear off the drywall on that side of the wall (and possibly the end piece), and rebuild it. Even if you use a little trim to cover the gap, it looks as though there isn't wall space for it at the top so you might end up padding out the end of the wall anyway.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    2 years ago

I think it will be nice...I like it. Although I'm kinda a purist with old houses. I love that you are doing this with old school cabinets. Will they all be a stained finish or do you plan to paint it all? Or are you doing two tone? I think once all the same finish, it won't look so top heavy.

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

are you creating the inspir photo or are you wanting to utilize what is shown from your actual space/ not clear. I would not repurpose your cabinet in that way. I would try to purpose it elsewhere. RE the down to counter inspir photo in your space maybe at 24-27 in wide. If this were mine i'd want all counter there....so would not do what you are dreaming about. I might pull the cabs out and have deeper counters. I'd want wall cabs with stacked configuration so the space at top goes to ceiling. I'd pull the cabs away from window trim several inches so to not block light. Is the recreated wall the one adjacent to stove? rebuilding? thats enough repurposing in the kitchen . Make your long wall for efficiency and task functions. Do you have floor space for an island or worktable. Repurpose the extra piece there . a carpenter can do something. Has to be worth it.

• mcarroll16
    2 years ago

First "too big" test--get out your main cutting board, the one that you use most often for prep. Will it fit on the countertop between the sink and that cabinet? Because if not, that set up is going to drive you crazy.

• kandrewspa
    2 years ago

I love what you're doing with the old repurposed cabinets, but I wouldn't want to give up that countertop next to the sink. That's where we put dishes as we're clearing the table before they get put in the dishwasher or hand washed, and of course for prep as the previous poster mentioned. Since your range is on the other side of the sink you don't have very much counter space to begin with.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    2 years ago

I love old cabinets, and cabinets down to the counter, but not at the cost of prep/landing space. If you were adding an island with prep space it would work, but it doesn't appear that you have space for an island, so with limited counter space. I'd keep just the upper.

Please post your finished kitchen reveal!

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    2 years ago

I thought she said in original post she would have an island for extra countertop space

• Yayagal
    2 years ago

Could you take the upper section off and put it over the stove and then move the bottom part higher so you could use the countertop.

• daisychain Zn3b
    2 years ago

I really like it and would do it if, as you say, you'll have an island across from the sink. I would also do as another poster suggested above, pull the lower cabs out a bit to give you another inch or two of counter depth. We had that in our original kitchen and I completely forgot to ask for it with our current kitchen and still miss it 10 + years later.

I'm also wondering if you couldn't switch the range with that cabinet? If your new sink is smaller, that might give you a tiny bit more prep space between range and sink. It looks like there is a bit more space to the left of the sink but that might be an optical illusion.

• Debbie Downer
    2 years ago

I like it! It's called "down-dating", removing all the remuddling and taking it back to what it was (kinda, sorta).

Yeah, you have scant counter space but you also don't have much storage. And it looks so good with the other one like it on the adjacent wall. Traditionally early 1900s kitchen had a big work table in the center of the room - that doubled as a breakfast table much like the modern island. Maybe some kind of work table on wheels could fit somehow if a permanent island doesnt.

Since the cabinet could be used without attaching to the wall maybe just try it and postpone decision until you get more clarity on how you use your kitchen. I swear "try it and see" is how I make 90% of my decisions !

• mcarroll16
    2 years ago

I really worry about having that lovely wood so close to your sink zone. In my kitchen the bottom of that cabinet would get flooded way too often. It looks like you've got a little bit of clearance between the cabinet and ceiling. Maybe you could get a granite or quartz remnant to elevate the cabinet? Even 1/2" off the countertop would help extend the cabinet's lifespan.

• Jes
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@The Kitchen Place I have yet to decide whether I will refinish the old school cabinets or paint them. They are a bit too yellow for me as is. I am not afraid of stripping them although I do fear being able to match the newer wood tones (bottom pull outs on that full cabinet wall). I love the look of two toned. Or possibly just this cabinet stained & the range hood to match? all others painted?

@herbflavor I'm sorry to confuse! My mind is everywhere lately. Yes, the recreated wall is the one adjacent from the stove. Originally upper wall was plaster and a sliding cabinet on the lower. We created shallow 10" deep floor to ceilings due to space issues and no room to expand them in depth (and the fact that we had to have space to open the stove). It amazes me how much just the uppers can hold. You have some great points, thank you! I have a free standing island in which I will be replacing but that is a whole other thread! I will attach a floor plan so you can get the jist of the room layout. I plan to have the island on wheels as I have big dogs and it's nice to move it out of the way if need be.

• Jes
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@mcarroll16 that's the thing! I plan to make a cutting board to go over the sink if needed and currently have one to go over the stove top. It's a little trick I discovered while camping in our camper. Thankfully it's just hubby and I :) I love the idea of putting the cabinet on a slab of granite. The lowers will be coming up .5-1" but I'm pretty sure there will still be enough clearance for the slab. I would have never thought of that. I love this group! Thank you

• julieste
    2 years ago

I've been there and done this. Twenty five years ago we found an entire kitchen of cabinets from a 1920s mansion for sale for $500. Our 1916 house had the absolutely worst, bottom of the line, cheap cabinetry that had been installed in the 1960s. We tore out the cheap 1960s cabinets, re-purposed the vintage cabinets and had new custom cabinetry made to fill where we needed different types of cabinets.

I stripped all of the vintage cabinets, and re-stained both them and the new custom made cabinets to match. No one can tell the difference between the vintage and the new custom made unless they open the cabinets because today's wood is thinner. It's a lot of work, but it is a relatively inexpensive way to get a charming and authentic kitchen. I still love it today. Our remodel wasn't the least bit trendy so it doesn't look at all out of style; it belongs in the house.

Now back to your original question. Yes, in old houses that upper frequently sat on the counter despite the fact that it is a loss of counter space. When you get your lower cabinets made, have a breadboard made in that lower cabinet. it will give you extra space and is authentic to the era.

Have fun, and good luck.

• julieste
    2 years ago

Forgot to say that I had the cabinet maker install toe kicks with "feet" (like in your inspiration photo) for that vintage feel.

Those cabinets will be lovely if they are stripped and re-finished. I have similar original glass knobs on all of my cabinets (we re-purposed everything we could). The biggest thing you need to do when getting the lowers made is to make sure that they have inset doors similar to the uppers. Get some nice wide crown molding for the uppers to finish it all off. It's all the details like this that make a difference. I did soapstone and marble counters for more age-appropriate counter materials.

I'm not there or I'd post some photos for you.

• Jes
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@kandrewspa I completely agree. It's such a struggling thinking what "could" work for us and what will be irritating after a while.

@mama goose_gw zn6OH I do have space for an island (thankfully & really the only reason why I'm considering this) :) Here is the kitchen floor plan before I added the wall of cupboards/pullouts. They are along the 5'4" wall

• Jes
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Yayagal I have thought of putting uppers above the stove but I'd really like free standing range hood above the stove top if possible. I was thinking of possibly hiding a cabinet within the range hood. Not sure if I can pull that one off though due to space for duct work and what not

@daisychain Zn3b Are you just suggesting to pull the lowers out where the upper is only? or along the whole wall? Do you happen to remember what the depth of the counters were? Unfortunately I can't switch the range

• Jes
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Debbie Downer Thank you! I do plan to have an island on wheels to use as working space as needed which should give me a nice awkward multi triangle to ping pong off of lol It's actually what I have now as I put my old island on casters so I can move it around during the craziness we call life, living in home during prolonged renovation & not being organized. I like it so much I'm putting casters on whatever island I decide to use next. Currently the kitchen is the main hub of the home and we use it as our drop zone. I'm really hoping we're able to curb this habit once it's done!

• Jes
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@julieste So glad to know I'm not the only crazy person wanting to do this lol That sounds lovely!! I would love to see photos if you happen to have them. I will definitely do crownmolding and inset drawers. I love all the details of old cabinetry. I wish I had a bigger space to work with. Some day! Do you by chance remember what you used for the drawer pulls with the glass knobs?

• julieste
    2 years ago

I just did glass knobs everywhere, and it worked out fine. Some people use those old fashioned bin pulls though.

• amykath
    2 years ago

I love the old school cabinets! Are you replacing your countertop? Also, what are you planning for the floor?

Julieste, do you have any photos you would share?

• Jes
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@amykath you don’t love my floor choice?! lol I have a weathered-ish vinyl plank for the floor. I can grab a pic in a bit. under many layers of who knows what lays the original maple hardwood. the condition of that wood is unknown but it is there. eventually when we renovate the main level I’d like to refinish the hardwood depending on its condition. I’m leaning towards butcher block counters sealed very well in sink area (unless you know of another penny saving material that would hold up to an undermount sink)

• Debbie Downer
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hey I like that floor - a good example of "whats old is new again." In a kitchen you are likely to find water damage in the wood underneath, but who knows - worse case scenario maybe it gets painted (some highly durable floor paints these days) or maybe damaged areas replaced.

As a huge fan of vintage wood I would argue in favor of keeping your vintage cabs as bare or stained wood. 100 yr old cabinets, doors, trim - that's whats left of the virgin timber that was cut down in late 1800s/early 1900s so quality is waaayyy beyond the farmed wood of today. And these are becoming quite rare as time goes on - with prices in salvage stores rising accordingly.

lMO an interior always benefits with SOME natural wood in it, if only hard or painted surfaces it can look a little sterile and cold. Stain colors may come and go according to fashion, but the concept of wood itself - never. Currently some very nice grayed out browns. That said - the rich butterscotch of aged shellacked yellow pine (what you have) IMO is quite lovely. I kinda understand people on this forum not liking 1980s golden oak but - THIS IS NOT THAT. Consider including butterscotch brown-gold as part of your color scheme.

If you go with wood on top, you might consider going darker for your painted cab colors for a more balanced, less top heavy look, or balance it out with your color(s) on the floor whether wood or something else. Just some thoughts 4 U to consider - carry on!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    2 years ago

Jes, I was thinking the kitchen looked smaller than 11'9", but good to know that you have the space for a prep island. I prep, and roll dough, on the 3' side of my 5x3 island, so 4' will be more than sufficient.

I did the same as julieste--bought some old cabinets and incorporated them into my modest kitchen and DR remodel. They don't have drawers, so I used new drawer bases on the other side of the kitchen, and because the uppers are too shallow for my plates, I use them m/l as pantry storage. The upper shelves house part of my collection (hoard ;) of vintage pottery.

The red Artisan KA has been replaced with a bowl-lift model, so it now resides at my DD's new home.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!